The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Jamaicajeanne... - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Jamaicajeanne... (/showthread.php?tid=101672)

Jamaicajeanne... - Oldtimer2 - 02-03-2017

If I have said or if I have implied anything negative about you I apologize to the nth degree. All I need now is an apologize to Jenny from Rob about his harsh email to her . Maybe what should happen is to print the email and let people judge for themselves , but that wouldn't be very classy . Let him post it for all to read ,that would have class. My 1st trip to Jamaica was in 1965 so I guess I am the oldtimer .

RE: Jamaicajeanne... - jamaicajeanne - 02-03-2017

Hi Oldtimer,
I honestly do not believe that anyone was referring to you. It actually started on TA and someone said that Negril is now full of old folks.
I also completely understand that some have bad feelings. No apologies necessary as you were one of the kinder responses.
I agree posting old messages is not classy and I understand that something really bad was said about or against your friend....I can understand that.

What I really wonder today is "can't everyone just take a deep breath and let a few things go"? I would love to see both message boards be a kinder and more welcoming place. I would love to participate in both places without all of the sarcasm (not from you) and anger. Ultimately these boards are supposed to be about a place that we all love, but that message seems to get lost. I did not start coming to the Island until about 5 years ago so I am a complete newbie compared to some of you and I would like to learn about the places and things that you have experienced.

Cool Runnings Oldtimer!

RE: Jamaicajeanne... - daniel - 02-03-2017

That's what I took most from the thread , it started as a rumor and speculation discussion , and to his credit , Negril.com. is pretty much spot on , in my opinion , on that issue . It doesn't help anyone to spread rumors , and can be hurtful . Also true is Negril beach crowd is grey and getting older . 

Jamaicajeanne  , no problem , great post on both boards , never feel bad for speaking from the heart .  One love

RE: Jamaicajeanne... - Boobycay - 02-04-2017

Negril is visited by older people because they are the ones with the $$, if younger people who that haven't traveled a lot vacation they tend to go to all inclusive. Negril does offer all inclusive, but I think there are more non all inclusive properties.I don't think anyone means any harm in saying that Negril has an older crowd

RE: Jamaicajeanne... - Oldtimer2 - 02-04-2017

Thank you JJ . About 96% of the "imfamous" negativity on this board has to do about safety or the lack there of .When something bad happened to a visitor it was portrayed as if the person caused it themselves . This could be true but as pointed out the average is not spring chicken age it is becoming I can't protect myself age . It's crap like don't use route taxi's and stuff like that . I understand completely that the " board " has to portray love , peace and safety . I'm not going to go on and on even though I would love to . There are so many lovely people on this board and that board and on any board but to be called rejects ( not by you ) is kind of was anti productive on relationship if you ask me .

RE: Jamaicajeanne... - jamaicajeanne - 02-06-2017

OT,
It would be a much kinder world if we all just took a minute to think about the words we chose to use and to further exacerbate the problem, you can not really get a feel for the intended tone in a posting.

There are awesome people everywhere and it is a shame when some get hurt, frustrated or ignored.  It is also unfair to group folks into one category or another.  By nature, I am a rule follower...can't help it.  Do I always succeed? certainly not!  I know that there are "guidelines" on the other board and there must be some here too because if you click and start scrolling through the members on this board, you will also see folks who are banned. I have no need to know WHY anyone was banned, but someone, somewhere decided that they did not deserve to be a member of this board Smile 

I also agree that the message boards should include discussions of safety.  The climbing violence in Negril definitely a concern, but I personally feel that there has to be some form of verification.  Just because it is on social media does not make it a verified incident.  In the world we live in today, we seem to want instant answers/instant gratification and it appears as though many unscrupulous "news" agencies are happy to provide "fake" stories.   Who does it help to report fake, made up, embellished or inaccurate news?  In my opinion, it helps no one....not the families seeking justice and not the potential tourist to the island.  As a matter fact, it may make tourists not want to travel to Jamaica at all and that certainly does not help the island we love.  However, if a tourist is armed with correct and verified information, they would see that crimes against tourists are not the normal course of business.  As for someone blaming a tourist for his own death, that was hinted at on several message boards/outlets....the suggestion that there is/was more to the story is certainly possible.  Some tourists forget about personal safety and unfortunately allow themselves to get into some trouble.  Many of us talk about Jamaica being a paradise and then some forget all about personal safety rules....I see pretty phones, flashy jewelry and fancy handbags every time I am there.  I also see drunk tourists and stoned tourists...am I a goody two shoes?...not at all, remember, I am an old hippie, wink wink!, but I try to be smart enough not to get myself into a bad situation...like walking the beach at night, waving cash around or walking the West End Road...that road is narrow and dark and the traffic seems to zip by quickly!

As for the aging population, we are all in the same boat.  I have already declared myself to be an old hippie, but really, I was born at the very tail end of the baby boomers.  I was raised camping, hiking, fishing and hunting.  I raised my 2 girls to camp in a tent, hike, fish and hunt.  However, due to my aging, I can no longer sleep on the ground or take a day hike to the top of a mountain which makes a warm beach and ocean sound very appealing.  As scrappy as my attitude can be, I clearly know that I could not completely defend myself in a bad situation...about a 1 1/2 years ago, I had a 6 inch tumor in my knee.  Luckily it was not cancer, but I can no longer "run away" from a situation, LOL!  I live in a small agricultural town 30 miles west of Omaha, NE.  I commute everyday to Omaha to sit at my desk and position of 17 years.  I am a banker and have been lucky enough to have never been in a robbery and some would never think it couldn't happen here as we are in a more upscale area of the city.  Well, 12/16/16 I had 2 very large guns shoved in my face during a hostile takeover robbery.  Luckily, no one was injured or killed and we handed over the money...things are tough everywhere, but I have not stopped going to work and I will continue to travel to Jamaica and I will continue to be vigilant of my own personal safety.

Challenge for today....say something kind to the ones you love and also say something kind to a stranger.  

Cool runnings!

RE: Jamaicajeanne... - shipmaster - 02-06-2017

Ditto....

Respect

RE: Jamaicajeanne... - Oldtimer2 - 02-07-2017

Well said JJ . The age in Negril ( tourists ) is WAY !!! older . You very seldom see youth on the beach .Having said that if Negril is going to support oldsters then it MUST !!!! be safety being their 1st priority . I have never backed down from anything in my life , lifestyle alone allowed me the physicial ability to be the best in the room on most occasions which always gave me the " higher swag ". But not now . The places that will survive are the A/I's. They are your best chance for safety if all your looking for is sun ,water and to be left alone . Treehouse is now perfect for me . Safety , beautiful breakfast , a nice place to eat and a very short walk to numerous local places to eat  , which I do each day . It would be great if all youth had the guidance that Linston has which should be automatic . Next winter I again am renting a villa in the TB area for 2 weeks ( safety being the factor ) so my family can come and go and then finishing in Negril for a week for me before returning to Nova Scotia .