The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Jamaica the Island-info/recs/experience wanted.. - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Jamaica the Island-info/recs/experience wanted.. (/showthread.php?tid=32838)

Jamaica the Island-info/recs/experience wanted.. - suzengrace - 10-05-2011

Yes, its easy to bring to light the negatives of a place-its needed..This world, ya know Ying/Yang -cant have a positive without the negative..

Wendys Pics of Bluefields reminded me of all this island has to offer-and of course there is a lot more...Hence this post..

I'd love to get feedback from ya all about Jamaica..Places off the radar, places that maybe we all here of and dismiss because of their commonality..Places that Wowed you, charmed you, bewildered you ..places of history, and just plain unusual..Not just places, but places you've stayed, eaten at,happened upon..
Places that are/will alwasy be in your place of memories(and trying to stay on a positive note here)There are so many places on this island that we all have never heard of or have-but haven't had a perspective on..

We all are on this board because of one common thread..Jamaica,all the negative aspects aside-must be enough positives that were all still here..

So would love to hear from everybody the places that have touched you(recent or from 1st time you set foot on Jam)-that you want to share and feel others show know about..And not just from all you usual suspects(wink-the usual posters) but those that lurk or click on once in while..I 'd love to hear your experiences,and please up-load if you got pictures..I think we all love those-but they're not necessary.. I'm not just talking about out-of the way places (But YES-please bring them-how else will one know about these places?? I want to hear about them) But even cool places in Negril or MBJ, PA, Ochie,TB ,Kingston, etc..Some experience/place that is special that maybe we haven't heard about-or have but with your own personal story...

Ok.I share my own soon as I sort out my pics ..But really would love to see everyone's contribution..

Re: Jamaica the Island-info/recs/experience wanted - oldtimer - 10-05-2011

Go across the interior.If you can roust out Nanook she can give you LOTS of info.I've been across the interior 100 times but not in the last 10 years.

Re: Jamaica the Island-info/recs/experience wanted - rootswoman - 10-05-2011

NIce topic Suzen

My German friend met the German owner of this guest house in the airport one day and he invited her to come for a visit.
http://www.shafston.com/index.html

It is Bluefields up on a hill with exquisite views. It was a surprisingly busy place with mostly German travelers. When you talked about adventures this place came to mind. Well, I don't know what happened as it has been some years but when we were there he had the most amazing zip line course he built. It ended in his swimming pool! He was hoping to have excursions come to his place and I don't know what happened.

We didn't do the zip line - it was complete but he was waiting for some sort of licence or approval. I never heard of it again so perhaps he was vetoed.

If anyone is in the Bluefields area looking for an adventure go check this place guy out. It is a beautiful property and the European guests were having a really good time there.

Re: Jamaica the Island-info/recs/experience wanted - Sundowner - 10-05-2011

In 89, I took a motorcycle trip into "the bush" with my Jamaican friend to see where he grew up. It was only 4 days but seemed like much longer. Beautiful ride up the mountains into Mandeville. Gas strike was in full force at the time. We had to sit in a long line at the gas station, I recall. But no one seemed concerned. We ate chicken while waiting and soon the strike was over, everyone cheered and we all got moving again. LOL.

We spent a night in a guest house in May Pen - met two very interesting ladies there. Then the next morning drove along the gorge and across Flat Bridge into Bog Walk. That's the part of the trip that will always stay with me. Early morning down in the gorge and it was pure fog - or mist, maybe. Completely socked in. It was very silent and still. We had to stop there and wait for it to lift before we could continue on. We had tea in a bar there - I was the only female, which was of some concern to my companion, but turned out to be just fine. Once the fog lifted, we took a little cruise around Bog Walk - took some pictures of the train station - wish I knew how to scan and post them. Awesome place, just loved it so much.

Around noon, we left and continued on to Linstead, where we stayed a few more nights in a really quaint inn. I witnessed the most beautiful sunrises over the sugar cane fields from there. Went into the country every day to hang with my companion's friends at their little house in the country. Took long walks with their 3-year-old son for miles along the country roads and maybe encountered one car on our walks. It was so beautiful that sometimes I'd just get choked up - couldn't even put it into words.

Had to go into Linstead one day for some pain pills (cramps on a motorcycle - not fun.) I was the focus of a lot of attention that day - not many Whiteys in Linstead back then, I guess. The pharmacist brought me a glass of water to take my pill and offered me a chair to rest a bit. Kind, kind people.

It was an experience I still talk about with my same companion (who I will be marrying in two weeks!) I wish we could do it again, but he says there's too much traffic on the roads now to safely take a bike trip like that. The little rum bars along the way... the kids waving and hollering at us as we'd drive through a village. I loved every single minute of it.

Re: Jamaica the Island-info/recs/experience wanted - suzengrace - 10-06-2011

Congrads Sundowner!!!! Lighthouse park..wow sounds cool...Guess you decided he's keeper (LOL).

Thank you for your wonderful travel description -Like I could close my eyes and imagine it..

Now come on , all the rest of you -I know you got something to contribute,don't you??? (oh liz, JamaicaMatt-and everyone else)