The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
The boat .. I watch with great - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The boat .. I watch with great (/showthread.php?tid=102697)

The boat .. I watch with great - oldtimer - 02-06-2020

interest the effort to refloat the sail boat at the Treehouse . A few years ago there was a sailboat every bit as big as that on the beach up by Hedo and that came out of the water and then back into the water . where I live in Nova Scotia there are many boats up to 50 tons pulled out of the water on island beachs years ago . The cement blocks they made can be put into the water next to the boat , build a make shift cradle on them and jack the boat up clear of the bottom ,pull it ashore with bulldozers and then right her up . There seems to be very little damage to her . IMHO it has to come ashore before it goes back into the water . look at it this way . A grown man can hold a horse with 40 feet of rope !!!! Just look at the piece of shit gas bar/dock at St.Mary's Bay ,rip a beam off that and your off to the races . The Jamaicans are pretty good at getting things done with the bare mininum so I think they will " get 'er done ".

RE: The boat .. I watch with great - CardBoardBox - 02-06-2020

Need fills:
"...piece of shit gas bar/dock at St.Mary's Bay" - is that the dock where Sue had her Internet cafe/coffee bar? Was there more than one overturned boat, because I remember seeing them refloating it (and kind of losing, lol) ***

"rip a beam off that and you are off to the races" means what? Is a beam a board?

"40 feet of rope"  to hold back a one horsepower horse? How? Reins?

*** if it was one boat one time, it is a small world cause we evidently were on the island at the same time or it stayed there a long time.
There was one behind Berger King at the jetty for a long time too, no?

PS The technique of refloating a sail boat (any boat) with cement blocks sounds sound. Related, kind of, when an small airplane has to be picked up, there are hooks on the wings. When one crane operator put a sling under the body, against advise, the plane split in two. Planes aren't designed for that stress, BUT the wings are designed to handle the weight of the plane. I read a lot of stories. Smile

UPDATE - I'll be on the island 2/24 to 3/4/2020

RE: The boat .. I watch with great - oldtimer - 02-07-2020

Yes that is the " pie in the sky " international refuelling station . there were many boats that have come ashore in Negril . 1 was a catamarin from Ireland , another was the one up by Hedo and then there was the derelict that was off the wharf .
It is a French saying about a man and a horse .
There is no way for a crane to get to the boat . You would need 150ton crane to lift it ,not because of the weight but because of the reach .
Jack it , pull it , right it and return it to the sea .

RE: The boat .. I watch with great - oldtimer - 02-07-2020

The expression is " a man can hold a horse with 40ft of rope "
If things are tough to do then you say stop your bitichin' because a man can hold a horse with 40ft of rope .
That is the best I can do to explain it to you .

RE: The boat .. I watch with great - CardBoardBox - 02-07-2020

Thanks for the explaination. Makes sense since grabbing a horse's leg wouldn't be practical.

I deleted my post above which had my request because I wasn't able to delete just the image I had included of a rope bra which was found via a google search for "40 feet of rope."