The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.17 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Cigarette Questions - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Cigarette Questions (/showthread.php?tid=102018)

Cigarette Questions - Firemon - 12-30-2017

Do Jamaicans prefer foreign cigarettes or Jamaican brands like Craven A and Matterhorn?
Is the cost differential significant or do U.S. brands and Ja brands cost about the same?
Are cigarettes cheaper or more expensive in Jamaica than in the U.S.?

I'm a non-smoker (ahem) but a night watchman I know lights up.  Figure he'd appreciate a pack.  

Any advice?

Oh, and an unrelated question, can anyone recommend a shop that sells well-made coconut chalice?  

RE: Cigarette Questions - CardBoardBox - 12-31-2017

My belief / experience is the locals prefer Craven A when offered a choice, probably because that is what they are used to. People everywhere can be very choosy, even buying a carton at 54 bucks when another brand is available for 24.

Tangent - flavor does vary. Really ugly (?) brand has been referenced a "floor sweepings" although I found the $12 a carton item in Miami airport duty free was rather acceptable.

A 10-pack of Craven-A cost a friend J$560 2 weeks ago.
Years ago, due to taxes, Marlboro in Jamaica had risen to US$8 for a 20 pack and was near the same as Craven A. US brand choices are limited.

Very recently, Fort Lauderdale, and JA duty-free between immigration and Customs for arriving flights, had Marlboro around $54 but USA-Gold was $31 (up from $27 a carton one month prior.)

Are they cheaper in the US than Jamaica? That really depends on the city and State they are purchased in. PA last year added on $1 a pack tax so my brand (Eagle blue) is now $53. Florida was also $53. In Virginia at the right store, $24 a month ago.

Too many variations (brands/taxes vs duty free) and unknowns but since no one else responded, the above is something Firemon.

You didn't ask, but local citizens in JA are not picky when smoking OP's (other peoples.) If your friend is only getting a pack from you, I would advise the local brand. If you want to spring for the carton at a good price, I am sure he will seem appreciative.

Cultually (sp?), what I found interesting was that a "Do you have an EXTRA cigarette?" which gets a response of "I only have one left" is this:
In the US, the request is dropped. In Jamaica they say "OK" and they take the cigarette.

RE: Cigarette Questions - wendy - 01-01-2018

Duty free in mobay airport, 2 carton deal was $75 u.s or a tad higher, i forget... for my brand Marlboro lights/gold. So pretty much its a steal compared to u.s prices as my one carton price here is $85. 
In my situations doesn't matter what I'm smoking I always get asked for one....

RE: Cigarette Questions - CardBoardBox - 01-01-2018

Wendy, years ago I made the mistake of buying 2 cartons and US Customs made me pay $10 duty on the 2nd one. Now a days I make it a point to write down AND tell whoever asks "Cigarettes, ONE carton."
Also years ago a boardie brought 2 cartons into JA and their Customs demanded US$40 duty on the 2nd one. The guy opted to leave the 2nd carton with Customs but strangely (LOL), that carton couldn't be located when the guy returned to MBJ for his homeward flight.

RE: Cigarette Questions - Firemon - 01-03-2018

Entertaining replies.  

Think I'll just wait and buy a pack of Craven A in Negril since that brand seems to be the most popular.

Rather bizarre name for smokes though.  According to Webster's a craven is a coward--someone lacking courage.  Wonder how many smokers know that?

RE: Cigarette Questions - Oldtimer2 - 01-04-2018

Many years ago when I still smoked cigs a few of us were drinking/swimming/hanging out at De bus .There was a pack of my Export A's sitting on the cement table and a beach bum from 2 tables over asked for a cig . As I would here I closed the pack and tossed it over to him to take 1 out . He threw the pack back at me and demand that I carry them over to him . Now this was about 40 years ago AND i WAS IN TIP TOP SHAPE ABOUT 200LBS 5'10'' AND NOT AN OUNCE OF FAT ON ME . Well it took me about 5 steps and I hit the guy straight in the nose driving it out of sight . I thought I killed him . Not a kick out of him . He hit the sand like a 1000 of brick ,blood everywhere ,no teeth left in the front of his mouth ,but he was still breathing . It took about 2-3 minutes before he moved a muscle and his friends just stood there staring at him and me . I said " does any one want a smoke ". Silence was the sweet reply and they carried/dragged/helped him away and I was never asked for a cig again by any of the bar fly's at De Bus . End of story.

RE: Cigarette Questions - Firemon - 01-04-2018

Holy Smokes!!!  

Sounds a bit like a Tareyton/Lucky Strike smoker--"I'd rather fight than switch."

Folks are always asking me for rolling papers and I've learned that if you hand someone your pack half the time they'll take advantage and peel off a half-dozen or so sheets so now I give them exactly what they requested--one paper.   Same thing with rum cream and coffee.  I'll do the pouring.  If you let the guest pour their own rum cream your bottle will be empty when you get it back.  

RE: Cigarette Questions - Oldtimer2 - 01-04-2018

I have little to no time for bums .I jump right on it .BUT !!!! not at night now .

RE: Cigarette Questions - wendy - 01-05-2018

I always bring in 2 cartons of U.S smokes as the ones in ja don't taste the same and when leaving I get the 2 carton deal for home and smoke them anyways

RE: Cigarette Questions - Firemon - 01-22-2018

$100 J per cigarette on the beach.  Most Jamaicans appear to be buying one or two at a time.