The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Minnesota Happenings - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Minnesota Happenings (/showthread.php?tid=103338)

Minnesota Happenings - Firemon - 04-27-2023

The Minnesota House passed a legal recreational marijuana bill (71-59) on Tuesday. The Senate is expected to ratify it on Friday whereupon it'll be signed into law by the Governor.

After July 1 it'll be legal to possess and grow-your-own (with limitations). Dispensaries down-the-road-date-uncertain.

Not having the possibility of incarceration hanging over your head is life-changing. Time to build that backayard greenhouse (if you haven't already got one).

RE: Minnesota Happenings - TAH - 04-28-2023

I saw that yesterday. On the whole, it's a good thing... I suppose. But coming from a guy who has been living in a legal state for 15+ years now, much of the time I long for the old days. There's just so much gene pool dilution happening, thoughtless "breeding" being done by people who should not be doing it... and the money. The money doesn't go to the guys growing the weed, they generally struggle in the legal market. Companies with big bank accounts take over everything, the laws get written in their favor, and the guys who paved the way for this to happen are left in the dust. Yet the consumers are often paying even more, at retail level.

The gene pool issue is a real one. Herb today, on average, is considerably worse than it was 20 years ago. It may look prettier, and have flashier names, but it isn't better (excluding the cheap mexi brick stuff). Many legendary strains have been lost to the drug war, and people moving on to the next "hype" strain. Most of the stuff on the market today is just boring to me, flat highs with a low ceiling. Meh. 

I'm just really torn about it. I get that it improves access to lots of people who didn't have connections to get decent herb. And not having to fear arrest for growing the plants is indeed priceless. I'll never fully get over my fear of helicopters though! To this day it makes my heart skip a beat, for just a second. 

If things were done in a genuinely equitable way, and a thoughtful way, everything would be fantastic. But money rules all at the end of the day, in our society. And that brings a ton of problems with it. 

RE: Minnesota Happenings - Firemon - 04-28-2023

The recreational legalization bill just passed (34 Democrats Yay vs 33 Republicans Nay) in the Senate. The governor (democrat) has already stated he would sign it.

I watched the debate and the vote online. So darn pleased with the outcome. Monumental day.

Sure beats a jail cell.

RE: Minnesota Happenings - kylake - 04-29-2023

Good for you and Minnesota Firemon. We cannot even get medical passed here in TN and whenever medical does I expect we will be one of the last holdouts. Recreational is totally out of the question in TN, IMHO.

RE: Minnesota Happenings - CardBoardBox - 04-29-2023

I am so removed from the pot scene, my 2 cents might be worth only a penny. TAH wrote well of how I remember things. All pot puts me to sleep, except the Jamaican Alaska. I am reminded of college days where the company you kept had a strong influence on perceived quality of the same stuff.

Hopefully, the grow your own will allow better product, ala, get rid of the male plants for more THC concentration. Maybe good seeds from Holland, or is it Amsterdam. (Good doggie; Get away from my shoe. LOL)

I have not heard the expression "brick" in decades. The pound, from the perceived garbage compactor, required sawing.

RE: Minnesota Happenings - Firemon - 04-30-2023

RE: Minnesota Happenings - Firemon - 05-01-2023

Kylake,

Unfortunately you're probably right about Tennessee. (Scratches head.) Seems like Tennessee has been in the news quite a bit lately but I can't put my trigger finger on it. I mean, it's not like black men would get thrown out of congress for voicing their opinion with a megaphone while a white women who did the same and had her transgressions excused (she used a silencer apparently) while the gun lobby celebrated so of course that didn't happen. I'll have to keep thinking about it to see if anything pops into my head.

Oh, and uh, thoughts and prayers.

FM

RE: Minnesota Happenings - TAH - 05-02-2023

One thing I will say, and this applies to several Appalachian states; yes the laws are draconian, and unacceptable. However, between Kentucky and Tennessee (and to a degree southern Ohio), some of the best old school genetics are still maintained in those states, out in the hollers, purely because of prohibition. Cornbread Mafia is real. Much love and respect to those good old boys, growing out in the hills. Many don't even have an internet connection, but they grow better herb than legal states do. 

Once the laws catch up to the times, the same will happen there, as has happened elsewhere... the "hype" weed takes over, and the real gems get lost in the pursuit of money.