The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Days Gone By - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Days Gone By (/showthread.php?tid=103095)

Days Gone By - Negril75 - 02-27-2022

http://jamaicahotelhistory.com/brochures/Myrtle-Bank-1915.htm

Amazing Brochure of the Myrtle Bank Hotel on the Waterfront in Downtown Kingston Circa 1915 and it's Sister Hotel Titchfield in Port Antonio. Dating back to 1915 the brochure boasts of "Two thousand miles of perfectly macadamized roads make all the beauties of Jamaica accessible" Notice the roadmap... With the exception of Hanover and Westmoreland almost the entire island when motorcars were still in their infancy was accessible.

I find it amazing!!!

RE: Days Gone By - oldtimer - 02-27-2022

Holy Crap !!!!!!

RE: Days Gone By - CardBoardBox - 02-28-2022

Fantastic find.

One thing changed since then; Arriving by "steam-ships." (How come "diesel-ships" never made it into the lexicon?)

One thing probably has NOT changed; It still takes two weeks to get a letter delivered.

RE: Days Gone By - Negril75 - 03-01-2022

I find it amazing that in 1915, 7 years after the Ford Model T was first produced, there was 2,000 miles of paved roads across Jamaica!! The photo in the brochure shows a car on a high mountain road that illustrates a wide and winding road. How was that possible back in the early 1900's?? The majestic Myrtle Bank and Hotel Titchfield boasting running hot and cold water to guest rooms.... Jamaica was and is an example of greatness!!!

RE: Days Gone By - Negril75 - 03-01-2022

Those of you who have been visiting Jamaica for a long time may have had at one time or another the opportunity to ride the Railways of Jamaica. It has a very rich and at times tragic history on the island. First built in 1845 from Kingston to Angels near Spanish Town a distance of 14.5 miles by William Smith and his sugar planter brother David that owned land in JA. The railways grew continuously until 1960 when the Jamaica Railway Company was created.  

In 1978 while trekking across the island I was in Kingston and was headed back to Negril. A friend suggested taking the train from Town to MoBay as the fastest and easiest way to go. It proved to be a highlight of my travels on the island as it winds westward from Downtown Kingston through the heart of the country and eventually heads north from Appleton to the terminus in Downtown Montego Bay.

In October 1980 I traveled to JA right smack in the middle of the Election violence that was PNP vs JLP. Namely Michael (Fidel Castro) Manley incumbent Prime Minister vs Edward (CIA) Seaga. I was in Kingston 2 days before the election and again took the JRC train from Downtown to Montego Bay. Unfortunately I was concerned at that time about the safety of my camera equipment and as such didn't take any photos during the cross country ride through the heartlands of Jamaica. The beauty of which remains in my memories!! The train, as always broke down for hours, and didn't arrive in MoBay until long after dark and as such meant finding transport to Negril would be impossible until the following day. I asked a fellow passenger to help me find a cheap room for the night and he took me to a spot he knew of. It was a small room on the second floor with a balcony overlooking the street below. I bought a couple of cold Red Stripes and had rolled a small spliff. As I toked and sipped gunfire was heard below on the streets. I thought to myself what the heck I had gotten myself into??

The next day I made my way to Negril and stopped at my friend Gloria Jackson's Sunset Cottages on the beach on Long Bay close to T-Water and next to Bar-B-Barn. I pitched my tent in her yard and learned that Michael Manley would be in Negril that day for his final rally before the Election. I gathered up my cameras and headed to the Negril Beach Club where Manley would start his day before the Rally at the Roundabout. I met Mikey and shook his hand and later took photos during the Rally despite the advice against doing so by some heavyset guy. To say it was Surreal is an understatement!!

[attachment=3006][attachment=3005]

RE: Days Gone By - Firemon - 03-02-2022

Railroads are a great way to see not only Jamaica but pretty much any country.

Love the juxtaposition Castro vs CIA.

I was in Lucea on an election day and folks were streaming in to vote from the hills on foot with armed soldiers guarding the polling station. Military vehicles parked along the street.

Paved roads in Jamaica that early does perplex.

$4.00 per day American Plan sounds like a good deal.

RE: Days Gone By - Negril75 - 03-02-2022

Firemon,
According to the internet $4 USD in 1915 equals $111.35 in today's dollars. Still an awesome deal if you consider the luxury that the Myrtle Bank Hotel and Hotel Titchfield must have been. Heck $111 USD gets you a decent room in JA today not ultimately upper high end!!

In 1980 Castro vs CIA wasn't a joke but the real deal. It was the beginning of the end as far as peacefulness goes. The PNP and JLP armed themselves and protected their leaders. It was the onset of gun violence that has become so bad in Jamaica today. Back in 75 the average Joe Jamaican was scared to death of guns and bullets. Getting caught with either carried a Life Sentence in "Gun Court" in Kingston.

The CIA Station in Kingston was the largest in Central and South America and the US Gov was scared to death that Jamaica would go the way of Cuba. That's why their support of Seaga was so strong. The week after Seaga won across the pond in America saw Ronald RayGuns get elected!!

It's pretty well established that the attempt on Bob Marley at his Hope Road home was the work of the CIA!!

RE: Days Gone By - Firemon - 03-02-2022

Definitely not established.

RE: Days Gone By - Negril75 - 03-02-2022

Let me rephrase that: based on conversations I have had with individuals in Kingston (One of whom lived on Hope Road about 100 yards away from Bob's) and a certain incarcerated Jamaican in New Jersey who I will not name but will say is "In The Know" that it is pretty well established in my mind that the attempt on Bob Marley at his Hope Road home was the work of the CIA!