The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Don't Book Thomas Cook - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Don't Book Thomas Cook (/showthread.php?tid=102619)

Don't Book Thomas Cook - Firemon - 09-23-2019

LONDON – British tour company Thomas Cook collapsed early Monday after failing to secure emergency funding, leaving tens of thousands of vacationers stranded abroad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2019/09/23/thomas-cook-collapses-150-000-people-stranded/2416554001/

RE: Don't Book Thomas Cook - oldtimer - 09-23-2019

When I clicked on this my screen went blank like the words were erased ????

RE: Don't Book Thomas Cook - Passion4Diving - 09-23-2019

Actually, you cannot book with Thomas Cook at all to anywhere.

While that USA story talked about 150,000 TC passengers being stranded, that is just the number of UK residents (and I have read the actual count is 165,000).

But there is more: overall, I have read that some 600,000 TC clients are stranded when you count travelers from non-UK origins.

Thomas Cook was looking for some US$250million in emergency funding and did not get it, and now the UK taxpayers are liking to be paying US$750,000 to repatriate just the UK-based travelers.  Biggest effort ever attempted.

RE: Don't Book Thomas Cook - Westenders - 09-23-2019

This is not being covered by taxpayers

Atol protections will fund most of the repatriation via the CAA

The government have agreed to fly non Atol protected customers home which will be funded by the public purse

The expectation that the U.K. government can bail out every failing business is unrealistic

Thomas Cook have been sailing close to the wind for a couple of years so we haven’t booked with them

This happened to us a few years ago before we travelled but my bank refunded my money through section 75 credit card protection.

So for every one who voted for brexit in the U.K. then brace yourselves . This collapse is due In part to brexit uncertainty.

Everyone will get home, it’s just a headache

I feel sorry for people due to go been reading about people due to go on destination weddings in next few weeks, all now in doubt

RE: Don't Book Thomas Cook - Firemon - 09-23-2019

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/travel-advice-thomas-cook-flights-canceled/index.html

RE: Don't Book Thomas Cook - Firemon - 09-23-2019

RE: Don't Book Thomas Cook - Westenders - 09-24-2019

Lots of heartbreaking stories being reported re the hardships this is causing employees.

Thomas cook staff notified by text at 5am don’t come to work

Employees working abroad including Jamaica, reps and cabin crew on changeovers lost jobs and left stranded
Virgin are stepping up and flying these people home

Also reports from government that TC executives received up to 47 million quid in bonuses this year even though they were running a failing company
Govt telling them to hand the money back. Yeah right

Seems TC rented everything planes, shops and office bases, so not much company assets.

People on holidays now are being demanded for money by hotel owners or face eviction due to payments to them being paid in arrears. Not everyone can pay for holidays twice .

In the U.K. we pay for balanced on packages 8-10 weeks before travel so why tour companies then pay suppliers up to 90 days in arrears makes no sense to me.

What a mess

RE: Don't Book Thomas Cook - MissJamaicaSoul - 09-27-2019

Thomas Cook took me on my first girls holidays in the 90's and introduced me to my love of travelling.
Very sad news and upsetting to hear about cancelled weddings family trips of a lifetime lost and people short of medication.
The papers said there were over 500 Thomas Cook passengers in Mo Bay on Monday....hope they all get home soon.
Some of the hotels in Spain and Portugal and Cuba were demanding customers pay them for the cost of their stay,knowing that they have scrimped and saved to pay for their hols already.
Hope TUI travel manage to stay in business.

MissJamaicaSoulx