The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Selling yam, banana and fish pon di road!!!! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Selling yam, banana and fish pon di road!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=33469)

Selling yam, banana and fish pon di road!!!! - Miss+Jamaica Soul - 10-09-2011

2003 again....must have been a vintage year!

Sitting alone on day at one of my favourite "lickle" bars.I liked this as I could talk to everyone...young and old, local and "part time" jamaicans (ie jamaicaholics like me!).Part time meant in no jest..just that we travellers become part time jamaicans when we are invited to .

A friend(not a boyfriend!) appeared looking weary and upset.he had to head over to Clarendon for a Wake and family funeral.Would I like to come along?No ulterior motives....mi friend treats everyone the same.Putting his hand in his pocket....paying for rounds of drinks too.....passing a "dolla" to the curious wee boy or girl pon di road.He loved to work hard.

See I told you im blown away by the good, good people I know.

"Ok "said my friend "Mek you go and pack"..rolling his eyes..."memba me have goods in the back of di truck!"

OOps betta not appear with a massive case then!

He had a crop of yam and bananas and would be working "selling" on the way.

Fish was added later..... oh the smell(!!!)..... after the yam etc sell off.He produces a quaint old set of scales and off we go!

Again twisting, winding roads........Driving "around"lazy, sleepy dogs lying on the road, donkeys braying while ......sauntering along the road to" the pipe!"

Children pon di side of the road with lickle baggies of sugar cane sticks...oh see what some people are missing out on.I mean that with all my heart.

Stopping at this yaad and that yaad..selling!He patiently shows me how to weigh the goods and I watch the real heads of the house....the ladies..fully inspecting the goods.I love the way bananas or say mangoes are described as "Pretty an nice!"

Everywhere I go island wide mi mus, mus have a wee cup of soup..conch or chicken foot without the foot please!Or Crunch!!!!!!!

Drama as ever on the way Different Constabularly...and my first road block!!!!!!
Trying to say we didn't have seat belts on...we actually did!Yep we did! No...Im not his"wife".I live here!

We on the way to the Wake....okay mi friend.Sorry miss.....no harm done.Gwan!

Panic over!!!!Told you i was a newbie once!

Sometimes I just want to be by myself ..looking at the scenery and taking it all in!Selfish.. I know!

Passing through the Milk River /Springs areas...nearly there.Lots of local families out down there.... noisy chatter .....sun beginning to set.....music playing in the distance...sound......drifting....this is so different to Negril!

We reach the family farm.Family lovely.....hospitable and I feel humble and shy at first..kind of not wanting to intrude on their grief.They are so welcoming..no hidden agendas.

Head over to the wake.I couldn't believe how big the sound system was or how many people were there.There was a beautiful row of candles pon di lane (each side)This looked so beautiful..and spiritual and I later saw the same at a Wake in Orange Hill a couple of years later.

This and the funeral the next day was a moving, sad and joyous occasion.All emotions came out.The singing(of old , old songs) was so beautiful.

I dont fear death now.It was an honour to attend this "9 night"" followed by the service the next day.

Again this is so uniquely "Jamaican".

Respect

Miss Jamaica Soul x

Re: Selling yam, banana and fish pon di road!!!! - oldtimer - 10-09-2011

Now THAT'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! an adventure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Selling yam, banana and fish pon di road!!!! - Debra - 10-09-2011

Welcome, Miss Jamaica Soul :~}

Did you witness the 'garry'?

That is really something to behold. It happens very late in the night at the
dead yards.