The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Property Question - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Property Question (/showthread.php?tid=103466)

Property Question - kylake - 11-26-2023

Here is a question for the history buffs on this board like Negril 75 and Oldtimer. On our north shore trip I spotted this property on the way back. I think it is called Trident but would like to know more than what I have found on the web.
[attachment=3091]

RE: Property Question - oldtimer - 11-26-2023

SPECTACTULAR !!!!
I'm not sure of the history of that place . The east end of Jamaica was the place to play back in the day . From Ochi go east and then back to Kingston that's where the devlopment started tourist/life style . Errol Flynn , Noel Coward , Ian Fleming ,Bob Dylan , the Kennedy's and so on and their croonies came to play . They would hire workers to haul the banana rafts up the Rio Grande River so they could go on river cruises . They hired locals to take them up the Blue Mts ,they went deep sea fishing with the locals so when things started to pick up that's where things were built .
Now a story . On Dec 31st 1978 my girlfriend at the time and to become my wife ( she is CDN ) stayed at the Bonnie View in PA .That day we had gone on a raft trip and got a very large Mullet fish ,shared 1/2 of it with the poler of the raft and took the rest back to Bonnie View . We were the only ones around except a server/chef named Greg . He cooked the Mullet and made 4 meals up. 2 for us and 2 for him and he went and got his girlfriend and we had that meal over looking PA . About 10:00PM he mentioned that Bob and the Wailers were playing at Trident . We drove there and bought walk up tickets and got to see Bob play live on New Years Eve 1978 into 1979 . Holy crap man !!!!

RE: Property Question - kylake - 11-26-2023

Wow, what a great story OT from your Jamaican travels back in the day!

RE: Property Question - Negril75 - 11-27-2023

kylake,

I am not an expert but I do not think that photo is The Trident Hotel but rather the Trident Castle. On my Honeymoon in 1987 my wife and I stayed at a Villa owned (time shared) by a friend named Maria LaYacona an esteemed American transplant to Jamaica. Maria was a highly regarded photographer and her unit at Goblin Hill is farther east than the Trident Castle which was being constructed at that time. If you Google Trident Castle and go to their website you will see their photo is identical to yours. The history as far as I can tell is that it was built in the 80's taking over 10 years to complete. Originally a private castle it segued into a hotel and villas and was eventually sold to billionaire Michael Lee Chin who now rents the property as an expensive wedding destination for the rich and famous.

We stayed at Goblin Hill Villas that overlooks San San Beach for several days doing out trips to Port Antonio. Frenchman's Cove is only a couple of miles west and Blue Lagoon, Winnifred Beach and Boston Beach to the east. The road A-4 takes you all the way around the east end of Jamaica and eventually brings you back to Kingston. It is really a fantastic ride with scenery so different than Negril.

RE: Property Question - kylake - 11-27-2023

Negril75, thanks for your comments on the property. I really didn't know exactly what it was just googled the image on the road to get the name Trident and an article. Searched again here at home and got exactly what you thought, Trident Castle.
Thanks for your insights into the property and a story you shared from the past.

RE: Property Question - Negril75 - 11-28-2023

OT 4,

The Bonnie View was a wonderful location overlooking Navy Island in Port Antonio. Although I never stayed there I did stop on my Honeymoon in 1987 for drinks at sunset. Up behind the BV are the Blue Mountains and spread out in front Porty and the sea. I read somewhere not too long ago that the establishment is still there physically but no longer operational. Too bad as it seemed like a fantastic spot!!

RE: Property Question - oldtimer - 11-28-2023

Bonnie View was wonderful back in the day . There was " the start " of a 2 day hike up the Blue Mts from there . Did I do it NO !!!!!
I know for a fact that it hasn't been up and running for years . Too bad . My personal belief is that the " surge " on the north west coast of Ja killed the Joe Blow vaca on the island . Places like Goldeneye , Noel Cowards place etc are for HIGH !!!! END !!!! $$$$ now . Steertown , outside Ochi ...well that's a different story .
Boston Bay ..Home of the jerk !!!!
I checked my stub and it was at Trident 1978 into 1979. My 3rd daughter was born in 80 and she wasn't born then.