The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $css_align - Line: 1127 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1127 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1154 postParser->mycode_parse_img
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_img_callback2
/inc/class_parser.php 483 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 177 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 182 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Rain Rain Go Away - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Rain Rain Go Away (/showthread.php?tid=102047)

Pages: 1 2 3

Rain Rain Go Away - Firemon - 01-24-2018

It's been a rainy month in Negril.  Didn't see a single sunset in the 10 days I was there.  Skies were typically cloudy and overcast.  An expat told me that had I been there the week prior I would have wanted my money back. 

Seas were too rough for the see bottom boats all but a couple days.  The whitecaps made for great body-surfing though.  I tired fast but it was exhilarating.  The off-and-on rain/sprinkles had tourists abandoning the beach and vendors covering their wares with blue tarps.  (Note: If you walk the beach while it's raining Jamaicans will not only think you're crazy but they'll tell you as much.  Personally I'm not sure what the big deal is if you're wearing your swimsuit.)

Speaking of swimsuits I bought a new Bob Marley "Soul Rebel" swimsuit from a shop downtown near Value Master.  Picked it out one day and returned the next day with my credit card to complete the purchase making the vendor smile when I say "now where did that white man go?"

Across the street towards the cambio/Scotia Bank there was a whole string of large shops barred and shuttered that used to be full of merchandise.  Times Square, on the other hand,  was booming with busloads of tourists and colorful merchandise.  The trash dumpsters by the sidewalk in front of Times Square are rusted out and overflowing and the stink was unbearable.

The ATM in Times Square wasn't working and two of the four ATM's at Scotia Bank were out of service.  The line outside Scotia was occasionally long and you had to be bold to prevent nine or ten Jamaicans from cutting in line in front of you.  Uh, respect?

Bumped into an essentially non-English speaking couple from Poland late Saturday in the Value Master parking lot.  The guy had his credit card in his hand and he was surrounded by money-changers shouting at him.  He looked bewildered.  His wife was nervous.  I said something to her while waving follow me, she nodded, and they followed me away from the lion's den.  Scotia was closed.  The cambio was closed.  Directed them to the ATM line outside Scotia and started to leave but they indicated they wanted me to stay with them so I did.  The guy even had me go into the booth with him while his wife waited outside as he withdrew $500 US.  My good deed for the day.  Saw them again later that evening when I went to the show at Bourbon Beach where surprisingly they were staying.  BIG smiles and waves when they saw me!

Bourbon Beach, btw, has stepped up their security big time following recent fatal driveway stabbing.  Numerous checkpoints with security checking everyone for weapons.  Decent crowd there every night with either house band or DJ.  Singers such as Pinky Dread, Swallow, and Prince J.  

Stopped by Arthur's looking for an infamous rum-drinker named Shadow.  Couldn't locate him so I left word with a rasta named Juicy where Shadow could find me.  

Tamboo was closed!

Bought a new phone from Digicell.  Didn't take long.  The girl at the counter was on her game (unlike two years ago when all the transactions in the store grounded to a halt when they couldn't get any of the sim cards activated.  That was a 90 minute ordeal for nothing.)

As for the phone, I bought it so I could make calls home to the states, not receive calls.
Checked up on my pet-sitter.  All good.  Then I gave my mom a call on my birthday.  She wasn't happy I was in Jamaica.  You try.

Bought a bag of Purina dog food at Value Master and attempted to feed the stray dogs as I walked from downtown to Roots Bamboo.  I'd pour some out on the ground/sidewalk and most went to waste.  Sure they were hungry but unfamiliar with store bought dog food being more accustom to trash and leftovers.   Gave a nursing momma dog half my ice cream cone by the roundabout and that was pretty cool.  [Image: smile.gif]

Watched a beach cat early one morning as it reached into a hole in the sand all the way up to its shoulder.  Guessing it was after a crab.  

Miss Sonia's restaurant looks pretty in white with white drapery, white chairs, and white lights.  Miss Sonia was sitting outside with a wash buckets cleaning strands of lights.

Colletta's, Sweet Spot, Shamrock all busy.  Paid $550J for a quart of milk at Sweet Spot.  
Pretty ridiculous but I had Chips Ahoy cookies to consume and I was on vacation.

Woodstock is building a monstrosity next to Roots Bamboo.  24-hours-a-day sawing, banging, hammering.  By the time they're done it'll make Margarittaville look small.  

Meanwhile Roots Bamboo's expansion/renovation is on hold pending upgrading sewer system.  

It was karaoke night one night at Woodstock and that was probably the low-point of my trip as I couldn't drown out the amplified off-key tourists with my own music/Bluetooth speaker so I had to leave my own porch and escape.  

Bought a new grinder and a coconut chalice.  Got a kick out of carrying my chalice around at Capleton's show.  Naturally all the farmers targeted me to buy their Kush.  Orange Hill weed has the strongest reputation in Negril.  Whoa is it good!

Some neighbors were on a hash safari.  They stopped me as I passed by and dropped an enormous dark-brown glob into my chalice.  (Of course I carried my new chalice around!) It was my reward for entertaining them with my fire juggling they said.  One smiling dude launched into a bubble-gum hash poem and by the time he was done rapping I too was in gummy world finding it difficult to complete a sentence as my mind drifted off.   (Highly recommended.)

Ate Curry Goat at Roots Bamboo one evening while watching the warm up acts (ie-Bob a longtime Canadian guest) before a big show.    

Tony Montanna's (by the Jungle) has a great beef special on Friday nights for $1,000J.  Good deal, good food and no waiting which is real nice.  Plate arrive quick quick.  

On the Saturday I left (20th) Yellowman was set to perform at The Boat Bar; and Seastar was hosting a Canadian Bluesfest.

Money Cologne walked the beach promoting various shows at the boat bar and Woodstock.
Beres Hammond coming up Feb. 13.  

Norman the pattymon had a new sign on his bicycle.  

No jet skiis.  No horse poop.  No parasail.  

Stand-up paddleboards are gaining popularity.  A few catamarans (private).

Sunset cruise boats pass by filled to capacity and beyond.

Kenny's Italian (across from Legends approximately) is a great place to go if you like waiting forever for an over-priced poorly-prepared meal.   You can buy frozen pizzas at any gas station in America for $5 that are better than Kenny's Italian pizza.  Even worse was their Spaghetti and Meatballs.  Not one meatball!  (Ground into the sauce they say.  Horseshit!)

If you want a good pizza, no a GREAT pizza, go to Chances.  Just incredible.  Fresh toppings. Superb crust.  Worthy of multiple Michelin Stars!   And a great Jazz band with Frank Aird on trumpet Sunday afternoons.  

The 2-4-1 Dirty Bananas ($750J) at Yellowbird are not to be missed.  9-6 pm if I'm not mistaken.

24/7 Nation still vacant aside from some homeless squatters.  Gave Herman "One Foot" $500J and afterwards felt cheap.  Should have given him $1,000.  

Doled out a little charity here and there (ie--intentionally buying bruised fruit I didn't need/want) but stiff-armed the buy-me-a-beer beggers.

The Tri-Hull crew from Minnesota was in town celebrating a birthday.  They had a large contingent and they kept chef Leroy busy cooking chicken and lobster for them on his roadside grill.  Learned they had sold their catamaran to the Jackson (Treehouse) family after tiring of having to repair the hull every time it break free and beach itself.  

Juna's roadside soup kitchen is now always stationed by Bourbon Beach.  He's my favorite.
Vegetable soup, conch, peanut porridge, etc.  Off on Fridays.  (Name on his cart say Juniors I believe.)  One night I was staring at my money trying to add it up in the dark--and I was a little short although still unsure what the denominations were--when Juna said "Don't worry yourself" settling for what I had even though I was $150J short. Made good the next night.
Lots of good people in Negril.

Okay, gonna take a break and continue in a bit.  Got a few photos/videos to upload.

RE: Rain Rain Go Away - Westenders - 01-24-2018

Thank you 

Great read

RE: Rain Rain Go Away - Oldtimer2 - 01-24-2018

Good work !!!! Yes it was a nice read .

RE: Rain Rain Go Away - kylake - 01-25-2018

Very nice read Firemon...Thanks!

RE: Rain Rain Go Away - Firemon - 01-25-2018

This was a Friday afternoon at The Boat Bar.  A rain had just chased away much of the crowd.  Only a light sprinkle at this point when I got out my camera.   Had to finish my fish sandwich first.  Mmmm.  

Rasta Jah B feel the groove.   Silk-screen T-shirt artist Lindsay is chillin' with Frank.   Singer Otis Gayle snap his fingers to the beat.   Likkle Red and Frank's lady from Holland watch the show.

Crystal is singing Donna Summer's "I Will Survive" with such energy and feeling it gave me goosebumps.   The waitresses at the bar get up and dance too. This was also her closing number the previous Friday and I wish I'd had my camera then because not only was the place packed, but EVERY woman in the joint was SINGING and many stood up to join her. Powerful. Such talent.

Had the waitress deliver a Red Stripe to a Pirate watching the show.  Says he has a birthday party planned this Saturday at The No Name Bar with lots of music (including Crystal) on tap.

Drummer (Joe of Studio One fame I believe) appreciate the closeup.

You can see the grey skies for yourself along with the rough seas and near-empty beach.  Not saying the sun didn't come out but this seemed to be the norm. 

"And the rain came down, but the show must go on," Gayle.

RE: Rain Rain Go Away - wendy - 01-25-2018

Great read Firemon. I haven't seen Shadow for 2 reaches now, don't know what's up with that. 
Woodstock building rooms I think I've heard.

A little more Crystal from a previous trip.

I was playing dominoes on my porch when Shadow showed up.  Made an effort to talk with him and ask about a mutual acquaintance but he reeked of rum and his mind wasn't working too good.  Believe he asked me eight or nine times "Where are you staying?" while watching the domino game.  Wasn't sure if I'd see him again so I gave him $500J.  In retrospect I should have bought him a meal but lazy me wanted to keep playing.  

Lots of Jamaicans were still saying "Happy New Year" even though it was already mid-January which I thought was strange.  On the other hand I brought along a string of Christmas lights for my room so...

There was a parade of Chinese Lanterns being launched somewhere along the beach practically every night.  Watching them rise in unison and chase one another over the sea into the stars was a delight.  

Barry and Marlene made a trek to Roaring River School to review funded improvements and set up a beach day for the kids at Roots Bamboo.   They were joined by another Canadian couple who also assisted financially.  

The petite gal in the building next door is always wearing cat ears.  She has multiple colorations.  Not sure if this is vacation-behavior or her normal look.  

Spent some time reading Guy Kennaway's book "One People" while relaxing on the beach.
Very funny.  Then I showed painter Rohan the cover artwork (since the style was similar to his) and he sat down with a smoke and sketched it out in the sand before exclaiming, "Gary, this painting is going to make me a lot of money!"  

[attachment=2649]

A day later and I had a new oil painting (3-1/2 foot wide and 2-1/4 foot tall) for my wall at home.  

[attachment=2650]

Made the walk from downtown to the Red Dragon in Redground for lunch three times.  Don't be late or all the food might be gone. Half-pound spicy pork $600J. Red Stripe so cold there's frost on the bottles.  Ragabones was busy behind bar.  Locals come in with $200J and get 1) small cup of bottle water; followed by 2) a shot of JB; and 3) one cigarette. Good deal.  After five or six locals passed through I commented to Ragabones that I noticed none of them had tipped him and he just smiled and laughed.  

[attachment=2651]

RE: Rain Rain Go Away - Firemon - 01-26-2018

Great show.

Capleton's band was super hot.  They played a long powerful driving pulsing mesmerizing instrumental set before Capleton came out.   "That's MUSIC," said Frank of Alpha Boys School in Kingston, who also used to play trumpet with Byron Lee & The Dragoneers. 

RE: Rain Rain Go Away - Firemon - 01-27-2018

Lost track of how many times I was called "General."

Red plate taxi from the beach to the roundabout $150J

Bought a bottle of "Roots Tonic" from the medicine man at the roundabout.  Small swig every morning just to feel irie.

The Blue Dandy is always hustling along the road with Jerk Chicken.  Chef Jerry. 

Left my inflatable mattress behind with a cute couple from Argentina.  Also bought some jewelry from them (a surfboard shaped necklace with Jamaican flag).   The dude had long dreadlocks and had never been to Jamaica before.  

Went to Margarittaville so I could watch the NFL playoffs.  Sat at the beach bar so I could keep an eye on the Caribbean.   Tried to order conch fritters but alas they are no longer on the menu much to the chef's lament.  Had a lobster with garlic mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables.  Dinner was fabulous but my overall demeanor was no doubt also influenced by the Vikings early-game domination over the Saints.  The Purple were giving Minnesota fans plenty to cheer about.

Decided to start walking back at halftime since I'd noticed the game was on at White Sands and I'd yet to pay a visit.  Pina Coladas were 2-4-1 and made to perfection.  The bartender kept my second one in the fridge/freezer until I was ready. There were a couple other Vikings fans at the bar along with a married couple from New Orleans which made watching the game with them even more fun than it had been watching by myself at Jimmy Buffets.

It was near the end of the game and the Saints were facing a do-or-die fourth down when I stood up from my barstool ready to celebrate with arms stretched overhead while declaring, "Get out your paper bags Saints' fans," only to witness New Orleans not only convert but go on to take the lead on a field goal.  Gulp! And then of course the most incredible play in Vikings' history followed with Diggs hauling in a Hail Mary with no time left on the clock.  It's safe to say I'll always remember where I was when that happened--NEGRIL!