The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
The Jungle Gets Panned - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Jungle Gets Panned (/showthread.php?tid=101938)

Pages: 1 2

The Jungle Gets Panned - Firemon - 10-26-2017

A popular Negril nightclub has now seemingly, and perhaps brazenly, become a training ground for pimps, prostitutes and con men. Like lions hunting prey, they lurk behind the clouds of smoke and disco lights looking for any hint of fresh meat they can latch on to; and once found, go in for the kill. An innocent night out with the students to experience the Jamaican entertainment scene quickly turned into regret as we became security guards attempting to scathe off the many indecent proposals from men, women and tweens alike.

http://sports.jamaica-gleaner.com/article/commentary/20171025/beienetch-watson-and-nicole-hay-walters-negril-paradise-burning

As more multinational corporations acquire what is left of the 'Capital of Casual', what are the long-term implications for the people of Negril? More so, with law enforcement seeming to ostensibly accept the status quo as tourism organisations continuing to embellish the few positives of this once tranquil paradise?

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - CardBoardBox - 10-26-2017

half expecting the thread to be a video, I decided to come and read anyway.
The quoted text is a fair representation of what the column issues as a warning, and a change of times for Negril.

It is a good piece to read in full. Thanks for sharing.

I know the craft market was always a hard sell, but it has been a long time since I last visited. The piece makes me a bit worried about my visit in December (yea, planned). Since the redesign, and a loss of the old flavor?, to date I have only skirted it to get to the beach (which is shorter than walking pon the road to get to the NBC Condos.)

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - Oldtimer2 - 10-27-2017

This sounds like a job for Bobby . He should be able to safe Negril faster than a speeding Rasta .

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - JonTom - 10-27-2017

" ... didn't come as shock a few weeks later to learn of the murder of a Canadian tourist."

I don't believe I've heard of this murder. There was the Canadian shot during the robbery last summer (June 2016), but this article points to something more recent, I think.

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - shipmaster - 10-27-2017

Other than to go to the beach or have a nice dinner why would anyone go to Negril anyway?

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - Oldtimer2 - 10-27-2017

In days gone by to hear some live music. These days it sometimes appears it's for cheap blow .

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - Westenders - 10-28-2017

The jungle has been like this for as long as I can remember, so I'm not sure where the point of deterioration is..... And I agree that the Canadian tourist murder was a while ago, which throws up some questions about why this article has been printed now.

We recently visited the craft market as my granddaughter wanted to buy gifts for her friends, yes it's full on but I think it's unfair to describe it as aggressive or harassment. We were courted by everyone, and encouraged to come in their stall area, everyone was polite and friendly, and if we didn't want to make a purchase there was no drama. When we had all we wanted, we left ...no problems. I think some tourists go with a fearful mindset....and this is some of the problem. We have travelled all over the world and markets are often a place for haggling and are competitive. I think some folks are just not experienced travellers and believe the ' experts' hype that are so profoundly present on many online forums.

In terms of Negril, for me it is a glaring example of the deterioration of Jamaica as a whole. The poverty and hardships have  worsened across the island, so why wouldn't the people flock to a tourist hub and try and make money? Negril is where tourists see the extent of the ravages of living in Jamaica. There's no haven tucked away somewhere.
What would we do in this position? With families to feed and a government that dosent help anyone.

Look at treasure beach and port Antonio who some are heading to in order to capture some of the old Negril vibe, give it ten years and it will be just the same as Negril,  when tourism develops in these areas, as unfortunately some tourists are part of the problem.

Selling all canabis derivatives is very in your face now following decriminalisation....food for thought about this political decision.....it's not going down well with UK travellers...I see that .

Now the powers that be in Negril, such as the parish council, police,  tourist board and the hotel owners also need to answer as to why they have allowed and made decisions which is serving to bring Negril to its knees.
The all inclusives in bloody bay are squashing out all of the smaller businesses.....
Why is the road to the cliffs still in such bad disrepair?
Why do they continue to enforce the music ban? I really don't want to be sitting at drifters, boat bar and playing board games at bars.....it's becoming like the OAP Mecca.
A lot of the life and soul of Negril is gone, and how do they plan to attract younger people into the future ? Must be the all inclusives?

I believe in " life fulfils prophecy" and there is so much complaining about Negril....without thinking what could be put in place to improve and return it to its former position in people's hearts. Not return it to the place it was in the 70 and 80s as that wouldn't happen anywhere.

Long held romantic  memories of a time decades ago does not help, and neither does the constant moaning that happens by many on these boards......but yet strangely many of the people who are so vocally negative online still go to Negril.....why? 

Negril to me is the poster child of the corruption, poverty and lack of investment and controls that is Jamaica....until the root causes are addressed....nothing will change and the decline will continue.

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - Oldtimer2 - 10-28-2017

Westie ,I agree with you on all fronts except one . I don't think the ganja thing is the selling point now . In Canada we are just months from freedom from the law . Having said that the Canucks are certainly not there for their " ditch weed ".The same can be said about a lot of the US . It's the blow that is bringing her to her knees . Foreign ownership is bad . What that brought was building up not out . The small places would have been fine if they were able to fill in the blanks but the big guys build up . Like up in Redground . Go for a stroll and see all the little places . Instead of the big places having a dozen bars on site have a dozen along the road ,mixed in with little shops and cookhouses . Take the blow away and it can be retrived from the bad guys . BUT !!!!! that is only the simple form that " ain't goinna happen" . I am now there for the weather . Treehouse has brought back a new relaxation for me . The CCLP thing ,not so much . I want a place where I don't have to be on my " A " game 24-7.
Nice post Westie !!!!

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - Aquavit - 10-28-2017

"Other than to go to the beach or have a nice dinner why would anyone go to Negril anyway?"

Because its home, warts and all.

RE: The Jungle Gets Panned - daniel - 10-28-2017

After 40 years , my opinion . Coke , Quaaludes , and other drugs of the day , Prostitutes , thief's , beggars , aggressive vendors , they were all there 40 years ago  . Drug business built Negril .  

It should not come as a surprise that the 21st century version of Negril is a little more in your face !  There must be a market .... who is to blame ?

What keeps me coming back ?  In spite of all it's problems(warts) Negril is cool . The genuine Jamaican vibe continues to shine through . Development is a bit much , but fairly low key . The beach is gorgeous , the cliffs are world class unique !  Social people  from all over the world enjoying a holiday . 

Last time I was in the Jungle was to  see  Dwayne Stevenson .  the year they moved the concert series from Negril Escape .  I left a show a BB last winter because I was alone , wife home in bed , and  the sharks were to much to handle  , but , for the most part we make our own way , and continue to really enjoy it .