The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Guy In Wheelchair Shot - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Guy In Wheelchair Shot (/showthread.php?tid=102582)

Pages: 1 2

Guy In Wheelchair Shot - Firemon - 08-05-2019

The Negril Police are probing the fatal shooting of 45 year old businessman, Steve Thelwell, in Westmoreland, Wednesday evening.

A taxi operator, who was transporting the wheelchair bound businessman, was also shot and injured.

Shortly after 7 o'clock, Mr. Thelwell arrived at his apartment complex on Norman Manley Boulevard.

He was being helped into his wheelchair by the taxi operator, when two armed men ambushed them.

The men opened gunfire hitting Mr. Thelwell several times.

The taxi operator was shot in the left thigh.

Mr. Thelwell was pronounced dead at the scene, while the taxi operator was taken to hospital.

http://www.rjrnewsonline.com/local/negril-businessman-murdered

The Westmoreland police are probing the murder of a popular, disabled businessman in the parish, who was shot and killed by yet unknown gunmen at his home in Negril on Wednesday night.

The deceased has been identified as 45-year-old car mart operator, Steve Thelwell, of Norman Manley Boulevard, Negril in the parish.
Police reports are that shortly after 7:00 p.m. Thelwell drove home and was being assisted from the vehicle, when he was pounced upon by gunmen.
Thelwell and another man were shot during the attack.
They were taken to hospital, where Thelwell, who had been shot multiple times, was pronounced dead.
The condition of the other man has not yet been established.
No motive has so far been established for the attack.
The western parishes of Westmoreland, Hanover and St James are currently under a state of emergency.

http://www.loopjamaica.com/content/disabled-businessman-shot-dead-negril

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - oldtimer - 08-06-2019

I wonder where on the beach road this happened . SOE seems to mean little now If there were tourists close by would the bad guys say " not now there are tourists here and they might get hurt " or would they do their business in a crowd ? . The " it could happen anywhere " theory is getting pretty thin if you ask me .

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - TAH - 08-06-2019

(08-06-2019, 06:19 AM)double trouble ot Wrote:  I wonder where on the beach road this happened . SOE seems to mean little now If there were tourists close by would the bad guys say " not now there are tourists here and they might get hurt " or would they do their business in a crowd ? . The " it could happen anywhere " theory is getting pretty thin if you ask me .

It's been thin for a long time, and broken altogether once or twice. 

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - Westenders - 08-06-2019

Tbh what I find thin is the gun law arguments in the US

How many more children and good people going about their innocent business are going to get cut down?

While things are dire in Jamaica and it’s a work in progress , I do think it’s time for US residents to protest policy that allows more gun violence in your own backyards than Jamaica will ever experience.

It’s all just really sad

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - Aquavit - 08-06-2019

Well said Westenders.

Over the years I've heard and read people talk of their fears of getting shot randomly in Negril. In fact, every time there was a targeted shooting there would be a rash of people expressing these fears. Tell ya what - you have a better chance of getting gunned down in the US the way things are these days...especially if you are one of the "others"...

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - TAH - 08-07-2019

(08-06-2019, 10:30 PM)Aquavit Wrote:  Well said Westenders.

Over the years I've heard and read people talk of their fears of getting shot randomly in Negril.  In fact, every time there was a targeted shooting there would be a rash of people expressing these fears.  Tell ya what - you have a better chance of getting gunned down in the US the way things are these days...especially if you are one of the "others"...

That simply isn't true. It just isn't. Per capita homicide rates are pretty self explanatory. I don't understand why so many people rush to compare the recent phenomenon of mass shootings in the states to violence in vacation destinations. It isn't just here, it's pretty much all travel forums. It's useless noise, designed to distract from the topic at hand. It's also intellectually dishonest. 

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - oldtimer - 08-07-2019

There have been 2 murders in Nova Scotia this year . It is one of Canada's prime tourist destination' Nova Scotia also run the biggest pimping group NPF ( stands for North Preston's Finest ) in all of Canada . Nova Scotia has a population of just over 1,000,000 people . Do we have it under control or are other places out of control . I know for sure the US is .I know for sure Jamaica is .

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - Westenders - 08-07-2019

Tah Sorry don’t agree with you there

No intellectual dishonesty, but plenty of failed insight and critical thought with your points

So per capita or no, I don’t know of any mass shootings in Jamaica, as opposed to the 250 plus reported in the US this year alone.

I wouldn’t describe mass shootings as a phenomenon recent or otherwise, it’s a hard fact of life,

Holiday destinations, while there have been recent incidents, the number is less than 10 in Jamaica, I would be interested to establish shootings and murder rates in , just of the top of my head, Orlando, Miami and New York, all also holiday destinations. I’m sure the comparison has huge differences in stats.

But also thinking any holiday destination anywhere is crime free is a little naive

I would feel safer on a beach in Negril today than a supermarket or bar in the US, especially areas where the demographic is largely non white.

But even per capita there are parts of the US that are more dangerous than most of jamaica

What I always feel astounded at in these Internet forums is the view that things are worse in Jamaica than our countries, they are not.

We all have the exact same issues, with the exact same underlying causes and the impact is the exact same.

Me, if I felt Jamaica was such a risky place, I’d keep it moving and go elsewhere and have no interest in chatting online about a country that I have labelled and have become negative about.

There’s a long way to go to improve lives there, but a pretty good start would be the US preventing illegal guns entering Jamaica. I saw a recent article where Miami customs say they cannot manage the number of attempts of illegal consignments leaving their ports. Bullshit

Think that level of arms can be smuggled into the U.K. nah!

When people come to the realisation that a lot of this mess is due to our country’s corrupt ways with Jamaica. They will then get it and maybe have some compassion

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - Westenders - 08-07-2019

Aquavit, totally agree

OT that sounds like a nice place to live. Wonder what makes the difference

RE: Guy In Wheelchair Shot - Aquavit - 08-07-2019

"I don't understand why so many people rush to compare the recent phenomenon of mass shootings in the states to violence in vacation destinations. It isn't just here, it's pretty much all travel forums. It's useless noise, designed to distract from the topic at hand. It's also intellectually dishonest. "

RECENT???????? For the past 20 years....RECENT????????? - Schools, churches, synagogues, festivals - fuckin' Walmart? Six visitors died in that Walmart - Mexican nationals. Hello!!!!! The United States IS a vacation destination. If I were a traveler I'd avoid it right now until the laws change.

At the risk of repeating myself AD NAUSEUM.....nobody in Jamaica is picking up an AK and gunning down a store full or a bar full of people randomly. The violence we hear about in Jamaica is targeted. Doesn't suck any less, believe you me, especially for those LIVING there. The SOE was needed but seemed to have failed in this instance, which sucks as well - while the residents there live under the yoke of curfews and road blocks some ass shoots someone right at the beginning of Dream Weekend.

I stand by what I said. As a tourist you are far, far less likely to be shot randomly in Jamaica than in the US. I don't really give a shit about this "per capita" statistical nonsense - statistics have no real value to me in the face of 250 mass shooting in the US this year. El Paso had more murders in this one instance than it did all last year - so much for "per capita" statistics.

So I'll have to disagree with you about being intellectually dishonest. Quite the opposite. Just like something's gotta give in Jamaica, something's gotta give in the US.