The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Sea Coal & Sand &travel - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sea Coal & Sand &travel (/showthread.php?tid=102902)

Sea Coal & Sand &travel - CardBoardBox - 03-09-2021

Did you know that beach sand is another item which will rid us of bad politicians?
I'm not talking about putting them the same place as the kelp they rake up on the beaches of Negril, (buried under the sand.) You'll find my "how" at the end of this.

Beach sand, also from river beds, is used in many ways including mixing concrete. Think of the Diamond Crystal salt commercial. It has "facets" which allows it to be locked into place by (Portland) cement. Sand found in the dessert, on the other hand, is not "washed" by the sea'; It is "wind blown" smooth and thus not usable in construction.

Extra credit question; How long has glass been used in windows?

Here is the story on the sand
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/05/sand-shortage-the-world-is-running-out-of-a-crucial-commodity.html

Sea coal also known as soft coal and other names (and multi grades of hardness too) does wash up onto beaches has the adjective to differentiate it from char coal which comes from trees. In Jamaica charcoal is called "wood coal" (in the US "lump coal") is not the same as our charcoal Briquettes which has chemicals added to shape them and thus very bad chemicals for the garden.

Pretty much we just call "sea coal" coal, much the same same as "intercourse" has the implied sexual adjective, but take comfort that we all have "social intercourse" in our daily lives, except in Canada where people are snowed in for months. (humor)

So by now you are wondering how the earth is going to lose a non-precious item of sentence #1 eventually. You all are aware of scientists looking for earth-II. That which is being hushed up is the use of tax payer money to find a new earth, maybe even Mars. Space ships are going to be needed also. Oh, look, more new technology. Smile Eventually this earth will be rendered exhausted of raw materials including SAND, poluted with microplastic (and I thought the nuclear bomb would melt all those 2 litre bottles and seal it for a million years to allow for recovery), have water we can't drink, air we can't breath, and no tuna fish because China took over the worlds fishing.

It will be a time to leave here by rocket ship, and when the list is made, just like the list of who gets the coronavirus shots first, the politicians names will be on the first list. "Someone has to govern the people" will be their logic, overtly. If I write anything more, it might seem like I view many of them as not doing what they were elected to do.

Save the beaches.

27 views in 5 countries before I improved this a little.

RE: Sea Coal & Sand - daniel - 03-09-2021

Like most of us , sounds to me like you really need a vacation . Get out of the house and breath deep .

RE: Sea Coal & Sand - CardBoardBox - 03-11-2021

When I first read your reply, it was uplifting and received in a very positive way. Now, letting it sit there for 24 hours to see if anyone else posted anything, it has degraded a little and is "Thanks for responding. Yes, we all need a vacation."

People come here to read something. It may not be the something they want to read, but I try to be either entertaining or at least thought provoking. My self composed tumbstone was to say "He tried to make people think" till someone suggested line 2 of "and he died trying" which implied I was unsucessful.
Well, Mom said go to school because they can not take knowledge away from you.
So I went until the 6th grade. I must have been a good student because they wanted me to remain in that grade for three years.

(does humor come across (in the above)?)
Remember when I wrote that one long run-on sentence posting? It was kind of fun. An exercise.

I have a light hearted remark of someone saying "hey, that doesn't have anything to do with Negril or lobsters" but I'm afraid it would involve too much text to convey the "missing you - sorry you haven't gotten your computer to function in reply-mode" properly and politely.

I could write about Jamaica, such as I am shocked that there has been zero inoculations (sp) but either my news source was old/wrong, or I figure such news is available on the newspaper sites.
I can't figure why 200 people read the "bunny died" posting. Well, it did have a good video URL link.

The fact that the US will accept the MBJ US$50 virus test done at the airport is a positive and it seems people are again flocking to the island. After my shot #2 I am inclinded to take the risk and fly down myself. I've never been off the island for a whole year. That was in March after they cancelled all the flights, but I was lucky I had gone down 3 weeks earlier.

Want more? Contribute to my gofundme page "White rich guy needs a vacation."
With my stimulus check (God, please don't let them issue debit cards this time which are untraceable when thieves and shiesters file false 1040's), I won't have to live on canned tuna fish to pay for my trip. Look for "product of China" then put it back on the shelf. It's in really tiny letters.

RE: Sea Coal & Sand - CardBoardBox - 03-12-2021

To post or not to post. That was from a play of old England, wasn't it? Better to suffer the slings of arrows than to (something something.)

There was a lead in to watching the videos of people trying to get through (not threw) Customs and Immigration in foreign airports, interesting as they are, or other videos on air flights, though it can instill the feeling of actually getting on a plane for Jamaica. One did just that last night, as the plane began to roll. And of course, the visits or flights into MoBay.

But I won't post anything about them. Nor will I share, which I've done before, the experiences with JA and USA airport personnal, however funny or damaging they have been. (Avoid the yahoo in Texas who seems too high and uses funnyness to find a reason to screw with you (meaning getting sent to secondary inspection; always a fun time, right?) Sometimes it is a parallel to getting pulled over for speeding and ending up getting arrested. Don't "mess with" people with guns or in uniform.

I know what the exchange rate is. Don't know if taxi fares have gone up. Those two used to be frequent questions on a message board. Now (?) it seems someone asks for a good hotel or what to do in town. And a few days later, the same person or another person asks the same question. And people respond. Not here.

So it seems you can get "real NY style" bagels in California. I don't think you can get good pizza in Jamaica. I'll blame that on people not knowing good pizza but I'll not bash them for it. Why? I'm a nice person. Also think about this - do you make/eat the foods you grew up on? No one makes food as good as what your Mom did (but you keep trying.) Praise Mom's.

RE: Sea Coal & Sand - CardBoardBox - 03-13-2021

Update; the IRS is in the process of issuing four hundred eleven billion dollars in stimulus money via checks, direct deposits and DEBIT CARDS for people who don't have bank accounts.
I would like an accounting of how many millions ended up on debit cards which were converted to cyberdollars. I recall a story that one African country was the largest inputter to cyber currency on the last stimulus round.

Slight revision on my gofundme title, reversing two words. To be "Rich white guy...." I kind of say that with fond memories. How? Have you gone to the "bus park" down by the police station? It's a parking lot where taxis and jitney buses load up for their routes - Lucy, Sav, etc. On one trip there, I exit my friends vehicle and I hear a loader shout "White guy, white guy" which just meant "Any driver up for a charter customer?" You all know charter means you alone for a negoticate price, verses one of many people in a bus/taxi for the standard fare.
F all this racist crap being jammed down our throat. But I think I would have been offended had I heard "Rich guy, rich guy." Smile

God I miss the island. To show how much I need that trip, I recently recalled the following humor:

Little boy and girl comparing their "differences." The little girl points and says "Can I touch it?" and the little boy says "No. You already broke yours off."

RE: Sea Coal & Sand - CardBoardBox - 03-16-2021

Today's installment is about food and prices.
Buying stuff at one of the 2 markets in town (leaving out the Chinese vendors cause I would not have nice things to say) helps the large WR Grace company, or at the "green building" Quality Traders is the cheapest way to survive in Negril. You can do better in Sav and MoBay but let's skip that here.

Worth your time as a tour, there is "sticker shock" at the prices compared to home, but everything comes in by boat. $8 for a $3 jar of peanut butter (not to be brought in in your carry-on) can give you a hearty lunch with grape JAM (IF U can find in on the shelf) and a loaf of bread (J$230.)

But everything is going up, up, up. A quart of cooking oil (4 is cheaper than a gallon!) used to be in the $J235 range and last year was over J$400. By now, it's gotta be higher. $$ conversion does account for some of this but only some. If you're staying with friends, it is so easy to spend J$5000 without batting an eye.

Back in PA, hot dogs which used to be $2 and now they've reached $4. Everything is going up and I'm at a loss to explain why beyond estimated coronavirus expenses.

When you are on the island, remember the small vendors. Be they walking around or have a stall somewhere, selling fruits or shoes, at least these people are out there trying to survive.
Personally I like to watch for a little before hand for I remember decades ago there was "dual pricing" and while understandable, it never sat well, except with the sugar cane vendor who had large and small stalks, I paid for large and got a small. I laughed and he smiled back.

This all began with a UK story about Pringles (99 to 1.49 here) which jumped from 2 quid to 3,  blaming the recent MSRP jump due to product cost.

I'd love to end this post with a major positive note of being adventurous and helpful but can only promise those words will "soon come."

-quote-
Not just pringles have any one noticed at supermarkets one week Maynard wine gums £1 following week £ 1.65

Club biscuits £1 one week £1 50 next

Utterly Butterly £1 at Iceland £1 90 a one stop

**********wednesday addendum***********
Since it's food, and since it's almost the month of May, May is MANGO month in Negril. If you've never had one off the tree, U don't know the pleasure of eating a mango (which has a pit too big to smuggle home in your butt.)
So if you've gotten your 2 shots and fly down in May, "eat good."

RE: Sea Coal & Sand - CardBoardBox - 03-20-2021

I am in favor of helping our friends in Jamaica, with some reservations, and I have to update my knowledge of current restrictions (recent updates). See the bottom

You all know I believe in avoiding the bad things, which makes me seem negative, but with positive results.

For foreign travel, in general, and if you have access to the NY Times site (I got in with my other browser without logging in) read

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/17/travel/covid-test-positive-vacation.html

It talks about some bad experiences. Newspapers aim to sell their product. Politicians aim to sell themselves. This story touches on travel insurance and coronavirus and is not something being crammed down our neck daily (and what seems like forever.) And some of the 103 comments are worth your time too.

DToT ,you know, the lobster guy Smile , I think shared info about travel insurance and that not all policies are the same. I thank him for that.

One person ran a one million dollar bill which they expect insurance will cover 60%. One person couldn't get released from the hospital in Mexico until their bill was paid. These stories are the exception, but a lot of things never make it to the press. Just think about your local news no one reads or doesn't learn from the story since they never experienced it "first hand."

I still will not jump off the cliffs at Ricks, but I can imagine that no one has required hospital care since the last story of a bad landing.

The latest from
https://www.visitjamaica.com/travelauthorization/test-req/
says testing must be done WITHIN 3 DAYS of the flight (was ten), plus allowing the cheaper $50 test (my words):
Effective March 4, 2021: ALL travellers to Jamaica, ... will be required to present a negative COVID-19 PCR or Antigen test result to check in for a flight to Jamaica.