The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
cell phone info here - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: cell phone info here (/showthread.php?tid=102698)

cell phone info here - CardBoardBox - 02-08-2020

Had questions for here but spent the time looking and chatting and thus sharing.

Digicel (which has a kiosk at the airport) charges
$740, total, for a SIM chip (for your unlocked phone. Bring passport)
Basic rates, with no plan involved are
$7.99 per minute to any celly (Digicel or Flow)
$8.99 per minute to call the USA

Flow (previously known by various names) has a store in Negril (as does Digicel)
$582.50, total, for a SIM chip (for your unlocked phone. Bring passport)
Basic rates, with no plan involved are
$5.99 per minute to any celly (Digicel or Flow)
$5.00 per minute to call the USA

My ATT prepaid USA phone, which ATT unlocked after 6 months, works with a FLOW SIM but I bring my candy bar phone which is prone to butt dialing.

Cheapest "candy bar" phone on Flow web site is J$3100 plus GCT. Store often out of stock for cheapie.

RE: cell phone info here - kylake - 02-18-2020

I have a blu phone will it work on either network? Just posting this because you said some would ask this on another board. BTW, the answer is yes if the phone supports a GSM network sim card. Both Flow and Digicel operate on the GSM network to the best of my knowledge. 

I do the $1500 j plan for unlimited calls and text for 28 days. That does not include international. Gotta watch FLOW though as they rip all your credits on a pre paid plan if your credits end date expires without a top up.

RE: cell phone info here - CardBoardBox - 02-18-2020

Dear Blu phone owner. (ah, what sentence can I type next which will sound informative but would be construed as a personal attack?) YOU don't know what YOU are talking about. The 2 companies might use the same technology but you need a green phone instead of blu because the frequency pairs are different.

You could by a dual band phone, but make sure it also works with a string and a tin can tied on the other end. You know what string is don't YOU? It's the stuff they make bathing suites out of, but look for the type which is "musical", one octive below H.

That ends the somewhat true information AND humerous banter. Kylake promised to buy me a beer next week (he didn't, but I'll be calling him on his blu phone when I get onto the island) and thusly I put him one level above acquantance. ***

I like FLOW because their tower/coverage in one area of Negril is/was better, as well as cheaper  talk rates and SIM chip cost.
My experience with their basic pre-paid service is after 3 weeks of a J$200 top off, or 1 week with J$100, you lose the ability to make outgoing calls. However, you have a month to top-up and you get the original unused airtime minutes.
I do not know how long it takes with zero usable balance before they yank your phone number, but it might have been 3 months. One experience was 6 months to recharge before I lost the phone number. The companies are not forthcoming with this.

Things do change. The prepaid "plans" one or the other sell were (past tense) not always cost effective. No details here but one -- a thousand minutes to the USA was J$1200 JD yet I never had a good enough connection to use much of it.

Digicel has a store in Negril but so does FLOW, right across the plaza/street.

***footnote. The adage/saying "friendship is a profession" in Negril is still true. You know, "My good friend I've known for only 3 days wants me to send him money." LOL.
There are so many aspects in this posting, even I don't understand all of them. LOL

RE: cell phone info here - AteTheLastSlice - 02-20-2020

So, I work in the wireless industry.

There are Blu devices that will work on Jamaican networks, but don't expect much beyond basic talk and text services. If your device is compatible, data will only work on 2G networks, so it will be extremely slow if it works at all.

Kylake, if you post the model number of the device, I can tell you for sure.

RE: cell phone info here - kylake - 02-25-2020

It is a S1 and it gets LTE when available in the area. I had checked that before purchase as I found a site that listed phones that best worked with Flow. Bought it in the US as it had decent specs. I believe I paid $79 and here put a Flow sim card I bought at the Flow store in Coral Plaza next to Value Master.

RE: cell phone info here - AteTheLastSlice - 02-25-2020

I didn't realize the list I cross referenced was only through 2018, that device is newer than that. Any device that receives b5 (850mhz) will have LTE service in Jamaica.