The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined variable $css_align - Line: 1129 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1129 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1156 postParser->mycode_parse_img
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_img_callback2
/inc/class_parser.php 485 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 177 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 182 postParser->parse_message
Warning [2] Undefined variable $css_align - Line: 1129 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1129 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1156 postParser->mycode_parse_img
[PHP]   postParser->mycode_parse_img_callback2
/inc/class_parser.php 485 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 177 postParser->parse_mycode
/printthread.php 182 postParser->parse_message
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Jamaica/Orlando - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Jamaica/Orlando (/showthread.php?tid=101444)

Jamaica/Orlando - Firemon - 06-16-2016

Jamaica's attorney general has sparked criticism after saying it was "disrespectful" to Jamaican law for the US embassy to fly a rainbow flag following the Orlando shooting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-36537088

Others though defended her right to speak out. "This is her country, not America," said one comment on Facebook.

RE: Jamaica/Orlando - kylake - 06-17-2016

Firemon, it took me about 3 trips before I realized how homophobic the majority of people are in Jamaica. I was having a conversation with a very well educated Jamaican when realized how deep the resent of gay people is in Jamaica.

RE: Jamaica/Orlando - Sharleen - 06-17-2016

okay, flashback to 1972 Negril... I realize that a good majority of you were possibly not even born by then.  It was a nice time in Negril in those days.  Anyhow, there was this one guy Michael, who I didn't realize whatsoever that he was gay, but one of the guys vacationing from their work on the Alaskan pipeline told me that Michael "creeped him out".  I was very young so quite a bit of things probably just went over my head.  In 1972 a one or two week vacation wasn 't even in the picture, most people there stayed minimally for six weeks, with most staying 3-6 months or even longer.
    Well, evidently Michael was sighted having "homosexual relations" on the beach.  I swear to God, the army came.... THE ARMY!!!  and arrested him and deported him.  The only two people who might have been around then might have been CaptainD & oldtimer, though I think Oldtimer was on the other side of the island.  CaptainD, this was a good three years before I was hanging at Elvira's place when Ruthie was staying there. Through these years I forget Ruthie's husbands name, who for sure had a distinctive "Ochi" accent. 
    Anyhow, I can still picture Michael, I wasn't around the day the army came and got him -- at least not right there on the beach that day but the word spread FAST!! 

RE: Jamaica/Orlando - Firemon - 06-25-2016

RE: Jamaica/Orlando - Firemon - 06-25-2016

RE: Jamaica/Orlando - rastagirl777 - 06-27-2016

Coming off of Pride Weekend here in San Francisco...

While an embassy is considered that country's "soil" the whole point of its inhabitants - the diplomats - is to NOT piss anybody off.  Its called cultural sensitivity.  Would they fly a Rainbow Flag from the US embassy in Saudi Arabia?  I highly doubt it.

Awareness is a good thing - and slowly things are changing for LGBT in Jamaica...but look at the US, it takes a whole lot of TIME to shift a cultural and public vibe.  Inflaming the public is so not the way to do it.

So while yes, the Embassy can fly any flag it wants as an Embassy - it should know better.

RE: Jamaica/Orlando - Passion4Diving - 06-28-2016

Technically, the Diplomatic Relations Convention of 1961 does not automatically grant extraterritorial privileges, which many folks automatically believe.

Here is the section of that document that is relevant:

Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations 1961.

Article 22
1. The premises of the mission shall be inviolable. The agents of the receiving State may not enter them, except with the consent of the head of the mission.

2. The receiving State is under a special duty to take all appropriate steps to protect the premises of the mission against any intrusion or damage and to prevent any disturbance of the peace of the mission or impairment of its dignity.

3. The premises of the mission, their furnishings and other property thereon and the means of transport of the mission shall be immune from search, requisition, attachment or execution.

This means that Article 22 enforces only the protection and integrity of the premises (i.e. the host nation is not allowed to enter the premises without consent, including acts of war) BUT it does NOT grant extraterritoriality (i.e. a US Embassy being legally US soil) - so US laws DO NOT necessarily apply within the Embassy premises.

That said, a host country can grant extraterritoriality status to foreign embassies; Jamaica as part of the Commonwealth, has granted extraterritoriality status to embassies within their Nation.

As to Forte's tweet, in my opinion, this woman's attitude once again demonstrates how the formerly-opprerssed become the oppressor in a misguided interpretation of religion.  It is not against Jamaican law to be homosexual (and more broadly the LGBT community), it is (sadly) against the law to engage in homosexual acts.  Further, I read that she had a number of tweets from her fellow citizens saying she was wrong and insensitive. So at least that shows there are some people there who recognize that human life is more valuable than any personal view and when something like this happens its more important to stand together than to share those views.

What the Jamaican PM expressed was far more relevant: a terrible attack on humanity.  

Many US Embassies around the world place the rainbow flag below the US flag and raised it to half staff.

RE: Jamaica/Orlando - Firemon - 07-03-2016

Current Jamaica Observer poll confirms gay rights unpopularity.   

Do you believe the USA disrespected Jamaica by flying rainbow flag half-mast?

Total Votes: 7313

Yes
[Image: bar.gif]
59.15%

No
[Image: bar.gif]
40.85%

RE: Jamaica/Orlando - Bruce - 07-03-2016

Too bad if some Jamaican people feel disrespected. Their archaic attitudes deserve it.