The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Dutch Author - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Dutch Author (/showthread.php?tid=102956)

Dutch Author - Firemon - 09-21-2021

WHEN Martijn Huisman decided to write a book about Bob Marley And The Wailers, his objective was to show readers the legendary band's global impact. He accomplished that with The Reggae Nation: The Global Legacy of Bob Marley & the Wailers.

Released September 23, the 432-page book sees the Dutch author going into major cities where Marley and his band introduced reggae, as well as remote areas where they did not perform but nevertheless have a following due to their charismatic leader's timeless music.

Huisman told the Jamaica Observer that the expansive work — a limited amount of 500 copies are available — took him 10 years to complete.

https://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/reggae-to-the-world_231720?profile=1606

RE: Dutch Author - kylake - 09-21-2021

Looks like there are several options to pre-order. I wonder what the shipping is if ordered directly from the author (book weight 5.3lbs)?? Also I noticed on ebay and amazon orders (soon come)
https://www.reggaenationbook.com/

RE: Dutch Author - Firemon - 09-21-2021

I think I'd want to read something else by this author first to gauge his knowledge of the subject along with his writing ability, such as a magazine article, short story, or possibly an excerpt from the book. According to the article in the Observer he wrote about the Babylon By Bus tour as a college journalism student. Absent that I'm a tad skeptical. Small press run. Unproven writer. Undoubtedly no editorial guidance. Unlikely to be more than a collection of anecdotal references to Bob Marley based upon his travels as opposed to research. Pass.

I could be wrong but this is The Internet and I'm shooting from the hip. Be happy to do a 180 if anyone cares to dig up a favorable review.

RE: Dutch Author - oldtimer - 09-21-2021

I was thinking the exact same thing Firemon .

RE: Dutch Author - kylake - 09-22-2021

Another article about the author and the photographer. But the first link above does have some reviews (but on the book site...so not sure how true they are. Looks like a coffee table book with nice photos.
https://www.reggaeville.com/artist-details/bob-marley/news/view/new-book-bob-marley-the-wailers-in-the-netherlands-kickstarter/

RE: Dutch Author - Firemon - 09-24-2021

Looks impressive. But I wonder why he had to resort to crowd-funding/self-publishing to get his book published. I realize publishers have to be selective but for whatever reasons they all apparently passed. Niche market? Might wind up being a historical success if not a commercial success. Definitely more intrigued.

RE: Dutch Author - Firemon - 09-24-2021

Plus quite the endorsement from the genre's greatest historian.

"A travelogue of inspiring revelations, with eloquent descriptions of Marley’s globe-spanning inspiration. Huisman is an articulate guide as he spins the globe, bringing remote outposts and cultures into view where Marley’s works have taken hold."

Roger Steffens

Okay, I'm sold.