The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Gardeners, season over, what worked ? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Gardeners, season over, what worked ? (/showthread.php?tid=35909)

Gardeners, season over, what worked ? - Sharleen - 11-06-2011

I had some things that didn't work at all & some things that worked great. It seems to vary year to year. This year my crop of yellow & green zuchini's were only so so, while last year I had an amazing amount, like more than I could ever cook. This year I think I only had a dozen of each kind. I cook them on the grill with a little bit of cheese, onions & tomatoes.

For one, I have had a woodchuck living underneath my shed -- when I would drive home from work at lunchtime (to walk my dog) -- he would be there right in my garden area. This also affected my tomato's -- I had quite a bit of large plants with a huge amount of green tomato's that disappeared.

Spinach -- great huge crop this year. I use spinach in everything -- also like to cook it with stewed tomatoes/chick peas. Yellow (bananna peppers) -- huge amount this year - green peppers, really extremely CRAPPY growing season this year, a rarity.... cucumbers, again, I blame the woodchuck.. I usually have a really great crop of cucumbers and this year I think I had something like three or so.

Eggplant -- I had an amazing amount of white eggplants this year. I use a light amount of breadcrumbs, sharp Vermont cheese & my home made (quite thick) spaghetti sauce. YUM..

My purple / Japanese eggplants really didn't thrive this year. I think only two or three grew nice this year, whereas with my white eggplants I had about sixty.

Huge crop of kale, all herbs have grown really well -- too much -- certain herbs just spread and spread.

Another crop that has done really really well is acorn squash, whereas my butternut squash didn't grow very well at all this year. My red peppers grew well but my green peppers didn't grow at all this year.

Potatoes grew well this year, as did my onions.. same plot of land my carrots didn't do well, like "I can only find maybe four or so" ??

The soil where I live is really good BUT after you dig about six inches then you start to come upon rocks and shale. The quality of your soil is what makes your garden grow or not grow. I do sometimes go into the woods behind my property and dig out soil and move it into my garden area. I also have a pretty big compost pile but each and every time I dig there I find a deer tick on me.

I really really LOVE to grow vegetables and herbs at my home & feel really badly about the horrendous weather that will be here all too soon. I live in upstate NY and during Jan/Feb/March my entire plot of land can be covered with a thick layer of ice. YUK

Re: Gardeners, season over, what worked ? - jeannieb - 11-07-2011

I had a decent year. I had an early crop of snow peas but once the weather got hot, they stopped producing. I then replanted a second crop of Wando peas which are heat tolerant and they did ok. The Wando peas are better for shucking and using the pea instead of eating the entire pod.

Green beans did great! I froze many of them but they are all already gone. This was another veggie I replanted mid way through summer was able to get a second crop. Next year I will be planting more.

Hot Peppers did wonderful. For some reason though, the Scotch Bonnets, while looked great, were not that hot. The JA country peppers though, wowzas! They were almost unbearable. I had an overabundance of hot peppers. They are fun to grow but there's only so much you can do with them.

Green Bell peppers did amazing. I actually had more than we and our neighbors could use. I ended up freezing several bags

I planted some onions and garlic. This was the first year I planted them so I didn't plant that many but next year, I will be planting a lot more. I was using them as fast as I picked them.

Tomatoes are the only thing that did aweful! I ended up going to the local amish auction and buying more tomatoes to finish making my canned salsa and canned tomatoes. I had planted a few unique tomatoes like Black Seaman and a special

A friend gave us some pickling cucumbers. I made 2 jars of dill pickles. Next year I will be planting them myself. They were amazing and gone in 2 days.

My mom has about a 1/4 acre garden in the country. Next year she and I are sharing the space so she will have help in the garden and I will have more space to grow things I like.

Re: Gardeners, season over, what worked ? - VenusdeMilos - 11-07-2011

Well done all of you, bc that is some hard labour to commit to, but there is enormous satisfaction to be had by putting something on the table, that you have grown yourself. We too grow our own veggies and summer fruits. Now we have Broccoli, Cauliflower and cabbage.

Im not that keen on gardening, it is a daily chore. My son is enthusiastic though and we all muck in (literally).

However, I feel blessed that we are fortunate enough to have somewhere to home grow. Certainly helps keep the kids and the shopping bill healthy.

Can you imagine how hard it must be for some city families that have no outdoor space, considering how expensive fresh produce is nowadays?

Re: Gardeners, season over, what worked ? - irijah+laish - 11-09-2011

greets...
even if ones have a smallish garden it is good to rotate the positioning of the plants each year...also, when you til at the end of the season (in the fall, which you should), and mix in all the nutrients, compost, newspaper you will need for the spring planting (when it will be til time again), it is good to plant a cover crop such as rye, etc...it will hold the nutrients in your soil better and also add necessary nutrients to your plot...and in the spring when you til again you just turn the rye, etc into the soil...kinda like instant composting...bless...

Re: Gardeners, season over, what worked ? - Angel - 11-09-2011

Jajewel too bad I was not coming would give you the seeds you wanted. Maybe someone else could. :-)