The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? (/showthread.php?tid=33444)

Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? - jeannieb - 10-08-2011

The pictures of the Tosh mausoleum make me wonder... I read somewhere that in JA (folklore) it is considered rude to take a picture of the tomb or gravesites. Some people believe that a duppy can be brought out by taking a photo. I was very careful to NOT get the tomb itself, only the walls around it (just in case).

For those of you who've been to Nine Mile, it is specified that NO pictures be taken inside Bob's mausoleum. I did not but there were people in our group who did. There have been a few grave sites in JA that I've wanted to take pictures of but refrain from doing so.
Kinda like here at home, we don't photograph the Amish out of respect of their beliefs.

Do you take pictures of tombs/graves in JA? Anything ever been said to you about doing so?

Re: Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? - rastagirl777 - 10-08-2011

Wow Jeanie, thanks so much for bringing this up.

I like to photograph grave-sites/cemetaries, especially old ones. It started when I visited Pere la Chaise and was so inspired by the art and tribute these sites made to the deceased...so I've managed to make a small collection of cemetaries in Philadelphia, Coloma CA and of course our very own "boot hill" here in Bodega.

I've wanted to go to a cemetary and take pix in JA. But I know if I told my driver that he'd think I was nuts...we didn't even tell him or the farmer we were visiting in Orange Hill when we very discreetly scattered our friends ashes amongst the plants. There's lots of superstition surrounding death in Jamaica.

I would never consider photographing grave sites in someone's yard. I'd thought I'd take a route taxi or walk to the small cemetary in RedGround where I actually kind of know someone buried there. But...I too want to know if this is a huge cultural taboo - and if so, my collection will be Jamaica-less.

Re: Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? - Tanya - 10-08-2011

As far as I know there is no taboo in taking pictures of graves in Ja.
unless you "fraid a duppy"
many people now a days take pictures of the deceased in "repose" .

There is superstition about pointing at or in the direction of a grave or cemetery.

Re: Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? - suzengrace - 10-08-2011

I've taken a few pictures-So far no duppy bother me...

Re: Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? - rastagirl777 - 10-08-2011

Glad to hear it! This winter for sure I'm trekking up to Redground to visit my "acquaintance" and get a few shots.

Re: Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? - wit - 10-09-2011

Scotland outer Hebrides Smile Callinish Stones

Between 2900 and 2600 BC.

Re: Photographing tombs/graves in Jamaica? - VenusdeMilos - 10-11-2011

Exactly as Liz said but if in doubt just ask as we did @ Peter Tosh place.

Last time in Jamaica where we stayed there was a small cemetary that was also a shortcut back to our digs. Locals had no phobia about walking or pointing us that direction. It was actually a very peaceful place and made a pleasant walk.