The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Hey Everyone! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Hey Everyone! (/showthread.php?tid=35361)

Pages: 1 2

Hey Everyone! - LostBeachBum - 10-29-2011

Just wanted to stop by and say high to everyone. Its been a great trip so far. Long lazy days in my hammock and peaceful nights under the stars at my own private resort. A looong roadtrip that circumnavigated the entire island (Honda 125) Lots of cooking and trying new cookshops anywhere I can find them plus frequenting my old favorates. Went to some great parties, some not so great. Its a very hard time here right now, the hardest ive seen it. People are thin, their spirits seem down and the begging is worse than ever. But my NOs are strong and most people get the point right away. This trip has ruined Negril for me which I will elaborate on once I feel like typing a book, the beach area anyway. It has caused me to feel strong resentment towards Jamaicans and become very upset at times which has led to 2 altercations. The only time I will ever go to the beach area now is if Im passing through or going to my 2nd favorate pork shop, Ossies, the first being Red Dragon (Ragga Bones).

This trip has been a real eye opener for me. Maybe because Im becoming wiser as i get older or because ive traveled other developing countries and seen how their way of life is and how they interact with foreigners. I love Jamaica and it will always have a place in my heart, but this will be mý last trip for a long time. Much of my feelings go back to what we talked about in the begging thread. I ám treated differently here than i am anywhere else. its a shame because jamaica has the potential to be a truly wonderful place, but until its people learn to pick up the pace, lose their sence of entitlement, the constant hustle and begging and strengthen their work ethic, things will always be as they are. I have seen most of this country now and nearly every single nook and cranny I was treated the same way by some, not all, like a walking ATM. Im white, i must be rich so i should give you some money or a cigarette or buy them a beer or a meal, it neve stops. I am a young solo white male traveler on a motorcycle dressed like a typical backpacker and show no flash, but still it happens everywhere. Everywhere accept Treasure Beach where I am sitting as i type this. I found a wonderful little guesthouse near billys bay called Nuestra de casa, to take a vacation from my vacation with my new german friend. Had a wonderful dinner at Jakes last night, found private hidden beach and well, the rest is for me... Anyway, i hope everyone is well and enjoying themselves as much as i am. ill post some pics when i have time. it´s a long ride back to broughton sometime today. im here for a few more weeks so if anyone wants to catch up, let me know, i have lots of seasonings i need to use up so cookout anyone?

Bless Up!
John

Re: Hey Everyone! - Tammy - 10-29-2011

So good to hear from you John. Thanks for checking in with us. Sorry to hear things are worse but can't say I'm surprised. Being stressed is not something I look for in my vacation that's for sure.

Looking forward to hearing a lot more from you when you return. Stay safe and enjoy the rest of your time. Have you been by Jah B's on the beach at all? If you do happen to stop by please give them all my love and tell Jah B and Miss Joyce I so miss them and love them dearly. If you like pork you have to try Tim's browstew pork, it is the BEST on the Island I can assure you. Make sure he is doing the cooking and no matter what you order you will not be disappointed I promise.

Take care John and travel safely

Re: Hey Everyone! - jeannieb - 10-29-2011

I am so glad you checked in. I've been wondering how your adventures are going. I am really looking forward to reading your stories.

P.S. Treasure Beach IS wonderful isn't it?

Re: Hey Everyone! - Angel - 10-29-2011

Lostbeachbum hope the remainder of your trip is better. Enjoy! Yes anywhere the begging gets old even in the states.

Re: Hey Everyone! - macyoder - 10-29-2011

Ok Wendy, have to get that image outta mi head:-)

Negril is the one place I have visited in my life where I say never again. Yes, I am going back but on the cliffs. The guys refused to believe that I was not there for them. They down right asked how can you be happy with your hubby because his 'kind' can't....Hmmmmmm

You don't want to know what I replied. I think they are still shocked dat dis sweet dawta can talk like dat.

Re: Hey Everyone! - Angel - 10-29-2011

Macy I'm sure what you told them it was good. :-)

Re: Hey Everyone! - Yvonne - 10-29-2011

Glad you're having a good time. I hear you on the walking ATM. Just spoke to a friend yesterday who is in Negril. It's not the higglers doing the $$$ requests, it seems like most everyone who knows you from past trips is asking for a little help, a little something. Worse than ever before. Times tough, for sure.

Re: Hey Everyone! - LostBeachBum - 10-29-2011

Which is the best cook shop in treasure beach? I want to grab lunch before I head back.

Re: Hey Everyone! - jitterbug - 10-29-2011

~ Lostbeachbum ~ wrote:

Its a very hard time here right now, the hardest ive seen it. People are thin, their spirits seem down and the begging is worse than ever.

its a shame because jamaica has the potential to be a truly wonderful place, but until its people learn to pick up the pace, lose their sence of entitlement, the constant hustle and begging and strengthen their work ethic, things will always be as they are.

Everywhere accept Treasure Beach where I am sitting as i type this. I found a wonderful little guesthouse near billys bay called Nuestra de casa, to take a vacation from my vacation with my new german friend.

i could not have summed the jamaican experience any better. well done . . . i can second everything you say, except, i'm not ready to give it up yet.

i especially agree with your statement about jamaican's ppl and what they have to do to make a change . . . i don't see that happening in my lifetime though.

Re: Hey Everyone! - Jenny - 10-29-2011

I too found Treasure Beach to be a real anomaly; no folks hustlin' ya. Love that place! Have a great time, B'Bum!