The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Cruelty - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+---- Forum: Archives 2011 (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+---- Thread: Cruelty (/showthread.php?tid=11409)

Cruelty - Sundowner - 01-26-2011

I witnessed something yesterday that made my blood boil.

On the beach - a young blind man using a stick to help him navigate, approached where we were sitting, with his hand held out. He didn't speak but moved along slowly and bumped into a log, where he sat down. My friend went over and offered him some money, but he said he only wanted some water. My other friend bought a bottle of water for him.

Right away, several young jet ski "representatives" started taunting him - poking him and running away, calling him names and grabbing his water bottle and spilling the water out, as he was stumbling around trying to get away.

I was furious and let them have it. Basically called them a crew of F*cking A$$holes. I told them six-year-old children exhibit better behaviour than they do. They were laughing and saying they were "just having fun". I said "I would never give you my business". They couldn't understand why?? I said because you are a bunch of heartless jerks.

And get this: besides the four or five A-holes, there was an older man and an older woman both taking in all of this and laughing right along with them.

I'm still fuming.

Re: Cruelty - Winni - 01-26-2011

hmmmm. He was there in December as well and yes, we gave him some money. Not much but a couple of dollars. I still wonder though just how blind is he and do the beach guys know something we don't. Don't mean to offend but I do wonder...

Certainly not condoning their actions, it is my feeling that Jamaicans tend to be far more understanding and compassionate of the elderly, disability and even drug use.

Re: Cruelty - Jenny - 01-26-2011

Boy, that makes my blood boil too. I just don't understand this sort of behavior; cruel to the point of brutality, how can you kick someone, when they're down, especially? I mean, this sort of behavior is bad enough when it's done to somebody who is not in any way handicapped, but at least that person can either stand up for him/herself or flee. However, this gentleman, with his physical handicap, is vulnerable & should be shown the best, most righteous treatment by others & HELPED, not hindered or taunted!! Makes me furious beyond. . .well. . .I don't know what. I'd like to say that this could've been a ~teachable moment~ for the young men, but it was not to be!

And don't tell us that this behavior is "OK" because it is "a cultural issue." I know many Jamaicans who would neva eva do this & who would not tolerate it! Age is obviously no excuse, besides the probably older couple who were contributing to it all by their laughing.

I would've let 'em have it too, Sundowner. Plus talked with their boss/supervisor, or business owner, if I could've found him too! Man!!!!