The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Hemp Building Blocks - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Hemp Building Blocks (/showthread.php?tid=103032)

Hemp Building Blocks - Firemon - 12-18-2021

RE: Hemp Building Blocks - CardBoardBox - 12-18-2021

Interesting concept.

However (U knew that was coming)

the hemp seems to be insulative in nature. The soybean oil (what, no recycled plastic bottles?) form itself is part of every block and seems to bear the structural load, and with no cement between the blocks, a good wind will lift the roof and some blocks into the next neighborhood.

Straw and mud you can build a house. Hemp and lime?
Supposedly the government financed hemp production, heavily watered down, in case of needing to make rope (during a war, for example.)

R-70 with only 10.5 to 12 inches is great. Without looking it up, the R number is like 'inches of dirt.' Roofs in this area of the US want R-39 and fiberglass is 9.5 inches thick. I don't know the code for walls, but it varies by loc.

It's one application / method. There's bound to be others.
Maybe a marble of crazy-glue on the top of each post would fuse each block to the one below and solve the roof condition above.

Environmentally friendly.

Honest officer - I'm growing those 20 foot trees in my back yard to make a house. I have to pick off all the leaves first.

RE: Hemp Building Blocks - Firemon - 12-19-2021

Take another look at the photo above. There's mortar between the hemp blocks same as if they were using concrete blocks. He makes reference to the mortar when displaying a cut away section of the wall around the 5:30 minute mark.

(I can see how you got the impression there wasn't any mortar as he demonstrated how they stacked at the beginning of the video without using mortar.)

RE: Hemp Building Blocks - Firemon - 12-20-2021

This appears to be a largely mortarless construction method. Different block design.

What do you think of the way these blocks are assembled CCB? Seems like they've got a good system.

I'm impressed with the fact the blocks remove and trap carbon emissions.

RE: Hemp Building Blocks - CardBoardBox - 12-20-2021

It is a good design and I am more impressed than with the first video block design.

Should I detail a comparison? I think not.

In the right application, without using mortor, the lego-peg design #1 would be great for temporary walls.

I dare not discuss how much they remove and trap carbon emissions, which sound good, but it's not an ongoing process since the walls get a facing.
Renewable resource and enviromentally friendly for sure. You and Youtube have exposed an array of new information. Hemp and real wool insulation are but one new element of the array.

RE: Hemp Building Blocks - TAH - 12-21-2021

Renewable yes, but it's only environmentally friendly if the hemp is grown in a no till field using organic fertilization (or none). If it's grown as we grow most everything else in this country, then it's really just further raping the earth for profit. Nice concept, but the "nuts and bolts" of it need a lot of work before I'd get behind something like this going mainstream. 

RE: Hemp Building Blocks - CardBoardBox - 12-22-2021

I concur. Including that
Over fertilization wrecks havoc with water sources.

However, if I could grow two 20-foot trees of the weed, and hang a hamock between the two, I'd fertilize those suckers. LOL