The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Tourism booms - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Tourism booms (/showthread.php?tid=103334)

Tourism booms - CardBoardBox - 04-24-2023

in todays news from AP is the below.
But I have to insert here a paragraph from another story which is a "hoot."
A suspected drug trafficker is on the run with nearly 60 pounds (27 kilograms) of methamphetamine BELONGING to a California sheriff’s department after an undercover sting went wrong, authorities said.
------
Tourism booms in Jamaica after pandemic, overwhelms airport

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — The number of tourists flocking to Jamaica’s sun-drenched beaches soared nearly 100% in the first three months of the year, causing long queues and hours-long waits for arriving passengers at the island’s main airport.

Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett told The Associated Press that the problem stemmed from a shortage of airport staff .

(my  comment; Bartlett has been in the job too long.
For the rest of the story, click on the link.)

https://apnews.com/article/jamiaca-tourism-boom-airport-b88e35f5df9734a1f78a878ed1fbb42c

RE: Tourism booms - CardBoardBox - 04-24-2023

2023 soared nearly 100% in the first three months of the year over 2022

Bartlett said the Tourism Ministry’s growth plan aims to have the island draw 5 million visitors annually by 2025. That would be a 35% increase from Jamaica’s peak of 3.7 million tourists in 2022.

-commentary-
While the figures mention 3 months and 12 months, 100% so far this year but only 35% in 3 years represents a reduction from 2023.

And while the Mexican & Canadian firms are happy to spend the fees collected from passengers, the story mentions not having enough employees processing immigration. I have seen all those booths occupied. Sounds like they want to push Club MoBay tickets.

Seemss like immigration needs near complete self administration and more machines.

RE: Tourism booms - Negril75 - 04-25-2023

CBB,
Thanks for the interesting information!! I am happy to see the increased flow of tourism traffic to Jamaica but I do wonder how the island will be able to cope with such increases??

The logjams at Sangster are just the tip of the iceberg!! Imagine 35% more tourism in Negril for example!! Not to mention traffic!! Sounds like a wonderful opportunity but lots of work needs to be done to handle the expected crowds!!

RE: Tourism booms - oldtimer - 04-25-2023

I predict an airport on the south shore and HERE COMES TB as the new place . It is lovely . They have been talking about that for years . As much as I sold my land in TB it had nothing to do with not being nice .

OT,
I trust your thought process about the South Coast of Jamaica. Although I can't think of it off the top of my head I recall a WWII US Airfield Petersfield?? somewhere on the South Coast that has been used as an illegal landing field for smugglers.

The only question I have about TB has been the efforts of Jason Henzell and the TB Community Group to keep growth down in TB. Then again nothing like greenbacks to change opinions!!

OT,

Might be time to reintroduce the Jamaica Rail Company?? Could be perfect timing to build the system back up and running!!

RE: Tourism booms - oldtimer - 04-26-2023

Perfect !!! Mandaville is where they were thinking for the airport .