The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Police and Thieves - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2010 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Police and Thieves (/showthread.php?tid=2585)

Police and Thieves - rastagirl777 - 11-05-2010

With the current tragic situation in Negril my friends there are rightfully concerned about the impact this will have on tourism. As residents of Negril I'm sure they feel if they fuss out loud they will be hurting their own pockets - but on the other hand - a big ol' fuss is what is needed at this point. This is the second cop shooting this year (that I've heard about at least) ON Norman Manley Blvd., in Negril. Since Mickey was so well known and so well loved in Negril it was obvious that the police were not from that area or they would never have even approached him for a search in the first place!

Wit was right in a way when she said that some folks come to Jamaica for the wild side - Negril in particular for years had the rep of the "Wild Wild West"...when I first started going there it was akin to "adventure" travel, going somewhere not so mainstream, a little to the "left" of normal - different than most typical tropical vacations.

Fortunately (or unfortunately)the visitor vibe is not the same anymore. Negril is most definitely considered a mainstream, typical tropical vacation destination - but nobody told the "Wild Wild West" folks to back down yet.

It is my deepest hope that cooler heads will prevail - that protest will happen in a coherent and non-violent manner and that the policeman responsible for this shooting will be held accountable. Since the Hill family is so well respected and well known there's actually a chance that could happen...

...or it could be the same old, same old when it comes to law enforcement in Jamaica.

So I'd just put the finishing touches on my latest blog post when my friend texted me the news of this horror - and I reread the post and thought, yuk. How effin flowery, saccharin, blech...but then I read it again today...and will share it with those interested. I just needed to keep reminding myself why I love this Wild Wild place, despite this horrible tragedy. And...why this horrible tragedy shakes me to my soul. Even the most beautiful roses have thorns...

http://wstcountywstend.wordpress.com/2010/11/05/the-essence-of-jamaica/

Re: Police and Thieves - jajewel - 11-05-2010

Lovely & heartfelt, Nikki....thanks for sharing!

Re: Police and Thieves - DAWN - 11-05-2010

thanks for the link to your blog..you capture it for me too..

Re: Police and Thieves - stormmey - 11-05-2010

thanks for sharing.....exquisite if I did not know jamaica I would still feel the sweet taste in my mouth from your pics. and your writing conjures up a pic. even without the pics.

Thanks

Re: Police and Thieves - Montie - 11-05-2010

Wonderful Nikki!