The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
COVID-19 report - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: COVID-19 report (/showthread.php?tid=102704)

COVID-19 report - kylake - 03-16-2020

Well all Jamaicans seem to really be taking the virus seriously. Some route taxi's don't want to pick up anyone that has just arrived (no tan). Many are carrying Lysol and use the spray for anything from a surface sanitizer to a hand sanitizer. Yesterday at Valuemaster they were only letting a couple of people at a time in the store. Hi Lo on the other had was letting traffic come and go as normal.
Drifters and Boat bar have been asked to close according to what I hear. Not sure if they had Chances open yesterday for music or not. 
Many Canadians and Americans are leaving earlier than planned but we plan to stay to our original departure date.  We actually feel safer here than in an airport, especially with the panic crowding that we hear is occurring.
The groceries in town still have shelves full of items as I assume most Jamaicans in Negril don't have enough income to do panic buying like we are seeing in the news. I did hear in Sav many store shelves have been cleaned out. Rumor has it the Green Market may shut down.
Well that is all for now.

RE: COVID-19 report - oldtimer - 03-16-2020

how is it affecting you guys .

RE: COVID-19 report - Tammy - 03-16-2020

Thanks for the update. Is Green store closing due to virus or closing for good? Hope it's not the latter as I really like that store. I do not shop HiLo and only desperate times for the chinaman store so only left Value Master. Green store had good stock and good prices. 

Yes I was told Sav was a mess last Friday and shelves empty. Everyone being sprayed with god knows what to enter. Also the cops there are pure thugs. They have a little scam going on with some of the money transfer shops. They are watching for people being sent money. They then watch them as they move and stop their bus or taxi, pull them off, threaten to arrest them for being scammers unless of course they want to give them a little something. Five of them stopped a bus and took 5000J from one person. They knew the name of who sent the money, the amount, why money was sent (coronavirus prep), etc. Couldn't have that info without the person at the money transfer shop relaying it. This is why the Jamaican people hate their ass and don't trust them for anything. They are worse than scum to be taking from people at a time like this. Any time is bad but right now makes them lower than dirt to me. 

Stay safe and enjoy the beach. Hopefully, they don't close the beach as so many places have. I'm not sure I understand the closing of beaches, lakes, parks, etc. unless of course they are crowded places like Miami beach? 

RE: COVID-19 report - CardBoardBox - 03-18-2020

I also do not shop at the chinaman stores, for several of my own reasons. I like the green store, Quality Traders best although a few items are not cheaper than HiLo. ValueMaster used to have the widest and best selection of munchies, but I use all 3 since an item such as Grape Jam or cows milk or Mango-carrot juice might only be found at one on any day.

The 5-police story has enough details that it almost sounds real, and possible to bring the offenders to justice. I'd email MoneyGram but I'm sure they would quote confidentality (or do nothing, so why should I bother.)

The C-19 China virus events locally deviate from many events readable on the Internet. Aldi's market was well stocked but I can't find cat food for my currently booked 4/13 flight down. Really great fare but I'm having 2nd thoughts as our nation increases its vigilance.

Hollywood could make a movie or tv-show of the events, except they already have, many times. And some lessons from 2002-2004 SARS weren't learned, made worse by censorship and interrogations.

RE: COVID-19 report - kylake - 03-23-2020

Well our vacation was cut short but was long and fun before the virus spread worldwide and became a pandemic. We are back home now as our choice was fly back March 22nd or stay for an undetermined amount of time since no one including our airline new when flights would start again. 
We were not too happy about flying in a full plane from Jamaica but after landing at MCO it was amazing how quickly they rushed us through customs and immigration and how empty the whole airport was. Same when we landed at BNA our final destination. Nashville was like a ghost town with very light traffic and few pedestrians.....eerie feeling
A few people decided to stay in Jamaica because of health issues and our thoughts and prayers are with them as no telling what the outcome will be. With all the hotels, bars, etc. shutting completely down I really feel sorry for the Jamaicans that will lose their job. I hope the government steps up to help them and prevent civil unrest.  
CBB, I don't think there will be any 4/13 flight unless you have residency.