The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
single use plastic ban - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: single use plastic ban (/showthread.php?tid=102284)

single use plastic ban - daniel - 11-17-2018

I pulled trash from the sea every time I swam last year . A bottle deposit should be the next step , but I cant imagine the nightmare that might cause .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/world/the_americas/jamaica-takes-aim-at-the-trash-crisis-that-is-ruining-paradise/2018/10/11/2bba4f90-c80a-11e8-9c0f-2ffaf6d422aa_story.html??noredirect=on

RE: single use plastic ban - oldtimer - 11-17-2018

I hear ya on the plastic. Like when you go past The Corner Bar in the morning there are 100's of plastic drink cup in the parking lot .That is only one place in Negril. Up in Redground it is the smell of burning plastic everywhere .I hope they get some sort of program to help out . While walking on the beach most tourists look for a place to put the cup and most locals drop the cup . The reason that there is little trash in front of Treehouse is because the guy/woman on the security pick it up constantly .

RE: single use plastic ban - kylake - 11-19-2018

Hopefully the "Nuh Dutty Up" education campaign will help change the practice of littering.
I know on last reach I saw someone give a kid a piece of candy. He immediately unwrapped, put candy in his mouth and then threw the paper wrapper on the ground. I said, nuh dutty up, and he picked up the wrapper and put it in the trash that was close by.
All that said good and bad habits start with family and peers setting an example. We have the same littering problem here in the US also.

Rant over.

RE: single use plastic ban - daniel - 11-19-2018

It took stiff littering laws ,  30 years of education , and a bottle redemption law , Maine's roadways are fairly litter free , but , some still don't give a damn !

RE: single use plastic ban - Aquavit - 11-21-2018

The plastic bag ban (along with plastic straws and I believe styrofoam products) takes effect January 1st. For right now, the lada bags are still in great use, I had to tell the bartender at Seastar no straw and take out containers are still all styrofoam.

I'm prepared with my re-usable straw and my re-usable shopping bags!

RE: single use plastic ban - CardBoardBox - 11-22-2018

Are lada bags on the banned list? Woven plastic like a cheap tarp construction, but very reusable.

Lada, aka scandel bag, nick named cause of their large size.

According to Valerie of Heartbeat, the name caught on because of the tiny automobiles Lada which were the rage (as Russia dumped their used stock on the island), were cheap, and held a lot of people for their size.

Actually the Lada was tiny, I think. When there are 4 adults in the back of any current taxi, they seem tiny too.

If any of the above is inaccurate, please educate me

RE: single use plastic ban - Aquavit - 11-22-2018

Lada bags are single use plastic bags so yeah, I'd imagine they will be banned.

As I remember the Lada cars that were all over Negril in the 80's and 90's were bigger than the little Japanese ones that are all over now? They were mostly used as route taxis, we'd say we were "grabbing a Lada to go to town".

RE: single use plastic ban - CardBoardBox - 11-22-2018

Due to conflict between definitions, I shall never utter Lada again.
Yours makes sense because the bags are indeed everywhere.

U R right about the car not being as tiny as I portrayed. Sorry.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20111113/auto/auto1.html

5 photos therein, see #3

RE: single use plastic ban - Aquavit - 11-23-2018

When I was in St. Petersburg I saw quite a few dead Ladas all over the roads there. It was indeed nostalgic...