The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
H20 question - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: H20 question (/showthread.php?tid=103406)

H20 question - oldtimer - 08-21-2023

My plants are in 7 gallon bags called Kryptonite and I give them 1 1/2 gallons each of well water twice a day. When I cut the bags open after harvest there is almost no medium left just roots . I get mostly 3-400g / plant but got over 850g on one plant last year . Just how much water do you guys use/plant ? This summer ( being so hot ) if I miss watering by a couple of hours I get plant fade .

RE: H20 question - TAH - 08-21-2023

Larger containers help, OT. Then you don't have to water as often. If they're going dry that fast, the containers are just too small. Also, if that's a dry, trimmed yield (weight), you're doing very well in such small containers. I've been growing for a long time, and the best yield I have got from a 7 gallon pot is around 650g dry and trimmed.

Now, this depends somewhat on your particular soil mix, but here's my basic math; my indoor plants are all in 7 gallon fabric pots. It takes about one gallon to fully saturate them when nearly dry. I only water once they're almost dry. This gets trickier when top dressing amendments on outdoor plants, as then you need the surface to stay at least somewhat moist (for proper nutrient cycling, which is driven by soil microbes (when growing organically anyway)). 

I would at least double your container size, if I were you. I run them big, 65 gallon per plant this year. Even with 65 gallon pots, California growers would scoff, and ask "why so small"? 

RE: H20 question - oldtimer - 08-21-2023

In days gone by ( being younger ) I would drag seaweed up off the shore and mix it with cow shit in the fall and let it rot down all winter and ONLY !! use that . Now I buy pre mix Kryptonite ( it's made here in NS ) and is seaweed and worn casings and dried fish meal . ONLY ADD WATER !!!!! Yes those are dry buds , not even small trunk huggers ) Back in the day my mother would bury crab guts and shell about a foot deeper than her tomatoes and have award winners at the county fair so I tried that then . Worked very well but too stinky for me .The ocean can give you everything you need as does the rain forests .I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart for these discussions , it makes my day !!!!

RE: H20 question - TAH - 08-21-2023

Yeah that would be an excellent compost, the seaweed and cow manure. I wish I had the access here to make it like that, I surely would. As it is I buy a super high quality cow manure/compost blend, castings, and add kelp, crab meal, neem meal, alfalfa pellets, rock dust, gypsum, dolomite lime, and a few other things to a coco coir/peat/perlite blend as my base mix. Then I top dress as needed with worm castings, or whatever amendment it seems I may need in the coming month. It works well for me, my plants tend to stay very healthy. Once in a while a certain strain will surprise me and be a huge calcium hog or something, but overall it's a good system. Just add water. Even better if it's rainwater, and better still if it's from a thunderstorm (carries nitrogen with it then). But late in the season, as buds mature, I don't want so much rain. The key is to grow things that work in your climate. 

RE: H20 question - oldtimer - 08-22-2023

Amen brother !!!!!