The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
First attempt @ home made veggie patties - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: First attempt @ home made veggie patties (/showthread.php?tid=31461)

First attempt @ home made veggie patties - weathermon - 09-22-2011

The learning curve wasn't too steep. The quality got better with the last batch of 8 patties. My personal food critic said they are yummy!!!

Re: First attempt @ home made veggie patties - jeannieb - 09-22-2011

Nice! I made beef patties last year. They were, meh...ok. My dough was flaky like it's supposed to be but still too thick. The recipe I have calls for curry in the dough so when I rolled it out on my counter it left big curry stains all over. Nothing a little bleach didn't take care of though.

Your veggie filling looks great! I'd eat that as a side dish. Can you share your recipe?

Re: First attempt @ home made veggie patties - Bob+and Pat - 09-22-2011

Refridgerated pie crusts work in a pinch, if you don't want to do the whole pastry thing.

Re: First attempt @ home made veggie patties - weathermon - 09-23-2011

Dreadneck - you last sported a an afro probably about the last time that I sported hair!

Thanks for the recipe requests.

The pastry wasn't that hard to make, it was just time consuming and very messy. I am known around these parts as the "World's Messiest Cook" and this recipe made me look good (bad?). I do clean up after myself, though.

Anyway, the pastry recipe came from a cookbook that Mi Lady found for me last Christmas. I recommend this one. It is called, cleverly, "Jamaican Cooking - 140 Roadside and Homestyle recipes" by Lucinda Scala Quinn. I have prepared several recipes from it and have been happy with them. They were just the bomb!!

The veggies were just a concoction that I came up with. I needed about 6 to 7 cups of cooked veggies, so I gathered stuff that I already had -

3 cups cooked homegrown callaloo
1/2 cup slightly cooked diced sweet potato
1/2 cup slightly cooked diced carrot,
1/2 cup yellow onion
1/2 cup red onion
1 cup diced yellow squash - use chayote if you can find it
I wanted to add a cup of cooked cabbage, but old timers disease struck at the grocery this week.
garlic, salt, pepper, and Jamaican spices to taste
one whole Scotch Bonnet pepper, smuggled out of Jamaica last April

Cook it all together for a while, take out the whole pepper (what a waste), and let it cool a bit before stuffing the pastry.

Donna:

We are to be back on the island in 34 days - October 26 through November 4 for the famour Co Co LaPalm Halloween party.

We will be returning next spring, but don't know if it will be in April or June.

Hope to see you two again.

Re: First attempt @ home made veggie patties - rootswoman - 09-23-2011

Yes, Angel, thank you! He does his veg patties with coco bread - they are sooooo good!

I must say Weathermon's patties sure do look tasty!

Re: First attempt @ home made veggie patties - mickey - 09-23-2011

looks really tasty weathermon!!

hey everyone! nice to see everyone on this thread!