The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Gifts/Money/Donations in JA - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2011 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Thread: Gifts/Money/Donations in JA (/showthread.php?tid=17963)

Gifts/Money/Donations in JA - Eco - 04-04-2011

I'm sort of doing a 180 on my views about bringing gifts (clothing & school supplies) to JA. In the past I've always brought a large suitcase full of clothes and school/art supplies to hand out. Lol, twice I've left the island with only the clothes on my back.

The 180 comes to mind when I return to areas and they look for my reindeer like I'm Santa or when other tourist got locals into thinking that the farrin people come with gifts.

So.... this trip I'm going to donate my "gift money" to the Theodora Project. Enough about my views...

So, your thoughts...do you bring stuff for random people? Do you make donations to places in need? For those who don't, I can completely understand...it's a vacation not a charity mission.

Re: Gifts/Money/Donations in JA - wit - 04-04-2011

Over the years I've given till I've bled. I'm much more selective now.

I continue to donate to Animal House. I bring a little something to himself's neice. I bring a gift to a good friend and his wife. I bring a gift to our office girl at the resort. In the fall I'll bring some baby clothing for 'our' girl at Catcha.

I no longer bring alot of stuff. I prefer to give cash. We tip well imo espec being a/i this trip.

Re: Gifts/Money/Donations in JA - Mrs B - 04-04-2011

~ Eco ~ wrote:

' this trip I'm going to donate my "gift money" to the Theodora Project. Enough about my views... '

Since they got strict with luggage, it's hard to carry gifts and bring your own needs.

I had a suitcase that carried approx 100lbs of goods to give. Chicago and I would fill it up with shoes, clothes, coffee pots, we were taking a list home to the U and many a foot drawn on a piece of paper for size. Sometimes the shoes fit, sometimes not.

I once sold a pair of brand new nikes to a shop for what I paid for them. One of our best friends said he wore shoe size 8. We gave him the money so he could go buy his right size.

Nowdays, you can find things that were not sold there before. Basco, costco, hurry,hurryaka sinclairs bargin center.

If some really is in need, take the time and buy the item. Cash in the wrong hands may never get to the correct place.