The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php(251) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 251 eval
/printthread.php 122 printthread_multipage
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! (/showthread.php?tid=101450)

Pages: 1 2

Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - Sharleen - 06-20-2016

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/news/20160620/bring-soldiers-now-negril-hoteliers

WESTERN BUREAU:
Coming on the heels of the recent murder of a Canadian tourist in Negril, hoteliers in the resort town are calling for the deployment of members of the Jamaica Defence Force on the streets to uproot the criminals who have been taking up residence there.
Richard Wallace, a director of the Negril Chamber of Com-merce (NCC), told The Gleaner that the deployment of the soldiers is absolutely necessary, especially in light of the rising crime levels, which the police are seemingly unable to curb. He said if this is not done, small hoteliers and business people will suffer in the long run as guests will flock to the perceived safety of all-inclusive hotels.
"I would be in full support of that. One of the things we need to understand is that what we are doing is not new to the world. There are other places that have experienced the same problems that we are having and they have dealt with it," said Wallace, who operates the Boardwalk Village. "There are examples that we can follow, such as Mexico. Mexico has done it and people are still flocking to Mexico.
"The biggest concern I hear about putting soldiers in the resorts is the fear factor that the tourist would feel scared about seeing big guns and military uniforms, but that is not true. People feel safer when they see them around," stated Wallace. "There are many countries in the world that see millions of tourists more than we do Israel for example places like that you always see soldiers; you always see the military. It's becoming commonplace, even in America. You go, you see dogs and guns and all these things."
Gail Jackson, the operator of the Negril Treehouse, told The Gleaner that she is in full support of soldiers permanently stationed in the town.
PUBLIC-RELATIONS NIGHTMARE
"I am a hundred per cent for the soldiers in Negril. I have been to many countries in my life and seen many soldiers in Cuba, Kenya, Colombia .... and that makes me feel safe, so I think it is not a perception of being unsafe. I want the soldiers all over Negril because we have a public-relations nightmare on our hands. It is the truth," said Jackson.
Elaine Bradley, an outspoken member of the Negril chamber, is among those persons who have been clamouring for military presence in the resort town for a long time.
"I think it's a good idea and, my colleagues in the chamber, we think it is a good idea. We even had a suggestion from the general manager of Azul Hotel that the only thing that could calm Mexico was having their soldiers for a three to six months period to clean up the place," said Bradley. "They tried everything that we tried ad it never worked until they brought soldiers in.
"And tourists, they are not afraid of seeing soldiers; they feel safer, so all this rubbish that it will be seen as a military state and all that, that's nonsense," continued Bradley. "A lot of the bike riders, they don't respect the police, they just push them aside. The only respect they will have is if they see soldiers, and we need them to be in Negril.

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - rastagirl777 - 06-20-2016

I spoke to my friend in Negril on Saturday...the soldiers are there.  She said the last time she remembers soldiers being in Negril was when the Valentines Day Riot happened some 20 odd years ago.

She and my other friends there are grateful for their presence and hoping they will begin and continue what will be a long process of making the place safe again.  She also told me that unmarked police cars have been cruising the west end at night.  Police out at night patrolling...I'll take that.

I'll take anything that will help this situation and I'm glad this tragedy with this tourist has sparked some action.  Lord knows these measures are long overdue.

As far as soldiers and tourists - when you travel around the world some soldiers in airports are not an uncommon sighting.  Is it unsettling?  A little.  When my god daughter traveled to Israel with her Birthright group they had armed soldiers with them the entire time, even a few undercover Mosad agents at times.

After 9-11 soldiers were a constant presence for at least a year in every airport I traveled to.  I got used to seeing army vehicles and armed soldiers at the approaches to the Golden Gate and Bay Bridges and at all the crossings in and out of Manhattan.

I say bring it.  And bring it hard.  They seem to be making some headway with the bike thing, did some raid in Redground I hear.  I even read they've identified a suspect or suspects...its wait and see now.  Its going to be a long summer.

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - Winni - 06-20-2016

I would support the military presence but I hope they will be trained in dealing with tourists and the locals.  By locals, I mean people who belong on the Westend ie residents and employed people.

I was on the Westend during the Valentines riot 20 years ago and it was indeed unnerving.  In fact, we were sitting eating dinner at Serious Chicken when it all went down and the military walked into the restaurant to see if everyone was safe.  There was gunshots being heard all around us.  We waited till it was over and high tailed back to the yard we were staying in.  There was lots of talk goin on let me tell you.  Riot mentality is never a good thing...  For those who don't know the reason it all began was due to the apparent mistreatment of a pregnant woman selling flowers for valentines day by a Redcap.  Redcaps were hired by the NCC to patrole the Westend and they took advantage of the authority bestowed upon them.  This is why I worry about the military coming into Negril and hopefully they will be held accountable for their actions...

w

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - Passion4Diving - 06-20-2016

Good points, as the coordination between the JDF and the JCF is essential.  Why have two forces roaming around with guns that have not idea of the "law enforcement" strategy between the two.  Assuming both want law enforcement and know how to do it.

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - kylake - 06-20-2016

If handled correctly this could definitely be a plus. If handled incorrectly this could result in what Winni experienced 20 years ago. BTW, thanks for the history Winni!

Let's hope it is all handled correctly this time and not just a flash in the night treatment of the problem and something that is more long lasting and with real effect.

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - Blues Pirate - 06-20-2016

I posted the article link on TA thinking that it would be some positive news for tourists and some idiots with their own agendas decided it should be deleted and had the thread shut down. Also one very busy member disagreed with the idea before it was deleted implying it was a waste of time to stop the violence, drugs and prostitution won't change and that Negril is the same safe place now as it always was blah blah blah. Stupid is as stupid does!

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - booger - 06-20-2016

(06-20-2016, 07:23 PM)Blues Pirate Wrote:  I posted the article link on TA thinking that it would be some positive news for tourists and some idiots with their own agendas decided it should be deleted and had the thread shut down. Also one very busy member disagreed with the idea before it was deleted implying it was a waste of time to stop the violence, drugs and prostitution won't change and that Negril is the same safe place now as it always was blah blah blah. Stupid is as stupid does!

Blinded by BBC. I have seen this same approach way too much. 

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - CardBoardBox - 06-20-2016

I can understand why TA wouldn't want conversations going that direction. And why should they advocate "remember to duck?" My view is the Gleaner article is of interest to us but is basically an 'aside' story.

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - Oldtimer2 - 06-21-2016

Maybe Bobby and company can stop it . Things like yelling " stop it bad guy " and " your going to get in trouble mister ". That should do the trick...

RE: Negril hotel owners-bring in soldiers NOW! - CardBoardBox - 06-21-2016

Three humorous sentences. But shouldn't the "mister" be "Buddy" or am I thinking of some other island.

BTW, an ostrich doesn't actually bury his head in the sand; It puts it on the ground to listen (my humor follows) for the elephant wearing the red sneakers.

Do not quote paragraph 2 as true without researching it. Also, I have never seen one hiding in the strawberry patch hence elephants may not actually exist and my post wouldn't be allowed at all.

How about giving everyone a whistle when they get off the plane. Of course there'd be another tax on the ticket for 'security enhancements.'

Reality; I do not mind seeing military anywhere. It is a little disconcerning and reassuring, but at home injects a fear that we might have begun to erase the words Freedom from any public document/saying