The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Funny fish story - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Funny fish story (/showthread.php?tid=102973)

Pages: 1 2

Funny fish story - oldtimer - 10-14-2021

Now that we are talking about fish I thought of this . In the winter I use to go to Montreal with my wife just to get away for 5-6 days . Before we came home we would always go to the monkland Fish Market and get some fish that aren't caught here .
This one time there was a King fish there that weight about 10lbs and I bought it . We use to have winter BBQ's and bake fish like this one . Well a King Fish looks very much like Atlantic Mackrel but WAY !!!!!! bigger . I took it up to show the guys at the local rural gas station and when I showed it to the owner he said " Where in the f*** did you catch that " . Without missing a beat I said down below my house " I know that he thought that is was a GIANT !!!!! mackreal and told the story of the fish for years . I never told him the difference and he went to his grave thinking I caught it .

RE: Funny fish story - kylake - 10-14-2021

Did you ever hear the story about the one armed guy that went fishing? H caught one and "it was this big" (holding up one arm)

RE: Funny fish story - Negril75 - 10-14-2021

You remind me of a goalie I used to play with. Whenever we were a goal down with a minute or two left to play and he was going to get pulled he used to break his goalie stick and lay it in front of the goal line parallel to it. So when he left for the bench It would stop the puck on any shot on net on the ice from going in and the rule book says you got to drop a broken stick!!

Now what about lobster prices??

RE: Funny fish story - oldtimer - 10-14-2021

Lobster price vary greatly .
The season for the south side of NS usually have the highest prices but the poorest quality . Their season is form Dec 1st to May but there are times they don't fish like in St.Mary's Bay . There are molding and breeding in Jan Feb BUT the native fishery fished there the last 2 years . Last year they landed 100,000lbs and 98,000lbs were molding lobsters and females .TERRIBLE !!!!!!!
May and June they fish here . Hard shelled and full of meat !!!!! The best . They got from $6.50 to $8,59/lb
It just changes at a moments notice . McDonald's is the biggest buyer of lobsters in the US
It take approx 3lbs of hard shelled to get a lb of meat . Soft shelled it takes about 8lbs of fish to get a lb of meat .

RE: Funny fish story - Negril75 - 10-14-2021

OT2,

Thanks for the clarification. Were you a lobster fisherman or other fishing over the course of your career?

RE: Funny fish story - oldtimer - 10-15-2021

I am a welder/pipefitter by trade an engineer by education BUT fished my whole life ./ Well not my whole life because I'm not done living yet . I fished lobster , herring , tuna , scallops all while in season's but worked in the trades when I wasn't fishing .It's like they say " a poor day of fishing is better than a job " . When I worked in Jamaica I worked as a welder for a company from Puerto Rico , We worked on the boilers for the bauxite companies .

RE: Funny fish story - kylake - 10-15-2021

The truth comes out. In Jamaica you were a boilermaker...LOL and the Ironworkers have to teach them how to use a spud correctly....LOL
[attachment=2954]

RE: Funny fish story - Negril75 - 10-15-2021

OT2,
What first brought you to Jamaica? A job opportunity??

RE: Funny fish story - oldtimer - 10-15-2021

Yes work . To work at the Alcan Bauxite Plant in Ewarton. When I was 18 . I only came back to NS to fish . Then I started University as a mature student .

RE: Funny fish story - Negril75 - 10-18-2021

OT2,

That's a great story!! What year was that?? and how long did you end up working down there? It is my understanding that Jamaica was even nicer and better pre independence although I'm not sure that was the case.

Did you get a chance to travel around the island while working down there? When did you first see Negril Beach??

Thanks for your answers!!