The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Remittance Questions - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2011 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Thread: Remittance Questions (/showthread.php?tid=21310)

Remittance Questions - jeannieb - 05-09-2011

Monk has brought up the topic of remittances in a few threads. I know it's sending money back home to family.

I have a few questions about this.

1. Are people expected to send money back home to family and friends if they go foreign?

2. If people don't send money back home, are they shunned from the family or looked down upon?

3. If someone used to send remittances, and they stop, are they still friends when/if they return?

What are your opinions?

Re: Remittance Questions - oldtimer - 05-09-2011

yes,yes and no.

Re: Remittance Questions - jajewel - 05-09-2011

1. Yes

2. Might get a cold shoulder, don't know if they would be totally shunned....I'm sure there would be some "chat" exchanged about them, between family members a Yaad.

3.Probably not.

Re: Remittance Questions - captaind on Zion Hill - 05-09-2011

We returned after 26 years and found none of that. Just love and affection

Re: Remittance Questions - monk - 05-09-2011

~ jeannieb ~ wrote:

'Monk has brought up the topic of remittances in a few threads. I know it's sending money back home to family.

I have a few questions about this.

first- it must be understood the position remittances play in Jamaica's macro and micro economies. without remittances, many families would simply not be able to make it.

~ jeannieb ~

1. Are people expected to send money back home to family and friends if they go foreign?

many people go abroad for this express purpose.

~ jeannieb ~
2. If people don't send money back home, are they shunned from the family or looked down upon?

depends. you're not going to qualify the internal dynamics of extended families except with generalities.

and that's an open door to very hard feelings.

~ jeannieb ~
3. If someone used to send remittances, and they stop, are they still friends when/if they return?

friends or family? again it depends a lot on the internal dynamics, which is why you will find people's responses all over the map.

it's up to the individual in the situation to determine where their experience fits, but I think too often people are thrown under the bus on both sides and there needs to be more communication and less ignorance on both sides.