The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? (/showthread.php?tid=101791)

Pages: 1 2

has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - Sharleen - 05-03-2017

I keep in touch quite regularly with the news in Belize, more specifically the islands off the coast of Belize because it is really easy to retire there, many financial incentives to do so, I can bring my dog, get a car in easy, get appliances in easy and all those kinds of considerations that are so very hard to do in Jamaica.  Really a sad case is going on there right now, not on either of the two islands I'm interested in, but in the mainland of Belize still.  And all over, in so many countries "it's not easy to be an ex-pat":
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/03/canadian-murdered-in-belize-had-been-threatened-cops

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - Firemon - 05-04-2017

You at least made me look at a map to locate Belize.   Not far from Costa Rica and lots of other expats.

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - JonTom - 05-05-2017

Well, since I'm scheduled to be in Belize (not in that area, much farther south) in 5 weeks; I am now.

Having read about it a bit,  I don't think it affects my thinking on Belize (or the vacation) much, but will probably look for news of what happens at some point.

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - CardBoardBox - 05-05-2017

I too looked at the map, and read many of the items on the first page of Bing search results, including the latest ABCnews story of the incident.

The smaller (safer?) 2 islands would mean a water taxi for healthcare, and after having visited the hospital in SavLaMar, I've had a rethink about relocating to ANY island.

Jamaica also allows duty free import of household items, but the merits and obsticles would be too long.

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - Passion4Diving - 05-06-2017

A bit off topic, but I have to say, cardboard, that you survived a visit to the Sav hospital.  So many Jamaican friends have told me that the reputation of that hospital is that it is a place to go to die.  The health care is so poor.

Back to Belize.  From what I have read, most of the crime is in and around the city of Belize and much of it is initiated by gang warfare.  Still the murder rate is third highest in the world.

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - kylake - 05-07-2017

Sharleen, I have been following. I believe they have an ex-pat in custody and suspect him. I had also read it might have started with a real estate deal that soured.
CBB, I am with you on the healthcare or lack thereof on islands. Looking more and more at Panama and Costa Rica because since they seem to have better hospitals and clinic care.

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - Ron-Mon - 05-11-2017

I have been trying to follow this closely as Belize is on my list to try out ex pat life. In a couple years I qualify for their retiree program which is really attractive and the best I have found.

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - Sharleen - 05-11-2017

Ron-Mon, what I like most is the ease of bringing your own car there, I do love Jamaica so but it is so expensive to buy a car there -- I used to drive literally all over the island but for the last 15 years or so find the driving too stressful.  Much information is on the web regarding purchasing a car in Texas, the types of vehicles easy to maintain in Belize, as well as information/Belizians who will meet you in Texas and drive you and your car there, dealing with all of the paperwork.  Besides this, I have a definite thing about my dog coming with me... I am only interested in leaving my home for six months, I live in a beautiful area on acreage with amazing views where I am "BUT" it is totally a horrid place to live in the winter.  And my joys of being a skiing person is long gone.
    Tomorrow night at 9:00 EST there is a show on John McAfee which will most likely focus on some of his many issues while in AmberCaye (sp?) which might be interesting.  It does seem though that petty theft on that island and the other one is a gigantic problem daily. 

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - Ron-Mon - 05-15-2017

(05-11-2017, 09:59 PM)Sharleen Wrote:  Ron-Mon, what I like most is the ease of bringing your own car there, I do love Jamaica so but it is so expensive to buy a car there -- I used to drive literally all over the island but for the last 15 years or so find the driving too stressful.  Much information is on the web regarding purchasing a car in Texas, the types of vehicles easy to maintain in Belize, as well as information/Belizians who will meet you in Texas and drive you and your car there, dealing with all of the paperwork.  Besides this, I have a definite thing about my dog coming with me... I am only interested in leaving my home for six months, I live in a beautiful area on acreage with amazing views where I am "BUT" it is totally a horrid place to live in the winter.  And my joys of being a skiing person is long gone.
    Tomorrow night at 9:00 EST there is a show on John McAfee which will most likely focus on some of his many issues while in AmberCaye (sp?) which might be interesting.  It does seem though that petty theft on that island and the other one is a gigantic problem daily. 

That is all very good info! Yes, my friend that lives full time on JA paid a ton of $$$ for his Toyota Rav4. We have been weighing the options for years, we are visiting Belize in September just to get a quick feel and if we like it will go back and investigate further.

RE: has anyone been following story of ex-pats murder in Belize? - Aquavit - 05-15-2017

I enjoy being a part-time "expat" in Negril lol. But we have never considered getting a vehicle - we don't really need one and when we do for road trips and such we rent.

A lot of my friends who live full-time in Negril also do not have vehicles and never have in the 20 or 30 years they have been living there.

It seems to me that it would be a huge pain in the ass to have to maintain a vehicle there.