The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
pricing in US - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: pricing in US (/showthread.php?tid=102058)

pricing in US - daniel - 02-10-2018

Been here almost two weeks already ... life is good . Mood is mellow , most everywhere .
One thing that really rubs me the wrong way is most places now have pricing in us . so now you have to carry both us and ja dollars . The rub is , if you don't have the right currency , you take a loss on the conversion in most places .  One example was Coconuts Int. , now priced in us . I paid in Ja , and they converted at 120 to 1 , when i only got 112 . Not going back . 

good news is yellowbird still at 100 to 1 , so is Nailas at NBCC !

RE: pricing in US - shipmaster - 02-10-2018

Today's rate is 124.36. I only use Jamaican

S/C

RE: pricing in US - kylake - 02-11-2018

Daniel, it was the same several places in Treasure Beach (dual pricing) last year but usually if you paid in JMD you were getting a better price, figuring the exchange rate for usd and what they expected one currency vs. the other.

RE: pricing in US - Passion4Diving - 02-11-2018

That 124.something exchange rate is the official rate used by the Bank of Jamaica.  Tourist will not get that unless they exchange money in the millions like governments do.

112 for a tourist rate is better than most Jamaican banks (was 110 on Feb 9, 2018).

RE: pricing in US - shipmaster - 02-12-2018

(02-11-2018, 06:25 PM)HedoDiveMstr Wrote:  That 124.something exchange rate is the official rate used by the Bank of Jamaica.  Tourist will not get that unless they exchange money in the millions like governments do.

112 for a tourist rate is better than most Jamaican banks (was 110 on Feb 9, 2018).

The 124 +/- rate was at the ATM in Sav on Friday

S/C

RE: pricing in US - ohliz - 02-20-2018

FWIW I get that bank rate when I use a credit card (and the CC I use doesn't have a fee).  At an ATM I also get that higher rate, but after the local ATM fee it works out about the same as the lower rate I get if I change cash at a cambio.

I hate seeing US pricing and generally ignore it. It often means things will be more expensive too. 

RE: pricing in US - Westenders - 02-21-2018

I have never used  US dollars in Jamaica and totally disregard prices in USD. Makes no sense for us English travellers.
Never have any problems spending our money lol.

Until the brexit vote the pound was stronger than the dollar for a long time. so using USD from the UK made things pricey.

Exchange took a dip immediately after but now is back up to a decent level. we Always use the cambios and the ATM,

On principal I wouldn't take USD, but that's me. I firmly believe in using the currency of the country I visit. I wouldn't expect to pay in GBP anywhere else. 

I think businesses charge USD to not only attract those US customers who only like to deal in their own currency, but because they make more money from you charging in USD...... That penny dosent seem to drop for many using the USD. Why pay more??

RE: pricing in US - CardBoardBox - 02-21-2018

After the hotel, and JutaNegril "tourist" bus, my only dealings with USD is at the cambrio. I figure if the establishments are pricing in US, they are not catering to locals.

Hotel restaurants are the exception for me, where a dish of french fries at Rock House was US$3. But in those cases I ask how much in J cause J was usually a better value.

Do not know if there is a profit motive to price things in US, more likely their xchange rate is so lousy is to insure conversion fluxuations are allowed for, OR the extra step necessary by them.

Pricing is US doesn't attract customers, but it does make it simplier for the tourist. I once heard foreign ask "How much is that in real money?" for an item which was priced in J$

IMO some places prefer getting USD, perhaps having 2 bank accounts, and US was more stable. But there could be a profit motivation too.