The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Sangster Airport Upgrade - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sangster Airport Upgrade (/showthread.php?tid=102032)

Sangster Airport Upgrade - JonTom - 01-10-2018

It seems like this airport gets upgraded every 5 or 10 years. I suppose that is progress of a kind.
The article says the expansion had already begun, and I believe I read about runway extension to allow larger planes some time back.

" ... expected to improve ... customer comfort, and greater efficiency in handling throughput in immigration and arrival areas."

Now if something could be done about the security people at departure. Some of the surliest, angriest Jamaicans I've ever encountered.
On the other hand, last trip I had a genuinely nice immigration officer at arrival, cracking jokes, etc. A rarity for me.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business-observer/sangster-international-airport-gets-us-40m-upgrade_122064?profile=1606

RE: Sangster Airport Upgrade - CardBoardBox - 01-11-2018

You'll take this wrong, but my knee-jerk reaction is Don't bitch about it, Do something. I'll get back to this in a minute. Kind of anyway.

My first upsetedness was when JA leased the MoBay airport to an outside firm. The second was with the installation of those million-dollar sky-bridges replacing the roll-up steps. The third was the seeming endless maze of concrete to get to Immigration.

If you look at the breakdown of the airfare, you'll see fees for the airport. Remembering when there was a J$750 then J$1000 departure tax (no pay and you don't fly as it was collected at the check-in counter) Of course, overall, currently the taxes and fees are more than what the airline gets.

So naturally, more fees mean more expansion, and visa-versa. Nothing is too expensive when someone else is paying. The price of food at the airport is an exception. US$14 for a Wendy's hamburger.

You (oh oh, signal of a personal attack via Internet postings) can do something about the ill-mannered (sp?) folk at the airport. There is a web site for MBJ and they accept feedback. It is worth a shot IMO.

Examples. Bear in mind that associated links and different issues have been used. Here comes my soap box:

When the US imposed the three ounce rule, it was me who brought it to their attention that 3.4 ounces was the toothpaste size. After that, 3.4 replaced the "3 ounces" in documentation.
When MBJ was still taking away disposable lighters, it was me who sent emails including links to revised US policy and soon thereafter people got to keep their lighters. I did propose an alternative - have buckets of free lighters for arriving passengers.

I also proposed to the US that all those sealed jars of peanut butter still being grabbed, and trashed, be auctioned off OR available for anyone to grab. That flew over like the Hindenburg blimp.

When the first security person you encounter entering the secure area of the airport, who was also advising that cigarette lighters were not allowed, hit me up for something to eat from Burger King, my bitching via email got her replaced. Sorry, but it was like I was in Negril. I say "her" because I remember her being stationed there over many trips.

I have not undertaken the incorrect visa policy in affect (3 months or pay) nor how poorly the immigration line/queue is handled by the staff, but these are areas which should be addressed.

The link you supplied JonTom I am sure is appreciated for those (of us) always interested in news (too often fluff) but when it comes to spending money or policies, I think back to US Banks which enforce crap "to protect us", but to use an expression from my college days, news of improvements are akin to "Roll up your sleeve and bend over"

RE: Sangster Airport Upgrade - JonTom - 01-11-2018

CCB,
I can't take it the wrong way, b/c I'm not sure I followed all of it, but regardless I wouldn't take offense b/c, in my experience, you mean none.

I admit to not doing anything (about the surly departure security people). They scare me and are banished to the stuff of nightmares (alongside nuns with knuckle-smacking rulers).

I hadn't considered the cost of the moveable jetways, but I bet they do provide faster de-planing/on-boarding in the occasional rainstorm (which I think saves the airlines $, in fuel, etc.).

RE: Sangster Airport Upgrade - CardBoardBox - 01-11-2018

yea, I go on and on and on sometimes.
The "possible offense" warning was ONLY because I used the word "you." Internet postings/comments with the word "you" makes some people naturally defensive, or offended.
I am sure I should have revised my sentence. There's a lot of history ....

Jet Bridges are a good thing for people in wheel chairs, or as you mentioned, when it rains, and it reduces time loading/unloading. Did you know that MBJ charges $125 to move the bridge to the plane? And they charge by time used too.

TSA scares me. Maybe it is just the annoyance or their dumb actions.
I want to work in how the police can get away with killing someone reaching for their wallet, but a civilian would end up in jail. Those cause nightmares. But I can not equate trigger happy cops to the either TSA or immigration other than saying that power hungry people like to play god sometimes.

If you have legit complaints or concerns or feedback, I plead with you to send them to the proper people at MBJ. One person can make a difference.

RE: Sangster Airport Upgrade - Oldtimer2 - 01-12-2018

How do you know it costs $125 to move the bridge to the plane ? Doesn't the plane come to the bridge ? Just wondering.

RE: Sangster Airport Upgrade - JonTom - 01-12-2018

OT, I don't know about the $125, but I know the plane tries to park on its "mark" (there are paint stripes for each type/size of aircraft expected at any particular gate - or there used to be, I haven't looked for them for some time), which gets it "close".

The motorized bridges have wheels on the bottom to allow for the final precise positioning. I see the flight attendants give the thumbs up to the ramp agent through the door window, presumably to tell them they are aligned, but I'm not 100% sure on that. If you've ever been on a plane where the ramp agent spends a long, long time trying to get the bridge aligned, you note these things (particularly when they give up on the "forward" door and move the bridge to the "middle/forward" door).

RE: Sangster Airport Upgrade - CardBoardBox - 01-12-2018

One arrival at MBJ and a person in training took forever before the bridge was aligned right.

Someone once told me that if they bump the jet during the alignment, the plane has to be checked out, or words to that affect. I'm confident they do not mean that "skirt" or covering which gets extended.

Now I was going from memory, so my $125 figure might be wrong, but check out the fees MBJ charges. I also know US airports charges the airline to land, but I'm not researching that at this time. Smile

http://www.mbjairport.com/rates-charges