The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
another story for Westy...land - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: another story for Westy...land (/showthread.php?tid=102317)

Pages: 1 2

another story for Westy...land - oldtimer - 12-28-2018

The piece of land I bought in Newell ( Treasure Beach ) had potential , it was on the top of high land . If you looked south it was overlooking Lover's Leap , and as you turned it was overlooking all the shore line toward's Black River where the Pelican Bar is today . Out over the Pedro Banks and then inland over the Santa Cruz Mts and back to Lover's Leap . A young man ,the same age as me , lived with his mother and a couple of siblings , on a little piece of land hooked onto mine . His name was Ronnie and he asked me if he looked after my land if he could use a small piece to plant a little garden . I said yes but had no idea what I was in for . When I came back there the next year ( job was finished and I had to go home to Nova Scotia to fish lobsters ) he had the start of a wonderful garden and had lots of the property cleaned up from debris and sticks and stuff like that . I didn't spend much time there but each time I returned there was more stuff done . He had cleared small spots and planted trees like banana , soursap ,coconut etc , which he would salvage from places . Soon ( several years ) it started to look really nice and Ronnie started to make a little money off his efforts . One time he asked if he could put a couple of goats down by his garden . We went down and marked off about 1/4 of an acre . A really good friendship was developing . He was making himself into a person that was making a living . My place looked like a park and was protected from squatters by Ronnie . He married and started a family on a little piece of land beside his mother's . I never did build anything on my property but would visit it often .Now came the time to sell . I wasn't going to do that WITHOUT !!!!!!!! the approval of Ronnie because of his stake in it . A couple from Baltamore called and I told them before I could sell you had to go see Ronnie for an interview . They did that and all things remained the same to this day , they have a built in gardener/watchdog/caretaker . Oh yes I almost forgot I gave Ronnie $10,000 US for his effort/kindness and hard work which also made a living for him. I unlike Shipmaster didn't go back myself . He is to be commended for his effort at Zion Hill.
I hope you enjoyed this .

RE: another story for Westy...land - Westenders - 12-28-2018

That sounds amazing OT, you was also very kind to Ronnie. The land you had sounds divine, was your intention to live in Jamaica one time?

I agree with you that the development shipmaster shares is also something really special too, and the opportunity to spend time there so often.

We have flirted with the idea of developing my husbands family house and land, along with two cousins also living in foreign. But at this point it’s a dream as the reality of life gets in the way. Time mainly.

We are also considering spending a year there in the near future as I can practice there, we are working towards this, and where we will live is one of the considerations. I look to this adventure, but personally can’t see myself living there permanently.

RE: another story for Westy...land - oldtimer - 12-28-2018

If you do that be very , very , very careful . If someone gets into/onto that property they are next to impossible to get out/off . Yes I did think of living there but lack of medical services are paramount in that kind of decesion . Another is the expat thing . Many , many , many are robbed and/or killed . It doesn't seem to matter how much you try to help or how much you get involved you still seem to be a target and that's a fact Jack and anyone who denies it is in denial .

RE: another story for Westy...land - Westenders - 12-28-2018

OT, the property already exists, it just needs some modernising now. The land has been taken care of and taxes kept up to date.Another family member is caretaker, but I understand what you are saying, you read those sorts of problems in the media a lot.

I hear what you say about safety there has been a lot of murders in recent years of returning residents. A few from the U.K. which has caused lots of debate. Nearly every Jamaican I know living in the UK wants to move back there at some point.

This is one of the considerations of where we would live on our extended stay.

Also agree with your perspective about health, that’s why we would do this while we are still relatively young and healthy enough. But I have never wanted to live there. I enjoy my life in England. My husband has mixed feelings, we visit very often , that’s enough for me.

RE: another story for Westy...land - oldtimer - 12-28-2018

It's better to have an airplane take you home than a hearse !!!!

RE: another story for Westy...land - shipmaster - 12-28-2018

double trouble ot,

Much RESPECT!!

Cap

RE: another story for Westy...land - oldtimer - 12-29-2018

Thank you Captain !!!

RE: another story for Westy...land - TAH - 12-29-2018

Great stuff. Keep it coming please. I like reading the history of how the area has changed over recent years. It's inevitable, and lamentable in some ways, but that's "progress" I guess. 

RE: another story for Westy...land - Westenders - 12-30-2018

Yes I would love to hear more too

RE: another story for Westy...land - Sharleen - 12-31-2018

I imagine the view from your property was quite amazing !