The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 41 - File: inc/class_session.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_session.php 41 errorHandler->error
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Hurricane Matthew - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Hurricane Matthew (/showthread.php?tid=101557)

Pages: 1 2

Hurricane Matthew - kylake - 09-30-2016

Here is a link to Storm Carib. If you click on Jamaica you can read what people that live there are reporting.
http://www.stormcarib.com/

RE: Hurricane Matthew - CardBoardBox - 10-01-2016

I did as Kylake suggested (?) and clicked on the island name and read the posting on the msg/bulletin board.
Hightlinghts; Gilbert was Category 3. This one is a 4 and only 5 MPH less than a cat 5 storm.

My memories of Gilbert / Ivan and what Sunday's arrival may bring;

Storm comes, aeroplanes do not. Domino effect will have airline computers and telephone lines (if still up, lol) working hard. Rebooking can be 4 or 3 days after original scheduled flight, but some going down just won't go hence more seats North bound.

As in a movie during a twister: "We have cows (flying)"

Post storm - sales increase for Zink. (aka, metal roof on a board building.) Mangled pieces found by people in need of same.

Hotels - lawn chairs in the swimming pool. Intentional.

Wonder what the beach will do. I watched one of the hotel cams (video feeds) during Ivan but it was just swaying trees.

RE: Hurricane Matthew - kylake - 10-01-2016

CBB, unlike you I don't remember Ivan or Gilbert effects on Jamaica. I do remember what they did elsewhere. 
Here is the latest modeling and from live reporting Ocho (St Ann) electricity is out but must be another type outage not caused by Matthew since it is not there yet.
http://stormcarib.com/models.php?snum=14

RE: Hurricane Matthew - rastagirl777 - 10-02-2016

As of last night's projections the storm is moving east from Jamaica and looking to make a direct hit on Haiti, then Cuba.
That's good news all around - the eastern part of the island is going to get fairly mashed up but not as badly as it would have had the storm made landfall on Kingston as previously projected.
I do believe the storm has now been downgraded to a Cat 3 but that seems to change hourly.

Negril will be spared the worst of it.  Our friends will experience rain and wind similar to a tropical storm.  There will be storm surge, 3-5' I think they were saying.  It will not in any way shape or form devastate the way Ivan did 12 years ago.

I remember both Gilbert and Ivan, Ivan in particular since I was on-island 6 weeks after the storm.  Things were still somewhat surreal - still shortages on certain food items (not a banana to be seen that entire season for example), Catcha Falling Star in ruins - looking very mad-max (before it was sold to the current owner).  Ricks completely gone and not to return for another year.  What struck me most was the tree-line, or lack thereof after that storm.  My friend has a 4 story house on Hylton Ave.  You could see the sea just from that 4th story/roof deck before Ivan - after Ivan my friend who lived on the 3rd floor had a clear view of the Carribean.  Also, it was dry as a bone.  After Ivan it did not rain in Negril for 9 months.

Thankfully the houses in my yard were not too mashed up but several "new" blow holes opened up around the property.  That might happen again with this storm...or at least expand the ones already there.

RE: Hurricane Matthew - Mattjamaica - 10-02-2016

I was on the island for both Ivan and Dean, both were hovering on teh border line of Cat 4 to Cat 5 systems. Ivan did a lot more damage as it was moving very slow, if i remember correctly the closest it came was about 35 miles from the south coast. We had no current for about 3 months and no water for 6 weeks. Matthew is moving even slower, so I imagine a lot more rain and sustained winds for sure, land slides in the mountains as well. Looks like it will slip between Jamaica and Haiti somewhere. Here a few pics I took of Ivan aftermath most are from the day after. A TVJ downed tower and weed washed up at Frenchmans in TB are included. The day before Ivan passed, Billy charged "The Zoo" on his own (Harbour View), see attached pic courtesy Brain Nejedly. Ivan washed away the reef so The Zoo is no more. I notice that Billy and his boys have been making the most of Matthew, already surfed Makka and Copa.[attachment=2538][attachment=2539][attachment=2540][attachment=2541][attachment=2542][attachment=2543][attachment=2544][attachment=2545][attachment=2546][attachment=2547]

RE: Hurricane Matthew - Mattjamaica - 10-02-2016

[attachment=2548], pic courtesy Brian Nejedly.

RE: Hurricane Matthew - CardBoardBox - 10-03-2016

I though Gilbert took 3 days to pass. A friend living in a board building took shelter in an unfinished block house and described the insesent (sp?) wind for a longer period as tougher on the mind than Ivan.

2nd hand info that Rick's was one of the few places that had insurance,. which allowed them to rebuild.
I know Tryon's bar got some new zink. The interior was remodeled sometime since then.

RE: Hurricane Matthew - JonTom - 10-03-2016

(10-03-2016, 01:43 PM)kylake... Wrote:  You might want to reword that statement. I doubt you meant it to sound the way it does.

I had a similar thought watching the weather channel Saturday. The broadcaster was showing the "5 day cone" path and said something like "so what you want, is for the path to go to the eastern edge of this possible cone".

Uh, if your interest is the US coast, yes. However if you care about life and/or property in Haiti or Turks&Caicos??? not so much.

RE: Hurricane Matthew - CardBoardBox - 10-03-2016

Accuweather has a video of a rain spout off the coast of Negril. (URL not supplied. It's not a YouTube video, but might end up as such.)

One JA newspaper with Monday's date has stories stating that Kingston recently a $hitload full of rain. My words, after reading their other stories: currently, everywhere, the island weather is carm. Decievedly carm. I can understand why some people aren't taking it seriously.

What kind of ticks me off is, although no one really wants to endure such a storm, the airlines once again took an overly cautious approach. Southwest and Spirit cancelled all flights into MoBay for Monday. With nothing inbound, that means nobody goes home either. That's the bummer.

It's a little like an approaching snow storm which turns into a "partly cloudy". And it's as inconvient as when some yahoo TSA manager closes a terminal for some stupid reason.

One thing I didn't consider is IF the southbound flight was going to be empty, the airline would want to save the $$. Suddenly I don't fault them as much.

The carm B 4 the storm. Everything implies that it's going to be bad. Reminds me of a trivia item about a Sunami in S.E. Asia. The tide went out. Some locals said "fish" because there were fish on the vacated sea bed and went to fetch them. But one village said "head for higher ground." (Thanks to the Internet for the story.)

PS. Bad planning? The airline story had this:
WestJet – Cancelled Flight 2702/3 from/to Toronto for Monday October 3, 2016 WestJet passengers are being rebooked on flight 2702 to depart Montego Bay at 2:10 pm on Tuesday October 4, 2016.

RE: Hurricane Matthew - kylake - 10-03-2016

Mattjamaica, what area of TB was the seaweed picture taken at if you remember? Boy that is literally a ton (several tons) of seaweed and if not cleaned up I cannot imagine the stench as it decomposed.