The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Buju (put him in your prayers) - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2011 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Thread: Buju (put him in your prayers) (/showthread.php?tid=24560)

Buju (put him in your prayers) - Sharleen - 06-23-2011

This man was set up, I really and truly believe, for his lyrics that bashed the gay communities across the world, he is a good man! that got mixed up in some SHIT, please put Buju in your prayers in these times.

Buju Banton awaiting transfer
2011-06-23 18:08:04

Buju Banton- file photoJamaican reggae superstar, Buju Banton, is in a US county jail at this hour awaiting transfer to the Miami Federal Prison to serve his 10-year sentence.

Buju whose real name is Mark Myrie was sentenced this morning on cocaine charges in the Florida District Court in the United States.

He was facing a minimum of 15 years in prison to a maximum of life.

But his sentence was cut to 10 years after the presiding judge threw out the firearm arm conviction that was handed down in February this year.

In February, Buju Banton was found guilty of conspiracy to possess with the intent to distribute cocaine, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking offense and using a telephone to facilitate a drug trafficking offense.

But today presiding judge James Moody threw out a gun charge, lowering Banton's sentence from 15 years to 10.

But having been arrested since 2009 and because he has been well-behaved Buju will only serve six years in prison.

Banton's attorney, David Markus, had submitted that federal sentencing guidelines call for a prison term of at least 15 years.

But in a court filing, David Markus told Judge Moody that a 15-year sentence would be way more than necessary in Buju’s case.

He contended that Banton deserved a lower sentence because of his limited participation in the drug case, his charitable work in Jamaica and his otherwise clean record.

Dozens of letters to U.S. District Judge James Moody were included in the court file for the 37-year-old recording artiste, whose given name is Mark Myrie.

Several of his 15 children a former Jamaican government official, an NBA player, other reggae artistes and actor Danny Glover had begged for leniency calling Buju a role model, philanthropist and spiritual leader in the community.

Banton's oldest son, also named Mark Myrie, wrote that his father puts hard work, sweat and tears into his music and that the situation is just an example of our mere imperfections as people, being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

But at the trial, assistant U.S. Attorney James Preston argued that Banton portrayed himself as a broker of drug deals in several conversations with a confidential informant.

Re: Buju (put him in your prayers) - jitterbug - 06-23-2011

he did the crime, let him do the time!!!!

Re: Buju (put him in your prayers) - macyoder - 06-24-2011

At the end of the day, I pray for the good, the bad and the ugly. Dear God, please keep a watchful eye over Buju, while he serves his time for the crime he has committed.

I also pray for his children, all 15 of them. For awhile, there will be another Jamaican child be raised without the love and support of a father. I pray for his mother, whose heart must be breaking to see the gift of such a talented child be squander away over greed and stupidity. I pray for those who think the hate of one of you children, due to sexual preference, is not a punishable crime within itself. I pray for us Jamaicans who continue to wear the label of homophobes and druggies, thanks to the likes of Buju. LORD, I PRAY THY WILL BE DONE, AMEN!

"Through many dangers, toils and snares...
we have already come. T'was Grace that brought us safe thus far. and Grace will lead us home" - Amazing Grace!

Re: Buju (put him in your prayers) - francesca - 06-24-2011

~ Sharleen ~ wrote:

'This man was set up, I really and truly believe, for his lyrics that bashed the gay communities across the world, he
is a good man! that got mixed up in some SHIT, please put Buju in your prayers in these times. '

Hi Shar, I've read this opinion here and there on the net but I tend to believe the DEA doesn't put that much time and money into busting an artist because of offensive lyrics. Without knowing personally, I think the DEA is probably a culture that leans towards machismo and is not that involved in taking a stand or spending resources to support the gay commnunity.