The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Name names - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Name names (/showthread.php?tid=101777)

Name names - JonTom - 04-19-2017

I think JA libel laws hinder politicians from naming people in accusations. Maybe it is just some other precedent, but note that people are rarely named. In any case, can someone tell me who the narcotics/deportee is?

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/lead-stories/20170419/bunting-questions-400m-contract-awarded-convict-montague-accuses-him

RE: Name names - Oldtimer2 - 04-19-2017

Does this surprise you .

RE: Name names - JonTom - 04-19-2017

(04-19-2017, 12:19 PM)oldtimer Wrote:  Does this surprise you .

Which part? (awarding a large government contract to a convict? or the lack of naming the person in parliament?)

I guess the answer is the same either way: "No".

RE: Name names - kylake - 04-24-2017

RE: Name names - JonTom - 05-01-2017

I'm still interested to know the name of the deportee, if anyone knows.

But, I was reminded of this thread by today's cartoon in The Observer (I would post a link, but they've been having some issue with the cartoon URL for the past week or so - for me anyway - which takes me to a cartoon from months ago. I can still read today's cartoon in the column on the right of the main page).

The cartoon makes it clear that the "Lottery Scammers" extradited to the US for trial are all PNP supporters.
("Then comrade, if dem extradite all a dem then who gwine vote for us in the next election?" - says the orange clad PNP politician).

How can Clovis get away with that, yet people in parliament are scared to name a person?

Jamaican laws/customs are endlessly fascinating.

RE: Name names - CardBoardBox - 05-01-2017

A politians job is to get elected, NOT govern wisey.

Making waves against the "other party" is a method of getting more of "their people" into jobs after the next election. There does seem to be some real meat in the accusations, but nothing would be gained by the "Opposition Spokesman" to name the person / company.

If anything, the expense or the underordering of police cars of a publicly humilated (accused) company might 1. cause some backlash (yea, as if the politians would allow a law where they could be sued), or 2. cause an influx of vechicles which were inappropiate to their use to explain where the first 200 million went.

One would hope the party or people who issued the contract shared in correcting what is wrong. The comments to the April story are closed on the web site, but there wasn't much there.

I think the use of the word "Opposition" pretty well sums up the situation overall. Just like in American, you can be pro or con about something. Implying "Progress" the opposite of "Congress"

RE: Name names - JonTom - 05-03-2017

Thanks CCB for the reply and explanation.

I suppose a politician can score points without naming names. I think Lisa Hanna's recent allegations against Babsy Grange for some high $ consultant fees worked the same way. She got the topic going in parliament (and the news) and never named the consultant (or her firm).

FWIW, this is the cartoon I meant (their links seem to have been fixed)
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/article/20170501/ARTICLE/170509989/1566