The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Trying to access array offset on value of type null - Line: 5195 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 5195 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_session.php 505 my_strlen
/inc/class_session.php 360 session->create_session
/inc/class_session.php 76 session->load_guest
/global.php 54 session->init
/printthread.php 16 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 47 - File: global.php(766) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(766) : eval()'d code 47 errorHandler->error
/global.php 766 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "style" - Line: 824 - File: global.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php 824 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$lang_select_default - Line: 4682 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 4682 errorHandler->error
/global.php 824 build_theme_select
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 172 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/printthread.php 177 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 172 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 177 - File: printthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

Jamericans
Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - Printable Version

+- Jamericans (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard)
+-- Forum: Jamaicaholics (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Message Board (https://jamericans.net/yellowboard/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm (/showthread.php?tid=101440)

Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - Sharleen - 06-11-2016

updated information, if this report is correct, it doesn't necesarily sound 'random':
A Canadian national, who was vacationing in Jamaica with his girlfriend and his father, was shot and killed Friday night in Negril.
Loop News has been informed that the incident occurred around 9 o’clock as he, his girlfriend and his father were walking along the West End main road.
Two men on a bike rode up to them and one got off of the bike and opened fire on the victim.
It isn’t clear if they were robbed. The assailants made good their escape.
More details later.

RE: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - Sharleen - 06-11-2016

A Canadian man was killed early Saturday during a robbery in West End, Negril,Westmoreland.

He has been identified as Dennis Palakai,35, of  a Toronto address.
Reports are that shortly after 3pm Palakai and his girlfriend were walking to their hotel from a bar on the West End main road when men drove up on a motorcycle and grabbed the woman's handbag.
Palakai intervened and was shot. He was pronounced dead at hospital.
The woman was not hurt.
It's understood that they were repeat visitors to Jamaica.
above is from rjr news

RE: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - Firemon - 06-11-2016

Probably a good thing the media didn't refer to the locale as along (sic) One Love Drive.

RE: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - Flintstone - 06-11-2016

Very disturbing, according to one of the comments in the Observer it happened near Xtabi. Observer Jan . 11 2016. Men on motorcycles robbing and shooting... I think I heard this story once before... somewhere around tykes bikes, a few years back, this time one of my countries citizens killed. SO Sad.

RE: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - CardBoardBox - 06-12-2016

The 3PM might be a typo. So far, all news mention 9PM.
The handbag grab is a new (to me, but I did not visit RJR news.) Even the one Sunday story

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Police-search-for-Canadian-tourist-s-killer_63706w

which includes the standard lip-service AND of having an increase in protection by the military, mention no robbery, but I put as much creedance (sp?) in printed news as in that the problems will be solved.

I liked one of the comments in the above URL: As long as leaders sit on their hands and make frequent announcements, instead of seeking outside assistance ....

Bad example tangent; remember that  Welcome to One Love Drive structure where the road curves? It has fallen into disrepair.

RE: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - wendy - 06-12-2016

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/Police-search-for-Canadian-tourist-s-killer_63706

Read a few of the comments, this George dude may be onto something, hired killing.

RE: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - wendy - 06-12-2016

I've always said, you don't get killed for nothing.....sorry to say.

RE: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - rastagirl777 - 06-12-2016

"Very disturbing, according to one of the comments in the Observer it happened near Xtabi. "
I heard (it was not reported in the Media...just word on ground....) that it was in front of Kaisers which is near Xtabi.  Desolate place that.

And the rumors begin - hired killing etc.  We may never know the truth.  Again, word in Negril (by phone yesterday) is that the bad men cornered the group while walking back to SamSara on motorbikes, demanded the bag in question and fired 2 rounds in the air.  When the boyfriend resisted the Dad (?) was shot 4 times.

Again....this is what I "hear" this is NOT an official report.  Before I heard that I wanted so badly to believe this was not some random pot shots taken at a tourist.  This situation is bad enough but imagine if these thugs are now rolling around using tourists as targets?  Too much to bare.  I immediately jumped to my first theory (drug deal gone bad) but the more I think about it the robbery scenario seems the most "realistic".

Blech.  In the end it doesn't matter "why".  It matters because it just matters.

RE: Canadian tourist w/ Dad and girlfriend 9pm - rastagirl777 - 06-12-2016

"Probably a good thing the media didn't refer to the locale as along (sic) One Love Drive."

I don't know that the rest of Jamaica would understand "One Love Drive" - it was referred to as the "Main Road" along the West End so those with knowledge of the area would understand the general locale.

One Love Drive was a named dreamed up by the Negril Cluster (the group of business people on the West End) for tourism purposes.  The actual name of the road is West End Road (used to be Lighthouse Road).

Another thought:  By not using the tourist name of the place it might not be glaringly apparent how in the middle of "tourist things" this nightmare happened.