The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Question about VPN - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Question about VPN (/showthread.php?tid=102326)

Pages: 1 2

Question about VPN - daniel - 01-10-2019

I am considering trying a vpn service . can anyone recommend a service that works well in Jamaica . also would like to get some bbc here in the states .

RE: Question about VPN - Aquavit - 01-10-2019

I've been using "Express VPN" since November and it works really well - doesn't slow internet speeds (the one I had last year did), accesses all the TV I couldn't access with a Jamaican IP - BUT - things like Hulu and Netflix are hip to these things...I got a message saying "it looks like you are using a VPN...." I fixed that by "fishing" around for a different state/IP address and now all is well. It also works well with my more "touchy" bill paying websites like my mortgage and my EEDIAT Bank of America Smile

RE: Question about VPN - oldtimer - 01-10-2019

Luckily I don't have a clue what you guys are talking about...hehehe !!!!

RE: Question about VPN - CardBoardBox - 01-10-2019

aquavit's post was timely.
Short answer for DTot, perhaps this will help:

https://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-should-start-using-a-vpn-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one-for-your-needs.

Long answer from a guy who would prefer a crank on the side of his telephone (LOL); I want to travel to someplace new and just saw Groupon has a China coupon where the actual company got good reviews on TravelAdvisor. One commentor suggested getting a VPN. That cause me to search vpn. My summary is it is another layer of security, costs a little $, but can also stop those "video not available in your country" msgs too.

The telephone crank connection is that I don't understand VPN either. Another simple explaination was found at
https://www.pcmag.com/review/346257/tunnelbear-vpn

RE: Question about VPN - daniel - 01-10-2019

great link cbb , very informative , and answered a few things for me  , thanks . come to Maine ..we still use crank phones .  Thank  you also Aquavit . Yup all I want to do is watch some local tv , listen to internet radio , utube , pandora, bbc, . I hate the content not available in your area or location crap.  added security is a bonus but I don't have all that much to hide  .

RE: Question about VPN - oldtimer - 01-10-2019

and what about me ??? !!!!!

RE: Question about VPN - Firemon - 01-11-2019

Got you covered OT.

[attachment=2766]

RE: Question about VPN - Westenders - 01-11-2019

Ha Ha Firemon, sure OT will like that one

RE: Question about VPN - kylake - 01-11-2019

OT, VPN stands for virtual private network and there are millions of them worldwide.
When I was working I would work from home but log into a VPN at work and that gave me access to my work computer at home just like I was sitting at a desk at work.
Now what everyone here is talking about is the fact that some TV and movie channels you can stream to a computer have no agreement with a foreign county like Jamaica in this case. Therefore they have no right to broadcast/stream certain if not all content in a country where they don't have an agreement.
So if Daniel, Aquavit, Westy, etc can get to the internet using VPN to a server network in USA or Great Brittan it makes it appear they are in that location by IP (internet protocol) address and circumvents the broadcaster/streamer seeing where they actually are located and they can then stream the content they want.
Did that help or was that confusing?

RE: Question about VPN - Passion4Diving - 01-11-2019

I have used ExpressVPN from my Apple laptop with excellent success.