The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Summerset Dangerous? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2013 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+---- Thread: Summerset Dangerous? (/showthread.php?tid=31417)

Pages: 1 2

Summerset Dangerous? - medi - 09-21-2011

I really wasn't going to 'cross post' from another forum, and had managed to not do so about this ...up until this post was made in regards to Summerset Lane:

"While, it's in all likelihood that someone may be perfectly safe...I would never in good conscience recommend any single female friend of mine to stay on this road at the present time."

I have to admit, I was pretty floored. I know it's off the beaten path, but thought as long as I just walk it during daytime hours and take a taxi back to my room when going back at night it would be okay, but such a strong statement I have to admit has me just a bit concerned..am I making a huge mistake and setting myself for disaster? I am halfway tempted to even email the people at Summerset and ask about security..but of course they would tell me they had it, so that wouldn't help..

Is Summerset really that dangerous to walk down even in broad daylight? I saw how quiet the lane is on the google map, and was thinking the only thing to really worry about on a street that quiet would be stray dogs since there aren't a lot of people around to hear me if I have to get away from them, but now am wondering if there is more danger to it than I thought???

could use some feedback on this please!

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - Jenny - 09-21-2011

Boy, I surely haven't heard anything about the road to Sommerset being dangerous! I mean, it IS a "fer piece" down the road to there, but I know someone who's stayed there a lot over the past few months, a single woman, who certainly gets out & about, walks a lot, sometimes does taxis, and I've never heard a peep outta her about any danger! But my info. may be a bit old, as not in the past coupla months.

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - LostBeachBum - 09-22-2011

Here's a funny likkle Jamaica crime story. Ya know, I've traveled all over Jamaica, solo mostly by motorcycle and I've only had one experience that I would call an actual robbery attempt. It was at the old fort on the ocean in Sav down from the market. 2 kids, maybe 12-14 were sitting on the roof of one of the buildings. As I was walking, I pulled out my phone to change songs and I hear this "AY white man, give us de ipod". I looked up, saw it was kids and shrugged it off. A few minutes later, I turn around and they're trying to creep up on me. I take my headphones off and say "What's up?" "Is that an ipod" they say, "No it's an Iphone" Their eyes lit up. "Give us de iphone white man or we hurt you". I started laughing and they both picked up these large pieces of wood that were behind them. "Now you give it to us!" they say. I calmly backed up, took off my shirt, pulled out my knife and said, "look kids, I've got knife and you've got some wood, do you really wana do this?". They both looked at each other for a sec and ran off... Other than that it's always Irie Vibes, just have to know how to carry yourself.

Among other things, I've had guns put to my head several times over the course of my life. Not that I'm proud of it, but it's helped mold me into the man I am. I worked too damn hard to earn what I have. My rule is no gun, no way. Same goes for police, no gun, no arrest me! If they have a knife, well, then we're gonna find out who's faster with one... And if all they have are fists, I already know the answer to that one...

Bless up!

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - Debra - 09-22-2011

Medi, I am sure your common sense will carry you through.

Lots of Us/me will be praying for you and your safety.

I've had mint tea at Bella Donna's. They used to have live bands at night, don't know what is going on there now.???

I'm going to post this so I can quote another poster, who had some very good advice.

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - Winni - 09-22-2011

There are probably 2 points here:

1. don't walk alone a night. period. Good advice.
2. is the talk about the neighborhood. Our lane is one down on Breadnut. Back in my younger days when I was far more naive and yes, stupid, I went everywhere and anywhere. You know the saying ignorance is bliss...
Now that I'm pushing 50 Yikes! and have 2 teens, things look much different now. Would I walk down Sommerset alone and night? Not unless I absolutely had to. Just cause I don't walk at night alone anywhere. There are no experiences alike. I had a great dinner and you didn't. I have never been robbed, you have.

I could on the otherhand walk down Breadnut cause that is our 'hood' and I know there are alot of people, not all, who watch out for us. That being said, you never know when someone walking down the lane is NOT from the 'Hood'.

Hmmm, I remember when the barrel guy's son was shot dead by the cops on Seastar Lane a couple of years ago. Doesn't make it a bad lane now does it?

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - macyoder - 09-22-2011

While, it's in all likelihood that someone may be perfectly safe...I would never in good conscience recommend any single female friend of mine to stay on this road at the present time.

That could be said of Jamaica, period. How well do you know and trust this person to let their opinion affect your decision. How well do you believe or trust the posters here that say otherwise?

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - sunray - 09-23-2011

Medi, never sounds silly to pray on it. Prayer, meditation is all good.
Much more here on earth than only the physical.

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - catt - 09-23-2011

yes medi - as a woman traveling solo you MUST have a phone. it's not just a convenient means of regular communication, it's a security measure -- for ANYTHING that may happen - day or night.

as a solo traveler i believe it's just not wise in this day and age to be without a communication lifeline - wherever i go in the world, and especially on the cliffs in negril. cellies are so cheap and easy to get nowadays.

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - oldtimer - 09-24-2011

"Not a peep from any neighbors who were very close by." very,very good point Lola !!!!!! People don't want to get involved !!!!! This seems to be no big deal UNTIL !!!! it involves you !!!!! Of all the stupid and crazy things I have done in Jamaica I have only been robbed once and that was at the airport in Kingston and it was a break in to my car that was parked right next to a security office....it made me go hmmmmm !!!

Re: Summerset Dangerous? - oldtimer - 09-24-2011

What a bus trip that would be....hehehe black eyes,broken teeth,dog barkin',women screamin',kids cryin'....hooker's,drugs,booze etc...hehehe