The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1303 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1303 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1395 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 500 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 177 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 182 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1358 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1358 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1395 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 500 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 177 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 182 postParser->parse_message
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
crows..what do you know about. - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: crows..what do you know about. (/showthread.php?tid=102631)

crows..what do you know about. - oldtimer - 10-08-2019

crows . I study crows way too much but I love crows . They are such good friends . They don't poop on your barn roof , they don't poop on your car , they clean up around your property and they tell you if something is around . Another thing is they fold their wings on their backs BUT !!!!! do they always cross their wings the same way . I told you I watch/study them way too much . I hope I get some replies here .

RE: crows..what do you know about. - daniel - 10-08-2019

We have crows  and ravens . Super intelligent birds . Very loud , you do know something is up  , great early warning system if in the woods .  Not sure about the crossing of the wings . One of my uncles had a tame crow , smokey joe . He was a thief , and would bring home shinny presents everyday ! 

RE: crows..what do you know about. - Aquavit - 10-08-2019

Lots of crows here. They made a movie about it.

RE: crows..what do you know about. - TAH - 10-09-2019

I don't know much about Crow's, but we had a Homing Pigeon come land on our roof this summer. Little guy then decided to take up residence on and around our deck area for a couple months. We finally had to take him to a bird rescue facility, something got at him and he/she had a cut on its breast. Wonder how that little dude or dudette is doing... 

RE: crows..what do you know about. - oldtimer - 10-29-2019

Poor little guy !!! My 2 older crows ( I quess they have been here 8 years ) are very tame . Most of their new families are always a bit timid BUT !!!!! one of the new guys this year ( I call him/her ) Dusty . He come right to me and will take anything from me BUT !!! not until I drop it . He then will rub his beak on my flip flop . A friend of mine in school had a tame crow named Jimmy . He would come to the school ,the teacher would open the window and in would come Jimmy . He would go to Ronnie's desk , Ronnie would break off a piece of a cookie and off Jimmy would go . . He did that every day . Then a bad thing happened . Ronnie had to have a heart operation . He was out of school for about 2 months but Jimmy came every day . He would come in the window and every day Mrs . Mathinson would make sure there was a cookie for Jimmy . When Ronnie came back to school it was if he was never gone .

RE: crows..what do you know about. - daniel - 05-01-2020

RE: crows..what do you know about. - kylake - 05-01-2020

What an interesting story about Ronnie and Jimmy! I know little about crows other than they and wild turkeys don't get along. I would use a crow call to get the gobblers to give up there location with a gobble. I have a corn feeder and crows are there every morning lately. There used to be a place between the interstate in Nashville and thousands of crows would come to roost about dark/sunset every evening. Progress removed all the median trees and they no longer roost there. I do know from reading their range is about 50 miles from roost each day when needed for food.

RE: crows..what do you know about. - CardBoardBox - 05-03-2020

Unknown if crows and Blue Jays are related but mentally, according to Dad, they are both very intelligent.
Dare I include that in Florida, one BJ would visit their house daily, for the peanuts had could leave (a few) in a cup. There was also a tree elsewhere where they would wait for the drive-by visitors to stop and feed them (a little) as they would fly down to say hello. I say 'a tree' because it was. A retiree or two would be seen, their car parked nearby. But hey, we here go to the creek to feed the mallard ducks with the same passion.

In PA, we are in the middle of farm country. Lot of corn. I wasn't aware that so many kernals were left on the fields after harvest which obviously fueled the birds over the winter.

The city, Lebanon, supplied both thermal mass, ie warmer than open land in the winter, and large trees where the crows would mass over night. They would come in in groups, maybe dozens, and fly around till they picked their tree. First birds would take the highest branches and screech/call to those flying overhead. It worked.

Go figure what they were saying. LOL. Eventually the trees, 100 years old, were filled. And what a racket they would make until well after dark, beconning new arrivals to land.

Haven't seem them in recent years and can't explain why the loss other then we have had mild winters. We have forests but I haven't ponderd where have the crows gone.

Two 2x4's slapped together kind of sounded like a shotgun blast and they would all fly and find another tree. I would do this when the tree was beginning to fill up yet still early enough that they still had time to find good roosts. When the tree was empty, it tended to stay empty because they wanted company.

I wonder if the crows were smart enough to not land in this tree, only first timers thinking "hey, what's wrong with this one?" before learning other trees provided a quieter place, without a guy and his 2x4.

During the long summer days (9PM sundown) I don't know where the crows would gather. Maybe no need for the thermal mass. I don't recall seeing them when the tree would have leaves.

You wanted commentary, so perhaps you want to explain why the flockier the better in a birds mind.

Some birds crap every 15 minutes, so I have read someplace. I suspect not crows. Sure the parking lot had some droppings (not as bad as Canadian gease, but  gease don't perch in trees, but crows don't turn green fields and park land unusable.) Maybe the crows crapping is why they like the higher branches. I surely wouldn't want to be on a lower branch/below another bird.

If parts of this doesn't make sense, it's because the crows are more intelligent than I am and I've spent too much time editing this post.

RE: crows..what do you know about. - JAMaMa - 07-10-2020

As an old one myself I can tell ya I am easily drawn to and distracted by bright shiny objects ?...sorry, I had been wanting to add that since I originally saw the post, but I was still lurking only.
But seriously they really are that way too. Like to steal stuff. Try putting metallic ribbons, buttons etc out for them.

RE: crows..what do you know about. - oldtimer - 07-10-2020

They come into my Tiki bar and take beer tabs that we break off . Never poop on or near the bar . I'm so glad that there was/hasbeen replies to this .