The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Bad , Bad news !!!! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Bad , Bad news !!!! (/showthread.php?tid=102512)

Pages: 1 2

Bad , Bad news !!!! - oldtimer - 05-21-2019

A crew member on a lobster boat went overboard at 5:30AM today . Immeaditely all boats stopped fishing and began the search . About 40 boats are still looking now ( 11:00AM ) local time . It is sad and there are tears in my eyes . Probably another young man gone !!!!!!!!

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - Westenders - 05-21-2019

How sad OT

This must be very hard for you all

Best wishes to the young man - and you and yours

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - MissJamaicaSoul - 05-21-2019

Im sorry to hear your sad news. Im in awe of the brave workers who go out in all weathers and very dangerous conditions.

MissJamaicaSoulx

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - Tim - 05-21-2019

Do these workers wear any kind of flotation device? When I was 21 years old 3 of us capsized a boat in rough water in the early spring, the ice had just cleared. We spent probably 8 hours in the frigid water, still with the boat but with us in it we were up to our chest in the water. We all should have died that day, but shear will to live kept us going until we finally drifted to shore. And like idiots, no life jackets on.

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - oldtimer - 05-21-2019

Yes they do wear a PFD . It is now mandatory as of last year . My son didn't say too much about it . They are feeling pretty sad . The sea is unforgiving !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - CardBoardBox - 05-22-2019

Initial post said "... on a lobster boat ..." followed with the manditory PFD and the very strongly implied hostel waves.

DTOT, I don't ever want to read such a story about your son. A light, a whistle, even an uninvented locator becon like they have for skiers would be worth the expense.

You're retired; invent one. If PFD rules are ignored (ie, too restrictive to work in), combine it with an inflateable guys would want to wear, maybe out of wool or cotton.

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - oldtimer - 05-22-2019

Most all wear PFD's . BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when you go over the side tangled in the gear all the PFD's in the world wouldn't safe you . Fishing is DANGEROUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could think of something to wear that would make everyone safe but other than staying on shore ???? Quota's are the biggest cause of death in the fisheries . They make you go and fish or they will cut your quota . When you have the Asian's wanting every last fish and Trump and his henchmen buying our fish and then selling them as if they are Canadian !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is what drives the quota's . Fishing is a great hard working job . I would hire a young guy in the back of a boat over most people I'vs met in my life . All the BS you see on TV about fishing is only based on " small truth's " . All my kids fished at the very least one full season with me as a FULL !!!!! crew member . I thought that my youngest daughter was going to stay but she is now a " rock Doc " . My son is now the one to wring salt water out of his socks .

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - Tim - 05-22-2019

Horrible way to die, not that there's many good ways. I agree, if there was some kind of gps device these workers could wear, at least it would make it far easier to recover the body, if not the still alive fisherman.

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - oldtimer - 05-23-2019

"DTOT, I don't ever want to read such a story about your son. A light, a whistle, even an uninvented locator becon like they have for skiers would be worth the expense."

Almost impossible .1st you have oilskins on which means the only parts of your body uncovered are your hands and head so in order to get a whistle or light you would have to stand there and strip off to get to those idems How do you do that ? . 2nd Where would you hold the locator ? You are working and both hands are busy ESPECIALLY !!!!!! if you get caught in gear and you are trying to clear yourself form what ever your caught in 3rd you just don't fall overboard just standing there
All this stuff is dandy if you were fishing in a gym or on a field but in real life it's more dangerous having most of these things around you while your trying to work .On a Sunday sail wearing your shorts , tee shirt and sandals GREAT IDEA !!!!!
But thanks for the advice .

RE: Bad , Bad news !!!! - Westenders - 05-23-2019

OT as a side note

I must say you come across as a great dad who has shown his kids a lot of experiences that are solid and inspiring

I know nothing about fishing but it sounds s really tough job