The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere (/showthread.php?tid=101811)

Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - JonTom - 06-01-2017

This story is sad but could serve as a reminder to never, ever leave valuables in a car.

This family's luggage was robbed from their car shortly after arriving in JA for a wedding.

"...  I never thought something like that could happen in Portmore,” she stated.

Really? I hope this doesn't look like blame-the-victim because anyone robbed, of anything, anywhere has been wronged. However, I do think it prudent to never leave valuables in a car. I don't do that anywhere, and certainly wouldn't in JA.

The only place I'd consider it is Japan, and I still never did. I lived there for awhile and the stories about leaving something trivial as an umbrella on a train and it has a good chance of being returned to you (provided you have info on it) are true. I still wouldn't take my chances. Cynic? maybe.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/nightmare-family-of-three-robbed-of-everything-shortly-after-arriving-in-ja-for-wedding_100490?profile=1606

Family of three robbed of everything shortly after arriving in JA for wedding

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - CardBoardBox - 06-02-2017

cash and passport never out of hand, I think we all know. 2 other stories of car theft were: once-in-lifetime film, and a teachers book of student grades; both non-replaceable. Inserted screw driver in trunk lock and turn with wrench.

I read all 193 comments of the story but have questions which would come across as very cynical (casting doubt) of the people and event. Add "don't newer cars have alarms?"

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - JonTom - 06-02-2017

CCB,
I went back and read some of the comments today (some times I do, sometimes I don't). Not all of them but many.

Not too surprised to see a bit of bickering over who is a criminal and who isn't.

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - JonTom - 07-10-2017

A Follow Up story.

I still find the initial behavior (leaving all the luggage in a car, even if briefly) a bit odd, but calling out the JCF is pretty gutsy (assuming they ever intend to return to JA, or, as is apparently the case, have relatives in JA).

"Family robbed of eight suitcases upset about police behaviour"

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/family-robbed-of-eight-suitcases-upset-about-police-behaviour_104037

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - CardBoardBox - 07-11-2017

The 2nd story is more interesting than the first because it highlights what a joke the police force can be.

Exposing the problems is good but in my negativism, the "this is broken" will only be met with "why should I fix it?" from authorities up the ladder. Once employeed or elected, there seems to be no incentive for making things better.

The 201 comments were what I expected but I will quote one from 19 hours ago mainly because it is burried many page clicks down:

If you leave the country immediately after the crime it is hard to prosecute. That goes for all countries. If these people were where they said they were then they are most likely Jamaican. A visitor ticket is not usually rebookable. So it would have cost quite a bit to leave the next day. Why not stay and buy a bit of clothing and go to the police and be able to give them all they need for an investigation. You out of the country and the family down the road, each with a case, which do you think will get priority? And folks, I promise you this goes for all countries. Go to USA, get robbed, go home next day and see if it ever reaches the court. Most robbery without violence never go to court unless it of extremely great value. I was robbed in one of these countries Jamaican beleive to be some much better than their own. Nothing was done...I did not know who did it. Month later I was called in; A man had been arrested for another crime and he had something belonging to me in his wallet. Even then the police did nothing. They knew I would have already been compensated by my home insurance. What was there to be gained? A lot of cost to the tax payer? These people will quite likely be compensated by home or travel insurance. Even if someone was caught and put in prison, it might help other potential victims in Jamaica but how do they benefit? They should move on with their lives.

# # #
"gutsy", JonTom?

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - JonTom - 07-11-2017

(07-11-2017, 04:18 AM)CardBoardBox Wrote:  ...
# # #
"gutsy", JonTom?
Hi CCB,

I'm unclear if you meant:
1) Do I still think the person who complained to the press is "gutsy"
or
2) Do I think the commentator you quoted was "gutsy"
or
3) Why the word choice of "gutsy"
or
4) something else entirely.

If #1. I should admit that even when typing "gutsy" I realized I don't have first hand knowledge of what happens to Jamaicans returning to JA after complaining in the press, but I typed it anyway. I was inferring that if someone complained to the press about the JCF, and the JCF knows who you are, there likely could be consequences for you if you return to JA, or for your family/relatives in JA.

If #2. No, IMO the comments were not all that "gutsy", because (as far as I know) the identities are anonymous. I suppose it could still be "gutsy" to post some things even anonymously, but I summarized the comments as "stop whining, it happens everywhere". I agree with questioning why they had to immediately leave the country. But I disagree with  the thinking of "it might help other potential victims in Jamaica but how do they benefit?". In my view, helping other potential victims is the benefit in-of-itself.

If #3. No defense. It just popped into my head.

If #4. Please clarify if you wish.

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - CardBoardBox - 07-11-2017

3 and 1. I understand 3 as we (?) do not necessarily have a basis using language to describe a mental process. Brain to keyboard; Many do it.

Number 1 because of 2 reasons. A person should not be a sheep when they have been wronged, and that police SNAFU is a moral crime of technical and professional misdeed. Gusty, bold, pi$$ed, deservitly so.

Yet I dont think that the police will take punitative action against the family.

Maybe, just maybe, I asked the question because of my #1 and wanted to invoke more interest in this story (not the dumb/fishy? initial event) and would be pleased if there was a positive outcome from the lady following up in the newspaper.

Slightly related to that, was when Delroy of MiYard told the installers of the camera pole in front of his restaurant that it would fall down, and this Spring he posted a photo of it on the ground. Tourist money wasted with no indication that such an event would not be repeated

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - JonTom - 07-12-2017

CCB, TY for explanation/reply. Got it.

I also hope for a positive outcome for the robbery victims, but I don't expect one.

For the Delroy camera pole, the question is whether it "fell" or it was "felled".

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - CardBoardBox - 07-13-2017

U R welcome, and a TY right back at ya for response.

Is it kosah (sp?) to include the links t Delroy's site? The original post was when he had told the installers the footing in the sand was insufficient to maintain a pole that high in a vertical position.
The boss told Delroy he was wrong rather rudely.

The recent post with photo showed the footing (concrete base) was not deep at all. Thankfully, not camera was installed (and there was debate if the camera would be useful that high to catch any 'bad guys'.

It would be spectulative of me to say the pole fell by natural causes; I was not there at the time so it would only be a rumor. LOL

The camera idea was just another knee-jerk reaction by some politian after a recent murder, and an engineer and planner who weren't qualified or didn't think things through. IMO. Concept, and intent, had a basis, for indeed west end crime seemed unchecked.

RE: Don't leave valuables in a car - ever - anywhere - Oldtimer2 - 07-13-2017

Bobby could probably clear that up for you guys . You know how the roomer ,I mean rumour mill is . He is the man and if you doubt it just ask him but be prepared to get a scolding...hehehe