The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
The Point aka Point Village - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Point aka Point Village (/showthread.php?tid=103151)

The Point aka Point Village - kylake - 06-20-2022

Well I am not much of a trip reporter but here is my long overdue posting from our trip to Jamaica for almost 3 months from January to March. I am writing this for people that may not even know The Point aka Point Village exist. This will be more of a review and trip details to follow in another post.  

We started going to Point Village after our first visit to Jamaica (11 years ago) and have been staying there ever since. It is approximately a 15 acre property sandwiched between the Royalton/Grand Lido and Hedonism. The Point seems to be making a comeback with the property under better management and looking much better than it did 10 years ago when it was rundown, after the resort it once was went bankrupt, and was taken over by Jamaica Strata commission.
There are nice paths to walk all about and through the property, a pool and two beaches (family oriented and clothing optional adults only), A large buoyed/roped off area for snorkeling that runs the length of the properties waterfront. It is a gated community with security but to be honest there have been some burglaries but simply crimes of convenience and no one has been accosted or injured that I know of.
There are 3 differing sizes of studio apartments and some two story bedrooms that rent throughout the year but most popular in the winter months and since many people rent year after year they can be sometimes hard to find available in the winter months.

If staying at The Point there are no restaurants or bars on property so you need to be self sufficient and willing to go off property for groceries/shopping, restaurants, bars, music, etc. That said, there are vendors that come to The Point, veggie trucks 3 days a week (Nick and Donovan), bread/bakery lady (Andrea that stops at Drifters) once a week, and a pastry guy (Clinton) (donuts, muffins and cakes) once a week. There are also grocery deliveries by Virtual Mart where you order online from Progressive and Value Mart and they deliver on Friday. I almost forgot a Norman Tate delivers food (breakfast and lunch) M-F from Kathy's cookshop and of course there are bike taxis that deliver food (from most restaurants) you order and they usually charge 500jmd for delivery.
So you can stay on property and get all those things without leaving.

RE: The Point aka Point Village - Negril75 - 06-22-2022

kylake,
Thanks very much for your write-up of The Point. Do you own a unit there? Is there a rental office that handles weekly rentals? Can you provide a ballpark number on a one bedroom studio??

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

RE: The Point aka Point Village - kylake - 06-24-2022

Negril75 the office does not manage any rentals. All rentals are handled by private owners or a manager they have handling their property. You can see several for rent on airbnb and vrbo websites but if you see any there that are for rent be careful as there is a person that goes by Chris and other names like Yuri and I would not do business with him since he will show something nice but when you arrive it will not be available and he will put you in a room that is not so nice. Also he has been know to keep deposits and a person gets no room. If you ever get serious send me a PM and I will give you a person to rent from that is trustworthy.
Here is one example of a newly renovated (newly listed) room and what it would rent for:
[attachment=3025]
[attachment=3023]
[attachment=3024]

RE: The Point aka Point Village - Negril75 - 06-25-2022

kylake,
Many thanks for the info and heads up about rentals at the Point... Seems reasonable!!

RE: The Point aka Point Village - TAH - 06-25-2022

I will second the recommendation for P.V., though it's been a while since I was there. Last time we went was while they were still operating as a resort property. I think the location is perfect; close enough, but also far enough away from the main beach hustle that you feel pretty isolated. It's a good sized property as well, which helps with that. The units were pretty spartan back then, but suited us just fine. 

It was actually the first place we stayed in Jamaica. Had to be almost 20 years ago now, but I'm not certain.