The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Blue Mountain Coffee - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Blue Mountain Coffee (/showthread.php?tid=102969)

Blue Mountain Coffee - Negril75 - 10-12-2021

I met a guy (now a very old friend) in Jamaica in 1978 who at the time helped me in a tight situation while I was traveling across the island with a young woman I met in Negril. That is a story for another time but Sonny called me a few weeks ago and said that a farmer friend of his was going to be Apple picking in Maine in October and that he would give him, Dean Martin, two pounds of Blue Mountain Coffee to carry for me. Luckily I own a piece of land in Maine and today I stopped by Ricker Hill Farm in Turner, Maine and met Dean and he gave me the coffee. The packaging lists the Portland Small Coffee Farmers as the origin. Sonny is a coffee farmer in Portland, Jamaica which is one of the most beautiful parishes in JA. I gave Dean a couple of pairs of Levi's to carry for Sonny and twenty bucks to Dean for his help. Now I just have to get a can of sweetened condensed milk from my pantry and tomorrow morning I'll be one happy guy!!

RE: Blue Mountain Coffee - CardBoardBox - 10-12-2021

US Customs: "So you came to pick apples in Maine. Did you pack your bags yourself? Kindly follow that officer." LOL

Nice story.

RE: Blue Mountain Coffee - daniel - 10-13-2021

I hope you tried their cider . 20 miles from my home .

RE: Blue Mountain Coffee - kylake - 10-13-2021

How cool for Sonny to think of you after such a long time past. Enjoy your coffee!

RE: Blue Mountain Coffee - TAH - 10-13-2021

That's pretty cool, and the kind of action that seems lacking in the "new" culture that's taking over Jamaica (mostly imported from the states). We're coffee freaks over here, and usually order 10# of different origin coffee's every few months, but we don't get JBM from any of the estates anymore purely due to the cost. Also it doesn't seem quite the same as it was even 15 years ago. These days we mostly prefer African, and Central American varieties. 

I hope you and the mrs are able to make it back to JA at some point, and reuinite with a few of the folks you have come to know over the years. It isn't the same as the Jamaica that you describe in many of your experiences, but there's still some of that old charm to be found. Just not much of it left in Negril, I don't think. Treasure Beach is still a special place, for the time being. 

RE: Blue Mountain Coffee - oldtimer - 10-13-2021

Cool story !!!!!

RE: Blue Mountain Coffee - Negril75 - 10-13-2021

[attachment=2951][attachment=2950]

I'm sipping on my cup of Blue Mountain Coffee as I type. Only 1 cup as I'd be spinning like a top if I have any more. It's been a while but the flavor instantly transports me back to many happy memories. I know on the other boards where people pester one another about whether the coffee they buy on the beach in Negril is really Blue Mountain Coffee or not the two bags that I have just received come out of a coffee Co-op in the Blue Mountains between Buff Bay and Newcastle in Portland. The most memorable BMC I have had was at Whitfield Hall at the base of Blue Mountain Peak in July of 1981. There was an elderly Jamaican woman in the kitchen there and she had one of those old fashioned coffee pots that were popular in the 1950's and 60's a metal affair where the grounds were placed in a basket and the water heated and percolated through. She then poured me a cup and added some sweetened condensed milk. It was a chilly morning and I remember the taste just like now!! The hike to the peak and the subsequent time I spent up there was unbelievable!!

RE: Blue Mountain Coffee - Negril75 - 10-13-2021

[attachment=2952]

Sonny in the middle with a hard hat doing construction on a private driveway in Green Hill, JA

I've stayed in touch with Sonny since 1978 and have visited him several times in past few years. Before Covid he had gotten his paperwork in place in an effort to come to the US where he has aspired to visit for a long time gone. Hopefully I can help him with his ambition somehow sometime soon!!