The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses (/showthread.php?tid=31963)

Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - macyoder - 09-27-2011

Macy, so you're saying it's best if tourists wear their rose coloured glasses and not be informed?

Gurl, they work wonders...lol! How much information one needs on the running of a country and the government for a week's vacation. Didn't people travel to Jamaica before the information era with only a airline ticket and the name of some place to stay. Many people going to an A/I care more about the food and drink than the reality of how their vacation came about. I traveled so long before the information era, I need but so much.

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - medi - 09-27-2011

That's the way it is for most. When I was driven by some of the large monstrosities I could never picture myself there..couldn't enjoy myself at all, would feel too uncomfortable.

One thing that I am pretty passionate about to the point to where when I was frequenting TA I would speak out whenever people brought up the dolphin "coves" where they can "interact" with people...it breaks my heart when I think of their living conditions, if you can call it a life. That is why I would always bring up the dolphin excursions where you can see them swimming and playing in their natural environment. To put on rose colored glasses where that is concerned is something I could never do.

Sorry, didn't mean to make a thread drift..

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - macyoder - 09-27-2011

Medi, no problem:-)))))))))))))))))))))))

I dream about going to the 'monstrosities' if not in this life but the next. While I know they are not for everyone, I see them as a different choice from many of the other favored A/Is. The whole A/I industry has a very dark side of exploitation of cheap labor.

I have a pair to get me through customs when my hubby goes through the nothing to declare line with the kitchen sink, while I get stopped with my pocket book...lol

I have a pair for the resort when he gets serve while I wait.

I have a pair the first time I see him get over charge. The second time it happens I take them off. I am not standing by and let him be ripped off.

I have pair when I see grown men with young girls, NO then I close my eyes and pray. Without them I would going around slapping everyone or worse never go back.

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - macyoder - 09-28-2011

if i have to change who i am to be somewhere, i just will not go

That's one reason many Jamaicans and even members of my family haven't returned in decades. As I get older I learn to accept Jamaica for what it is and ultimately get more out of the experience by doing so.

Wit- you don't see colour but Jamaicans see color. I am black, my hubby is white, my son is yellow, and my daughter is brown. In the summer after a tan I am purple but when I lived on the east coast I was clear. As babies, my kids were red or redbone. I am dark and lovely and have no problem as someone seeing me as such. Just don't treat me less or last as a result of it.

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - rastagirl777 - 09-28-2011

"I had a comfortable feeling around other cultures, even a BETTER feeling,"
Brilliant statement - and I can relate to it 100%. Growing up in New York, even on Long Island, I was in a VERY diverse community (unusual for Long Island but there you have it). When I moved to Sonoma County it was SHOCKING how little cultural diversity I saw at first - over the years that has changed SOME. Going to Jamaica gives me my cultural diversity fix, not just with Jamaicans but with the many different nationalities that visit there.

As far as racism...in Jamaica...I have not experienced anything negative. BUT - if I go outside of Negril, Sav for instance I am stared at or some child will yell "Whitey!" at me - not in a menacing manner, more as an observation if you will. I had a little girl touch my hair in amazement in a route taxi once telling me how my hairs were so tall....

Now as for tourists - I think a lot of the safety concerns from new visitors going to the AI for example stem from a distrust of ethnic and racial diversity. If they've never traveled to a non-caucasian country before I do believe some people who have not been exposed to diversity could be intimidated. On the AI compound they don't have to be - the "native" populace there are all there to serve them. I think the folks that do not like to leave the compound do have some fear about being out and about amongst the locals. The only way to get over that is to just get out there and mingle.

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - Sundowner - 09-28-2011

Macy, you are such a hoot.

I can see color. And I'm glad I can, because there are so many gorgeous human beings of varying beautiful colors. When I'm in JA, often find myself admiring someone's smooth dark skin. Maybe the contrast of a bright red shirt, or the sheen of water on a small brown girl's back as she frolics the sea. But because I see color does not mean I discriminate. Why would I? I would be more likely, as Seveen mentions, to want to get to know the person. Where are they from? How are our cultures different? How are we the same? What can we learn from and about each other?

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - Winni - 09-29-2011

Not too sure about all of Canada, but here in Winnipeg, if people make slurs or racial remarks, my experience is it directed towards the Aboriginal population. Because of the Residential School fiasco here in Canada back in the late 1800 well into the mid 1900's many grandparents and others have never forgotten the abuse they received at the hands of the Canadian government. This lead to self medicating with drugs and alcohol. Which has now run through many families for decades.
It is gonna take Canada alot of years to heal from that part of our history. I rarely hear any comments about other people, infact it seems to me that it is generally taboo to be seen as a racist or prejudice of other people's race.

Take a look at this link which speaks to how big it gets here in Canada when a dumbass does something deemed a racial slur!

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/police-charge-26-year-old-london-man-over-nhl-banana-tossing-incident-130713633.html

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - barbara - 09-29-2011

(((MACY)))) sistren.. you crack me up.. "They want to give us their ENERGY"

I rarely post in these kinds of threads because I simply cannot relate.. but the read is very interesting.. I don't get the hassle, the dirty looks, the hassle, no means no and I keep it moving.. if you get rude.. I get rude and then we see who can out rude each other. I see how some folks of the "lighter" hue treat the most nice and respectable people down right rude. I see how they look at me until I open my mouth and they realize that I am not Jamaican born or they think they do, and then want to hold a conversation like we have something in common.

Is it the locs, the color of my skin, or that I am older and wiser. I can go to Jamaica for Two weeks and not have a meaningful conversation with a SOUL because I basically go to get away from people. I am basicaly a Loner when I
go to Jamaica. I don't feel the need to bond with other people while there, especially from the US. I go to soak up the sun, sea, culture. My most interesting conversation are with the children who seem to gravitate towards me and I like listening to them.

This is an interesting thread and I am enjoying and learning some things.

SEVEEN, OHLIZ, MACY - ditto ditto ditto on your writings..

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - sunray - 09-29-2011

RG mentioned being called Whitey by the kids. Usually when I hear it, it sounds like Whyyyyyyteeeeee. It doesn't ever seem to me to be said in a malicious way, more in a curious way. If I am on the scooter, and hear it I might slam on the brakes to stop in the midst of the kids and see their reaction. Usually big eyes and silence, followed by giggles when I smile. Sometimes I will slow down and say Blaaaaackeeee in return. You should hear the squeals of laughter then! "Yu hear white man, 'im call me Blaaaackeee!" If I have a bag of candy, I will hand it out, or just stop to say, "Wha go on." When I am asked my name on the beach by some higgler, I sometimes respond by saying my name is Whyyyteee. (since people call me that anyway). Lots of fun.

Re: Wit- Rose Colored Glasses - Winni - 09-29-2011

Ohliz - Canada was part of the Underground Railroad and abolished slavery in the 1800s. I highly doubt however all Canadians were in agreement at the time. Apparently, it helped that Canada has short growing seasons which didn't make it economically at the time...

"In Canada, slavery was minimal as the short growing season made slave labour uneconomical. In 1793, the Upper Canada Abolition Act introduced by Lieutenant Governor Colonel John Graves Simcoe, freed any slave entering what is now the province of Ontario, and stated that any child born to a slave mother would be freed at 25 years of age. This act was later followed by the British Imperial Act of 1833 (and became effective on August 1, 1834). It abolished slavery throughout the British Empire, including the developing country of Canada."

taken from:

http://www.osblackhistory.com/underground.php