The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
crime and safety - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: crime and safety (/showthread.php?tid=102074)

Pages: 1 2

crime and safety - daniel - 02-24-2018

Here is a link to an article , with a fairly realistic take on the current situation . https://life.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/the-very-thing-keeping-tourists-safe-in-jamaica-crime/
note the author

RE: crime and safety - Westenders - 02-24-2018

Fantasy with a minute peppering of factual information. !!!thought it was a journalistic piece on first reading.

Never heard of the author but after a Google search, I can see that he likes to dramatise and poke fun of life's situations.

RE: crime and safety - JonTom - 02-25-2018

Westender,

Guy Kennaway's book "one people" has been recommended on here at least twice. I'm not the biggest fan but recognize the talent and enjoyed it OK.

thanks for the article Daniel.

RE: crime and safety - Raine22 - 02-27-2018

(02-24-2018, 12:23 PM)daniel Wrote:  Here is a link to an article , with a fairly realistic take on the current situation . https://life.spectator.co.uk/2018/02/the-very-thing-keeping-tourists-safe-in-jamaica-crime/
note the author

Daniel my Mom and myself are going to Jamaica soon Ochorios......Mom is jamaican left ages ago we have been warned by our travel agent to be careful while in Jamaica. I remember reading about the twenty six year old American that went missing recently they have found her body so sad.

RE: crime and safety - Westenders - 02-28-2018

(02-25-2018, 10:56 PM)JonTom Wrote:  Westender,

Guy Kennaway's book "one people" has been recommended on here at least twice. I'm not the biggest fan but recognize the talent and enjoyed it OK.

thanks for the article Daniel.

Thanks, I will take a look at this title

RE: crime and safety - shipmaster - 02-28-2018

(02-27-2018, 10:05 AM)Raine22 Wrote:  I remember reading about the twenty six year old American that went missing recently they have found her body so sad.

There was much more to that story than was published

C/S

RE: crime and safety - daniel - 03-20-2018

I can certainly agree , Mr. Kennaway's tongue and cheek  style , can get cheeky .

I know Guy personally , and while no one is saying this is the whole story regarding crime , I have seen of what he speaks first hand . I have seen these youths grow up over the last 10 years in Hanover . 

RE: crime and safety - Firemon - 03-21-2018

Sounds like he knows what he's talking about.  Well written too.

RE: crime and safety - Aquavit - 03-21-2018

He's not saying anything not everyone, in Jamaica at least, doesn't know. My friends have scammers for neighbors - they hear them on the phone plying their trade. And they are bad neighbors. They are loud, ride loud motorbikes, blast music at all hours...its often a relief when one turns up dead or the police raid and arrest.

Mr. Kennaway seems to be glorifying this national scourge. He seems to gloss over the fact that disputes are settled with guns and murder....and while they will not point a gun and shoot a tourist they WILL kill anyone who steps in their way including their family members.

And that's the grim reality. Truth is, Mr. Kennaway is safe where he is (or was) while drinking his rums in St. James. Montego Bay is currently the safest city in Jamaica. Sadly, the many who have managed to slip by the police and army barracades are hiding out in the cane fields of Westmoreland, wreaking havoc in the parish. There are shootings daily, so many they are not reported in the newspapers anymore unless a visitor or non-Jamaican is killed.

I feel safe in Negril but I'm not oblivious to the crime there. Still tons of muggings and petty crime...with more tourists comes more predators.

As far as Mr. Kennaway calling an old woman "stupid" for sending $100 after being relentlessly pressured by this piece of shit - that's just cold, its not even funny in any realm. There is a reason why his scammer friends prefer to pray on the elderly - they are vulnerable and tend to bow to pressure and fear. Which makes what they do that much more reprehensible.

There's lots of things to poke fun of in Jamaica....I'm not sure he even has the experience to do so. He doesn't live there and its easy to poke fun at a serious life issue for those that do safe in his home in the UK.

RE: crime and safety - daniel - 03-21-2018

Just so you know we are on the same page  , it is a grim reality . not fantasy ...   I thought the article was informative , and  showed  a viewpoint not widely discussed . Sometimes making light of a serious and grave issue might make some consider it a bit more. Trust me , the author is in a position to know , and is on the front line  , not  hiding out in some posh MoBay club . This scourge has affected him personally as well as those he loves .