The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
the movie 'Shotta's" - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: the movie 'Shotta's" (/showthread.php?tid=36458)

the movie 'Shotta's" - Sharleen - 11-15-2011

In my household, we rent quite a bit of movies and mini-series & BBC specials from Netflix, especially since everything on television seems to be reality based.
Everything from "The Wire" to "Dowton Abbey" to "The Corner" to even kind of flippant shows like "Brothers and Sisters" and shows like "Madmen" -- it's nicer to watch the shows with no commercials, just straight through... anyways, the other day we got a three part BBC show and within the preview section they had the movie "Shotta's' that looked a bit interesting, sort of violent, but the background music sure was nice! Has anyone seen this yet? Below is the review from Amazon.com. Because of my broken rib & reportedly they heal up faster with "REST" I've been watching more movies & miniseries than I usually do.

Amazon.com
In Jamaican patois, a gangster is a "shotta" or "shot-caller." Like The Harder They Come and Third World Cop, Cess Silvera choreographs his crime drama to a reggae beat. Bob Marley’s son Stephen provides the music, while Wyclef Jean drops by as a dealer. The saga begins in late-1970s Kingston. Teenagers Biggs (J.R. Silvera) and Wayne (Carlton Grant Jr.) have had their fill of poverty, so they get a gun and start looting and shooting like the shottas they idolize. Flash forward 20 years and Biggs (Stephen’s actor/musician brother, Kymani Marley) has just been deported from the States. He picks up where he left off, joining Wayne (DJ Spragga Benz) and the psychopathic Mad Max (Paul Campbell, Dancehall Queen) in the thug life. As with Pacino's Tony Montana, Miami is their ultimate port of call. Silvera acknowledges the debt to Brian De Palma's Scarface, but there isn't as much drama here--just a lot of violence (spurting blood is a running motif). Cinematographer Cliff Charles uses all manner of visual trickery to lively up the joint, like grainy black and white, slow motion, and jump cuts. The soundtrack also helps to keep things moving, but it's hard to feel sympathy for those who feel no sympathy for anyone but themselves. Vicious as he was, Montana still had a smidgen of sensitivity. As with The Harder They Come, this English-language production is subtitled due to strong accents and pervasive slang. --Kathleen C. Fennessy
Product Description
In the tradition of Scarface and The Harder They Come, Shottas is an unapologetic raw urban drama about two friends raised on the dangerous streets of Kingston, Jamaica. Biggs (Kymani Marley) and Wayne (Spragga Benz) take on the "shotta" (Jamaican term for gangster) way of life to survive. As young boys, they begin a life of crime, eventually moving to the U.S., where they begin a ruthless climb from the bottom to the glittering top of a criminal enterprise in a Miami filled with fast cars and gorgeous women. The two men remain fiercely bound by their shottas loyalty as they aggressively take control of the Jamaican underworld.

Re: the movie 'Shotta's" - Tammy - 11-16-2011

Shar I watched it maybe 4-5 months ago on Netflix and I really liked it. It is Gangsta and violent throughout much of the movie however it shows the reality of that life. I really enjoyed it and wouldn't mind watching again.

Re: the movie 'Shotta's" - irijah+laish - 11-16-2011

greets
it's a really good movie...not for young children though, as there is a lot of violence in it...after the first few times of watching it (i bought it), i still loved the movie, but i watch it now mainly for the shower scene...OOOOO LAAAA LAAAA!!! ...blessings all!!!

Re: the movie 'Shotta's" - JonTom - 06-06-2012

Can't recall what sidetracked me to find these old threads, but now that I'm here...

Watched this last year or earlier, probably just b/c Paul Campbell was in it.
He plays a spaced-out, murderous, deranged person really well, but still...

wasn't anyone slightly put off by the whole born-in-the-gutter, by-any-means-necessary glorification of violence? I mean, 2 kids find a gun, use it to rob and shoot a delivery driver, so what should happen? = reward with drug kingpin status of course.

I'm SMH, where JA is DWL.

Re: the movie 'Shotta's" - jeannieb - 06-06-2012

The re-start of this thread made me a little sad...seeing Sis's post. RIP Sis.