The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
safegaurd the tourists - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: safegaurd the tourists (/showthread.php?tid=101531)

Pages: 1 2

safegaurd the tourists - JonTom - 09-05-2016

I think G Rattray's articles are usually humorous (with some injected social commentary). I may have missed it in this one.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/commentary/20160905/garth-rattray-safeguard-our-tourist-visitors

RE: safegaurd the tourists - jitterbug - 09-05-2016

read the article and glad to hear jamaicans who live on the island stating that they are scared . . . food for thought . . .

RE: safegaurd the tourists - Oldtimer2 - 09-05-2016

food for thought is correct !!!!!

RE: safegaurd the tourists - Winni - 09-06-2016

Excellent article and thanks for posting.  I totally agree with the point that when locals see the direct benefits from tourism that is when the self policing will come back into effect.  I also liked the idea of undercover security or lowkey as I would put it.  Don't need the army walking around with high powered guns, need the more lowkey security so that the tourists don't get scared off..  There is change on the horizon I feel...

w

RE: safegaurd the tourists - CardBoardBox - 09-07-2016

It is possible to change a persons "mind set" if they will listen, but how does one get to the real people in power.

I'll give the best example of what has to get to the ear of everyone inside the police station to the Security chief (?? there are more than one department) in Kingston;

Confidential information is too risky, so people do not tell the police anything which could become public and bit them in the arse when the bad guy knows who ratted him out.

#2; people don't fink on a thief because they are the ones buying the stuff. 2nd hand info when the all-age-school was broken into decades ago.

new #3; as mentioned, with pix on MiYard msg board, the influx of money has lead to the installation of a really tall pole for a camera system across the street. I'd bet a nickle the install was and will be incorrect, and the system won't work (in more ways than one) nor last.

RE: safegaurd the tourists - Winni - 09-08-2016

cbb they caught the men who killed the tourist in the Westend.  This was due to locals coming forward.  People don't want these bad men around anymore than us non-jamaicans.  I do think change is coming...

RE: safegaurd the tourists - rastagirl777 - 09-09-2016

Last I heard they had one guy in custody for the tourist murder....did they arrest another?  Have they been officially charged and are they in jail?

RE: safegaurd the tourists - JonTom - 09-09-2016

(09-07-2016, 09:24 PM)CardBoardBox Wrote:  ...

Confidential information is too risky, so people do not tell the police anything which could become public and bit them in the arse when the bad guy knows who ratted him out.
I probably shouldn't jest about so serious a topic, but the image, from the JA movie (pretty sure it is "Third World Cop") where the informer-to-be is seated outside the police station with a paper bag over his head, keeps popping into my head. (and the instant the cop goes inside the informer-to-be disappears).

With the prevalence of "informa fi ded" in music and movies (and plenty of "see and blind, hear and deaf" I've witnessed firsthand), I'm not surprised that information  passed from public to police appears to be rare.

RE: safegaurd the tourists - JonTom - 09-09-2016

... but I hope Winni is right.

RE: safegaurd the tourists - Oldtimer2 - 09-09-2016

[quote pid='113153' dateline='1473344548']
me to !!!!
[/quote]